Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > True2ourselves.com Help > General Questions  > Thread "ownership"

Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
SeraphimH

Default Thread "ownership"

Not sure where to put this thread, feel free to move it if its not the right place.

If I post something as an OP, I want as many diverse opinions as possible in the thread. Since when did we have the right to boot or complain about posts in our threads, other than the use of the "report post" button (and that's only for blatant violations in protocol)? Do we own the threads we start? If so, is that the job of the moderator to remove people from our threads, or our job? It seems awfully close-minded to me to only accept posts on perspectives congruent to our own. Certainly if the thread derails into a debate about something else, then that's reason to complain, but to try to silence every poster that doesn't agree with the OP seems like tyranny to me.

Maybe it's just me.

Thoughts anyone? Admins or moderator responses?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Thread "ownership"

The short answer, is the person that starts the thread has no real say so in regards to what goes on in the thread... once the post is made public, it's fair game for all members (subject to the forum rules).

That being said, we usually give the OP a little say so (subject to our agreement). If they really want to close the thread, for example, then we'll usually do it (everything depending on everything).

Hope this answers your question.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM
SeraphimH

It does. Thank you Mark.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphimH View Post
Not sure where to put this thread, feel free to move it if its not the right place.

If I post something as an OP, I want as many diverse opinions as possible in the thread. Since when did we have the right to boot or complain about posts in our threads, other than the use of the "report post" button (and that's only for blatant violations in protocol)? Do we own the threads we start? If so, is that the job of the moderator to remove people from our threads, or our job? It seems awfully close-minded to me to only accept posts on perspectives congruent to our own. Certainly if the thread derails into a debate about something else, then that's reason to complain, but to try to silence every poster that doesn't agree with the OP seems like tyranny to me.

Maybe it's just me.

Thoughts anyone? Admins or moderator responses?
Since I recently declared "my thread, my rules", and "this is your thread and you're free of course to do as you will in leading it", I thought I'd join in here.

For me, starting an OP implies responsibility to the posters to provide some level of facilitation. This includes probing to bring out more info, making sure those who traditionally are not heard or are "attacked" can have their say, bringing the topic back online, and all those other things that goes with the normal rules of facilitating a group conversation. It is not my intent to limit interaction to only like minded people, rather to limit interaction to amicable interaction. But I find myself stretching more and more lately to achieve this even for myself.

I am a human and how I see things is not necessarily how they should be. Forgive me if I am too aggressive in my handling of my threads or in my interactions with others on their threads. I do not mean to take on things that are beyond me or my simple role here. I know and trust the role of our admin and moderators and trust them to carry on their fine work.

Blessings to all, Peggy
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFinishedYet View Post
Since I recently declared "my thread, my rules", and "this is your thread and you're free of course to do as you will in leading it", I thought I'd join in here.

For me, starting an OP implies responsibility to the posters to provide some level of facilitation. This includes probing to bring out more info, making sure those who traditionally are not heard or are "attacked" can have their say, bringing the topic back online, and all those other things that goes with the normal rules of facilitating a group conversation. It is not my intent to limit interaction to only like minded people, rather to limit interaction to amicable interaction. But I find myself stretching more and more lately to achieve this even for myself.

I am a human and how I see things is not necessarily how they should be. Forgive me if I am too aggressive in my handling of my threads or in my interactions with others on their threads. I do not mean to take on things that are beyond me or my simple role here. I know and trust the role of our admin and moderators and trust them to carry on their fine work.

Blessings to all, Peggy
Right, generally the op comes with some responsibility of keeping people on topic, etc. There has to be some parameters of a thread and generally, the op sets this tone. They can ask someone to either keep within the bounds of the thread, or leave the thread. They certainly have a right to keep their thread from derailing. If someone is getting out of line in the thread, certainly the person who started the thread can say something about it. If something is getting out of control, they, or another person, can call the admins in. As Mark said, normally if the person who started the thread wants it closed, it is closed. However, there are going to be disagreements, and that of itself does not warrent asking a person to leave a thread provided they are staying within the bounds of discourse and general behavioral standards.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
RollingThunder

Where Moderation is concerned, it's important to recognize that the burner under a pot of grease has been lit. What I mean is, it's important to recognize a post within a thread will derail or bIow up the thread outside the bounds of the topic; preemptively doing something like turning the burner off, rather than wait and then try to put out a grease fire.

People are people and whether Christian or not, forums are all the same. Moderation to large extent is as much about protecting the integrity of the forum, and protection from abusive posters, highjacking of threads, and honestly, to protect people from themselves. To the last part some may say to that, huh? Yes, neutralizing something before it becomes a volatile situation is a benefit to all members.

God Bless.