Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > True2ourselves.com Help > General Questions  > Who baptized John?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 PM

Default Who baptized John?

Who baptized John the Baptist? If anyone knows the answer please reply

Last edited by Brandon : 03-27-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Who baptized John?

GOD

Lk. 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be FILLED WITH THE Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

In God and Jesus

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnois View Post
GOD

Lk. 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be FILLED WITH THE Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

In God and Jesus

John
Good answer.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 AM

There is no record of anyone Baptizing john ... with water. unto repentance . the only conversation we see in regards to John being baptized in any respect was when Jesus said to him in regards to his Baptism ,, was let it be so now for it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness , so somewhere in the relationship or ministry of Jesus himself, John must have been baptized but there is no record of who or by whom it took place. I could be wrong if you find out let me know ok// lord bless
Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzeikielsWatchmen View Post
There is no record of anyone Baptizing john ... with water. unto repentance . the only conversation we see in regards to John being baptized in any respect was when Jesus said to him in regards to his Baptism ,, was let it be so now for it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness , so somewhere in the relationship or ministry of Jesus himself, John must have been baptized but there is no record of who or by whom it took place. I could be wrong if you find out let me know ok// lord bless
You are not wrong. There is no record of it. Indeed, it's not too important to know who baptized John. Cause the water baptism is not the only baptism. One thing I know, John had not been baptized by the Spirit yet. He died before the Holy Spirit was sent by God.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 PM

Before John baptized so did the High Priests. They stood behind a curtain while reciting scripture and would baptize by immersion. This is why there were always big pools of water at solomon's temple. Like the one held up by the 12 oxen.

If you look in any detailed encyclopedia under baptism it will give a brief history of it. I am sure he was baptized by one of the High Priests.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:08 PM

The "pool" you describe, here, within Solomon's temple - held up by 12 oxen - that is the description of the Brazen sea. This was purposed to be an altar. "For this and other metal work in the temple Solomon sent to Tyre for a skilled bronze worker called Hiram. "An altar of brass was made for the burnt offerings; a brazen 'sea' in hemispherical form was cast and set up on twelve brazen oxen that faced toward the four directions of the compass. Brazen bases for ten lavers were made ornamented with figures of lions, oxen and cherubim."
- Nina Jidejian, Byblos Through the Ages

There are no references to Baptism by immersion in the Old Testament. Period. The "pool" in the "brazen sea," held up by oxen (was some 15feet wide and 7 feet deep), was a spin-off of Egyptian pagan rituals. Remember Solomon ultimately embraced nearly every pagan ritual of his constituents. I've never found any source, credible or not, that made reference to the High Priests conducting any form of Baptism. But I welcome those who initiated this post to make reference to the source. Quite frankly, there is no other explanation for the "brazen sea" and it's function, except that it is consistent with rituals culminated from a diversity of pagan rituals.

What is regularly described in the Old Testament is the ritual ablutions - or washings for purification. Several smaller "pools" were also in the temple, ornate with lions, cherubim, etc. and repeated historical references firmly establishes the use of that "water" in those lesser "pools" being used for purification ritual. Jesus also used the vessels containing the water for ritual ablutions to perform his miracle of turning water to wine at the wedding. The symbolism here is quite different than the symbolism commonly accepted for Baptism. "Are you washed in the Blood of the Lamb?" Purification vs. rebirth and resurrection.

Personally, I would accept the practice of High Priests performing some form of Baptism ritual, were it historically documented. The practices of the High Priests, began initially by direct instruction from God, and became ritual tradition passed from generation to generation. I've found no references to such a practice, particularly by immersion, as this poster so claims - despite most other rituals came from instruction and was regularly documented historically. Again I welcome references to specific sources for the practice of Baptism, and it's symbolism prior to Christ's ministry.

What has been commonly accepted as the symbolism for redemption, resurrection, and "baptism" within the temple come from the writings of Philip. He describes the passage from room to room within the temple, including "the Holy," "Holy of the Holy," and "the Holy of Holies." These were separate chambers within the temple that one would pass through, symbolizing one's access to GOD. This is consistent with most temples constructed during that era of the Exodus until the Roman Empire. Huge buildings were constructed with passage through long, columnar corridors that ultimately led into an isolated inner chamber, where the proposed god was to inhabit and the chamber most rituals were conducted in the service of that god. Eventually, as recognized by modern archeologists, these temples, became inverted when built to serve the God of Judaism where a worshiper would "start" from an isolated inner chamber, and exit through a corridor that expanded, opening into a greater expanse. All symbolism.

But, the symbolism of Baptism, as addressed here, and purposed to have "Baptized John" should only be taken in the context of his baptism by the Spirit while in the womb. Water immersion, as far as I've researched, had not existed in practices by the High Priests of the day. But I would accept correction, provided I was directed to verifiable sources.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmogen View Post
The "pool" you describe, here, within Solomon's temple - held up by 12 oxen - that is the description of the Brazen sea. This was purposed to be an altar. "For this and other metal work in the temple Solomon sent to Tyre for a skilled bronze worker called Hiram. "An altar of brass was made for the burnt offerings; a brazen 'sea' in hemispherical form was cast and set up on twelve brazen oxen that faced toward the four directions of the compass. Brazen bases for ten lavers were made ornamented with figures of lions, oxen and cherubim."
- Nina Jidejian, Byblos Through the Ages

There are no references to Baptism by immersion in the Old Testament. Period. The "pool" in the "brazen sea," held up by oxen (was some 15feet wide and 7 feet deep), was a spin-off of Egyptian pagan rituals. Remember Solomon ultimately embraced nearly every pagan ritual of his constituents. I've never found any source, credible or not, that made reference to the High Priests conducting any form of Baptism. But I welcome those who initiated this post to make reference to the source. Quite frankly, there is no other explanation for the "brazen sea" and it's function, except that it is consistent with rituals culminated from a diversity of pagan rituals.

What is regularly described in the Old Testament is the ritual ablutions - or washings for purification. Several smaller "pools" were also in the temple, ornate with lions, cherubim, etc. and repeated historical references firmly establishes the use of that "water" in those lesser "pools" being used for purification ritual. Jesus also used the vessels containing the water for ritual ablutions to perform his miracle of turning water to wine at the wedding. The symbolism here is quite different than the symbolism commonly accepted for Baptism. "Are you washed in the Blood of the Lamb?" Purification vs. rebirth and resurrection.

Personally, I would accept the practice of High Priests performing some form of Baptism ritual, were it historically documented. The practices of the High Priests, began initially by direct instruction from God, and became ritual tradition passed from generation to generation. I've found no references to such a practice, particularly by immersion, as this poster so claims - despite most other rituals came from instruction and was regularly documented historically. Again I welcome references to specific sources for the practice of Baptism, and it's symbolism prior to Christ's ministry.

What has been commonly accepted as the symbolism for redemption, resurrection, and "baptism" within the temple come from the writings of Philip. He describes the passage from room to room within the temple, including "the Holy," "Holy of the Holy," and "the Holy of Holies." These were separate chambers within the temple that one would pass through, symbolizing one's access to GOD. This is consistent with most temples constructed during that era of the Exodus until the Roman Empire. Huge buildings were constructed with passage through long, columnar corridors that ultimately led into an isolated inner chamber, where the proposed god was to inhabit and the chamber most rituals were conducted in the service of that god. Eventually, as recognized by modern archeologists, these temples, became inverted when built to serve the God of Judaism where a worshiper would "start" from an isolated inner chamber, and exit through a corridor that expanded, opening into a greater expanse. All symbolism.

But, the symbolism of Baptism, as addressed here, and purposed to have "Baptized John" should only be taken in the context of his baptism by the Spirit while in the womb. Water immersion, as far as I've researched, had not existed in practices by the High Priests of the day. But I would accept correction, provided I was directed to verifiable sources.
I agree with you, there is no reference to baptism in the Old Testament. But history does account for earlier baptisms than that of John. They did in fact baptize behind a vale while reciting the Torah. Look it up