Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > True2ourselves.com Help > General Questions  > Old To New Testament

Old 03-19-2009, 12:17 AM

Default What is the difference in the greatest commandment from Old To New Testament

THE GREATEST COMMANDMENT

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE O.T TO LOVE GOD WITH ALL YOUR ........

AND THE N.T. TO LOVE GOD WITH ALL YOUR .....

Last edited by jnois : 03-19-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: REDO SUBJECT = ADD ON CANNOT DO IT ... SORRY
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Old To New Testament

TEXTUALLY, the commands are the same, BUT,in the O.T., worship required OUR own effort to become acceptable to God (which really didn't work out, "It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sin").

NEW covenant worship requires that we be realistic and realize that we really don't have the ability to 'BE WORTHY' of God's grace/gifts.

It is impossible for man to truly KNOW GOD by our own effort.....We do have the ability to WISH/desire to know Him (we can desire to "draw near" if one does TRULY love Him,....and then HE WILL FILL THE GAP and "draw near" to us).

This is the new covenant is all about (God reaching to us because we always were unable to be TRULY SANCTIFIED and live with FOREVER throughout ALL eternities).

In the new covenant, God condescends to us.

The "eternity" of the iniquitous will end when they die, but OURS will continue with God FOREVER as a "SOUL".

Last edited by solidfood : 10-21-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM

There is no difference. When Jesus told what the greatest command was he quoted from the Old Testament.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:17 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophilus40 View Post
There is no difference. When Jesus told what the greatest command was he quoted from the Old Testament.
Not exactly. There are variations, and that may be what the question was about.

Deuteronomy 6:5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Luke 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
Not exactly. There are variations, and that may be what the question was about.
The wording may be different but the meaning is the same. The Old Testament was written in Hebrew but the New Testament was in Greek so the words of Christ are a Greek translation of the Old Testament rather than a direct quote.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
The wording may be different but the meaning is the same.
So you say, but you are not explaining how that is so. For example, why does Jesus add "mind" and omit "might" in Matthew?

Why is the word order different in Luke?
Quote:
The Old Testament was written in Hebrew but the New Testament was in Greek so the words of Christ are a Greek translation of the Old Testament rather than a direct quote.
Why are the Greek words different in the Gospels? Not only do they not line up with the Old Testament, they don't line up with each other.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
The difference is it was re-emphasised and called to greater emphasis because a greater sacrifice was to be offered up to form this relationship.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:32 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
So you say, but you are not explaining how that is so. For example, why does Jesus add "mind" and omit "might" in Matthew?

Why is the word order different in Luke?
Why are the Greek words different in the Gospels? Not only do they not line up with the Old Testament, they don't line up with each other.
Perhaps Matthew was distracted in the middle of Jesus' answer and had to fill in from memory later. Or perhaps the author of Matthew suffered a hand cramp while copying from the common source and left off "strength". Or maybe the authors of Mark and Luke noticed that Jesus had misquoted Deuteronomy and inserted 'strength' as a replacement for 'might'.

Regardless, I think the clear intention was that we should love the Lord our God with every facility we have. The addition of 'mind' to the list I think is likely a result of Jesus' focus on internalizing Gospel principles and making them an active part of our lives.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:47 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenic101 View Post
Perhaps Matthew was distracted in the middle of Jesus' answer and had to fill in from memory later. Or perhaps the author of Matthew suffered a hand cramp while copying from the common source and left off "strength". Or maybe the authors of Mark and Luke noticed that Jesus had misquoted Deuteronomy and inserted 'strength' as a replacement for 'might'.
I think "strength" and "might" are so similar, those don't pose a problem for me.

Matthew, I believe, was originally in Hebrew; and it looks to me as if a few things got altered when translated into Greek.

Quote:
Regardless, I think the clear intention was that we should love the Lord our God with every facility we have. The addition of 'mind' to the list I think is likely a result of Jesus' focus on internalizing Gospel principles and making them an active part of our lives.
I'm wondering if the Hebrew word translated as "soul" carries dual meanings that there is no one Greek word for. While both get translated as "soul," perhaps the Hebrew and Greek words aren't exactly equivalent.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
I think "strength" and "might" are so similar, those don't pose a problem for me.

Matthew, I believe, was originally in Hebrew; and it looks to me as if a few things got altered when translated into Greek.

I'm wondering if the Hebrew word translated as "soul" carries dual meanings that there is no one Greek word for. While both get translated as "soul," perhaps the Hebrew and Greek words aren't exactly equivalent.
It is a fusion of different texts.

It is possible that a transcriber changed δυνάμεώς (power/might/strength) to διανοίᾳ (translated "mind," but "reason" is a better translation, as nous is the Greek term for mind). However, we do find instances in which there are both (such as Aramaic, Syriac, Ge'ez, etc.), and those with one or the other, for example, we find some texts saying "with all your heart, soul and strength/might/power" (same word translated variously in English), while others say "with all your heart, soul and strength/might/power." We see this here, for example:
Deuteronomy 6 - Septuagint LXX Brenton Restored Names King James Version KJV Strong's Concordance Online Parallel Bible Study