Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Bob Hope Christmas Special (1967)

Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Bob Hope Christmas Special (1967)

Bob Hope Christmas Special (1967)

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Bob Hope Christmas Special (1967)

In 1968 I was on temporary duty with the Navy in San Diego. I was told that there was a Bob Hope show, but that the tickets were $25 each. I was making $70 a month. I haven't much been interested in Bob Hope since.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by timf View Post
In 1968 I was on temporary duty with the Navy in San Diego. I was told that there was a Bob Hope show, but that the tickets were $25 each. I was making $70 a month. I haven't much been interested in Bob Hope since.
A a little bitter are we?

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timf View Post
I would have thought they would have given servicemen a free ticket.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizie View Post
I would have thought they would have given servicemen a free ticket.
If it was a USO event, I would have thought so too. Everything with the USO was (still is, I guess) privately funded. The people who performed in the shows didn't get paid. I think people then thought they were good publicity as well as acts of charity. From Founded in the 1940s - History of the USO ? The 1940's ? 1940-1949 ? Fashion History Movies Music:

President Roosevelt, aware that troops needed the occasional "break" from their daily routine, approached several private organizations and challenged them to pool their resources to provide recreational and entertainment services for these service personnel. In February 1941, the USO was chartered and soon began "Camp Shows" at bases within the U.S. Popular entertainers selflessly volunteered to perform for free, and with the U.S. entry into WWII after Pearl Harbor, expanded their services to U.S. outposts globally.

Celebrities offering their services represented every corner of show business. Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra, Laurel & Hardy, the Marx Brothers, Jack Benny, Lucille Ball, The Rockettes, Glenn Miller, James Cagney, Irving Berlin, Al Jolson, Fred Astaire and countless other "legends" entertained troops during the 1940s, and in later years, iconic figures such as Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Danny Kaye, John Wayne, Sammy Davis, Jr., Raquel Welch, Ann-Margret and Redd Foxx entertained troops in both Korea and Vietnam. In more recent years, U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have attended shows featuring Stephen Colbert, Craig Ferguson, Kellie Pickler, Toby Keith, Dane Cook and Carrie Underwood, to mention only a few. A very popular "show" during recent Christmas appearances has been WWE RAW (World Wrestling Entertainment) matches.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 AM
Knight of the Forum

Don't complicate a simple post

Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
A a little bitter are we?
Look closely at the picture you posted. Do you feel that your Christian brothers are edified by being encouraged to drool over immodest women?

There are many reasons to look askance at Bob Hope's "charity" work. I cited my experience just to poke a hole in the image propagated by some that celebrity icons should be taken as secular saints.

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:16 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Bob Hope Christmas Special (1967)

I like to keep alive old truths

Old 12-09-2018, 07:11 AM
Knight of the Forum

Arrow Re: Bob Hope Christmas Special (1967)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
I like to keep alive old truths
Worthy of a Christmas bump.

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 12-09-2018 at 07:14 AM.