Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Is the term Mother of God same as mother of God ?

Old 12-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Is the term Mother of God same as mother of God ?

Is the title or term Mother of God same as mother of God ? Can they be used interchageably ?

ped
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Is the term Mother of God same as mother of God ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
Is the title or term Mother of God same as mother of God ? Can they be used interchageably ?

ped
You are saying the same thing, except one is with capital letters the other isn't.

The honor that we give to Mary is relative to the honor that we give to her Divine Son.

She is ASSOCIATED and BOUND UP with the Mystery of the Incarnation and so it is right and just that we capitalize her as "Mother of God".

This does not make her DEITY ... it just shows her UNIQUE connection and total union with her Son.

"... There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him." (Pope Benedict XVI) [Homily of His Holiness, Sunday, April 24th 2005]

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

When Jesus, the Living Bread, says IS He means IS.

Last edited by AHJE : 12-26-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Suspended for Review

At the beginning of a sentence is fine.
The bible doesn't have Mary as mother in capitals nor as woman in capitals but I don't see why there should be any problem with using capitals as Mother of God.
Seems a petty thing to have so much commotion about.

It's a fine thing to show much reverence for Mary but to make it a be all and end all seems somewhat pretentious.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post

ped
"Barack Obama was elected president."

"Barack Obama is President of the United States."

Both are acceptable in context, but the latter is a title and in English usage is capitalized. I don't think anyone here is particularly hung up on capitalization, but it is English language "rules."

The title Mother of God/mother of God is not about Mary, it is about Jesus.

In His divinity He was begotten from eternity from a (divine) Father with no mother. In His humanity He was born in time from a (human) mother with no (human) father. He is still God (i.e. Divine) even though He took on humanity as well. That is where Theotokos--maternal God-bearer (and by derivation, Mother of God) comes into play.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:02 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post

Both are acceptable in context, but the latter is a title and in English usage is capitalized. I don't think anyone here is particularly hung up on capitalization, but it is English language "rules."

In His divinity He was begotten from eternity from a (divine) Father with no mother. In His humanity He was born in time from a (human) mother with no (human) father. He is still God (i.e. Divine) even though He took on humanity as well. That is where Theotokos--maternal God-bearer (and by derivation, Mother of God) comes into play.
Talking about capitalization, like between Father and father, Son and son, Spirit and spirit, God and god, as used in the Bible but i do not remember seeing Mother except as beginning of a sentence. For example Son usually refer to our Lord Jesus Christ, except in the book of Ezekiel, where it seems or it appears that Ezekiel is referred to as Son of man. Used of "I" kind of awkward for me too but maybe that is too much.

ped

Last edited by ElpidioLGagolinan : 12-27-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:09 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post

I would like to acknowledge that I read this.

ped
Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Knight of the Forum

Understand Ped that English has its capitalization rules as indicated in other posts here. In German language rules all nouns are always capitalized. This means that the word "mother", in German, "Mutter", is always capitalized. Ask Fr. Linsinbigler about capitalization in Greek and ask a knowledgeable person about it in Hebrew or Aramaic.

Capitalizing a noun in English which is not always a proper noun (e.g. "Elpidio") and is not the first word in a sentence is a significant change in emphasis, meaning and/or importance to the reader.

I would also be interested in seeing a clarification on the correct usage of capitalization, or the lack thereof, in the original Bible languages from someone capable of doing it.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Suspended for Review

^ The original Hebrew and Greek don't have both upper and lower case letters.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAsh View Post
At the beginning of a sentence is fine.
The bible doesn't have Mary as mother in capitals nor as woman in capitals but I don't see why there should be any problem with using capitals as Mother of God.
Seems a petty thing to have so much commotion about.

It's a fine thing to show much reverence for Mary but to make it a be all and end all seems somewhat pretentious.
Of course, capital letter and small letter, may not mean much, but when one is used more than the other or vice versa, then it could be indication of something. We also have to take to account the God we are dealing with. Our God revealed Himself and His ways in the Old and New Testament.

Anyway anyone can do what they want,but whether it is right or wrong or pretentious or not, is something we can ask God or God may tell us if we are really listening.

ped
Old 12-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
^ The original Hebrew and Greek don't have both upper and lower case letters.
If I may ask what do they got ? mid case letters ? how do they write the Names of God ?

ped