Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Is the term Mother of God same as mother of God ?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Is the term Mother of God same as mother of God ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
^ The original Hebrew and Greek don't have both upper and lower case letters.

I thought that that was the case. I guess my question was whether there was a distinction made in the written --or spoken-- language similar to the one made for proper nouns in English.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Understand Ped that English has its capitalization rules as indicated in other posts here. In German language rules all nouns are always capitalized. This means that the word "mother", in German, "Mutter", is always capitalized. Ask Fr. Linsinbigler about capitalization in Greek and ask a knowledgeable person about it in Hebrew or Aramaic.

Capitalizing a noun in English which is not always a proper noun (e.g. "Elpidio") and is not the first word in a sentence is a significant change in emphasis, meaning and/or importance to the reader.

I would also be interested in seeing a clarification on the correct usage of capitalization, or the lack thereof, in the original Bible languages from someone capable of doing it.
John, I believe the real issue is not the capitalization or not but the rationale behind it and also the context. Sometimes we follow what others have done before us but we are not sure why it was done like that.

ped
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
John, I believe the real issue is not the capitalization or not but the rationale behind it and also the context. Sometimes we follow what others have done before us but we are not sure why it was done like that.

ped
No argument Ped. I was simply hoping to clarify that point. Perhaps some would do better reading a bible with no capitalized proper nouns.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
No argument Ped. I was simply hoping to clarify that point. Perhaps some would do better reading a bible with no capitalized proper nouns.
Let us say the word or noun " son", will it matter to anyone if it is written as Son in the Bible or just son will do ?

ped
Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Understand Ped that English has its capitalization rules as indicated in other posts here. In German language rules all nouns are always capitalized. This means that the word "mother", in German, "Mutter", is always capitalized. Ask Fr. Linsinbigler about capitalization in Greek and ask a knowledgeable person about it in Hebrew or Aramaic.

Capitalizing a noun in English which is not always a proper noun (e.g. "Elpidio") and is not the first word in a sentence is a significant change in emphasis, meaning and/or importance to the reader.

I would also be interested in seeing a clarification on the correct usage of capitalization, or the lack thereof, in the original Bible languages from someone capable of doing it.
The ancient Biblical Greek texts use all capital letters, which is fortunate for our overall perspective, but unfortunate for guidance in "translating" to English usage.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
Talking about capitalization, like between Father and father, Son and son, Spirit and spirit, God and god, as used in the Bible but i do not remember seeing Mother except as beginning of a sentence. For example Son usually refer to our Lord Jesus Christ, except in the book of Ezekiel, where it seems or it appears that Ezekiel is referred to as Son of man. Used of "I" kind of awkward for me too but maybe that is too much.

ped
I agree on the use of the word "I." Why is it always capitalized when "you," or "he" or "she" is generally not? It seems it was a self-centered bunch of linguists who came up with that rule (not necessarily, but it does not help in combatting our modern trend toward Narcissism). Also, I never liked that we still do not have a proper distinguish of singular and plural "you" in modern English. Middle English did much better with that one.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
Also, I never liked that we still do not have a proper distinguish of singular and plural "you" in modern English.

"Yall" doing good work
Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
The ancient Biblical Greek texts use all capital letters, which is fortunate for our overall perspective, but unfortunate for guidance in "translating" to English usage.
Thank you for this clarification. This was what I already believed without having the input of a more knowledgeable source.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Also, I never liked that we still do not have a proper distinguish of singular and plural "you" in modern English. Middle English did much better with that one.
This is one thing I like about the KJV although it also has its problems, especially for modern English speakers.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinforacity View Post
I do not believe there is a verse of Scripture where Mary is (Called, Identified or Ascribed ) with it title of "Mother of God".

Why must there always be some sort of Addendum to the things found within the pages of Scripture (Bible)

There have been a number of times, where verses have been put Forward, stating the Bible (Should not be added to, or subtracted from) isn't this the case which is in question at this Moment?

There are enough things which do reside within the pages of the Bible which both Protestant and Catholic can agree, why is it needful to constantly advance questions which gender strife bringing into question those things which cause divisio.

I see a lot of times, when things like Bill down the road, or President Obama are brought into the mix.
We are not to compare Spiritual things with Earthly things,
Doing this is tantamount to saying there aren't any Capitals in the Greek.
But we are, to compare Spiritual with Spiritual, and Earthly with the Earthly
Sticking with what Scripture says and not some ones interpretation of what it says, is the safest way to go, that is where the Holy Spirit can then lead,

Be Blessed
JIM
Jim, to quote you :There are enough things which do reside within the pages of the Bible which both Protestant and Catholic can agree, why is it needful to constantly advance questions which gender strife bringing into question those things which cause division.

E.G. comments : Questions are not always placed to bring strife but to clarify. Also properly discussing differences or clarification is part of maturity. I will also mention "parables" which are earthly stories with heavenly truth. We are from earth for now,for us to understand heavenly truth we somehow need to relate them what we have on earth. Though it may not be possible at times.

ped