Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Two architecture firms chosen to transform Crystal Cathedral

Old 09-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Knight of the Forum

Arrow Two architecture firms chosen to transform Crystal Cathedral

Two architecture firms chosen to transform Crystal Cathedral

By Carl Bunderson
>> EWTN News

Bishop Kevin W. Vann of Orange, Calif., announced the selection of two firms to collaborate in renovating the “Crystal Cathedral” into a Catholic cathedral at the diocese's annual prayer breakfast yesterday morning.

“The Crystal Cathedral is an established international landmark and is much lauded for its architectural inspiration and iconic stature…Johnson Fain and Rios Clementi Hale Studios have the experience and ability to respect the building’s original design inspiration while creating a fitting and functional spiritual home for Orange County’s 1.3 million Catholics,” Bishop Vann stated Sept. 18 at the eighth annual Orange County Catholic Prayer Breakfast, held in the structure's glass facade.

“These two firms see this important work as more than a renovation project, but as a reflection of God and his people on earth.”

The Diocese of Orange purchased the 3,000-seat Crystal Cathedral in February of 2012 from the Protestant church which founded it. The purchase was made after Crystal Cathedral had filed for bankruptcy in October 2010 when some of its creditors sued for payment. The diocese purchased it for $57.5 million under Bishop Vann's predecessor, Bishop Tod Brown.......
.<SNIP>

Read more: EWTN News

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Two architecture firms chosen to transform Crystal Cathedral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post

Two architecture firms chosen to transform Crystal Cathedral

By Carl Bunderson
>> EWTN News

Bishop Kevin W. Vann of Orange, Calif., announced the selection of two firms to collaborate in renovating the “Crystal Cathedral” into a Catholic cathedral at the diocese's annual prayer breakfast yesterday morning.

“The Crystal Cathedral is an established international landmark and is much lauded for its architectural inspiration and iconic stature…Johnson Fain and Rios Clementi Hale Studios have the experience and ability to respect the building’s original design inspiration while creating a fitting and functional spiritual home for Orange County’s 1.3 million Catholics,” Bishop Vann stated Sept. 18 at the eighth annual Orange County Catholic Prayer Breakfast, held in the structure's glass facade.

“These two firms see this important work as more than a renovation project, but as a reflection of God and his people on earth.”

The Diocese of Orange purchased the 3,000-seat Crystal Cathedral in February of 2012 from the Protestant church which founded it. The purchase was made after Crystal Cathedral had filed for bankruptcy in October 2010 when some of its creditors sued for payment. The diocese purchased it for $57.5 million under Bishop Vann's predecessor, Bishop Tod Brown.......
.<SNIP>

Read more: EWTN News
57.5 million, that money could have done a lot for the poor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch5 View Post
Nothing changes but the date..........

Matthew 26
6 Now when Jesus was in Bethany, at the home of Simon the leper, 7 a woman came to Him with an alabaster vial of very costly perfume, and she poured it on His head as He reclined at the table. 8 But the disciples were indignant when they saw this, and said, "Why this waste ? 9 "For this perfume might have been sold for a high price and the money given to the poor." 10 But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, "Why do you bother the woman ? For she has done a good deed to Me. 11 "For you always have the poor with you; but you do not always have Me. 12 "For when she poured this perfume on My body, she did it to prepare Me for burial. 13 "Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be spoken of in memory of her."
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelowlyfisherman View Post
Nothing changes but the date..........

Matthew 26
6 Now when Jesus was in Bethany, at the home of Simon the leper, 7 a woman came to Him with an alabaster vial of very costly perfume, and she poured it on His head as He reclined at the table. 8 But the disciples were indignant when they saw this, and said, "Why this waste ? 9 "For this perfume might have been sold for a high price and the money given to the poor." 10 But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, "Why do you bother the woman ? For she has done a good deed to Me. 11 "For you always have the poor with you; but you do not always have Me. 12 "For when she poured this perfume on My body, she did it to prepare Me for burial. 13 "Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be spoken of in memory of her."
This is where Jesus is? When can I stop by to see Him?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
That is the spirit of Judas:

Mary then took a pound of very costly perfume of pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped His feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But Judas Iscariot, one of His disciples, who was intending to betray Him, said, “Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and given to poor people?”

Of course, we know what Jesus said:

“Let her alone, so that she may keep it for the day of My burial. For you always have the poor with you, but you do not always have Me.”

We will always have the poor no matter how much we give. But it is fitting if the people wish to build great things for the glory of God.

Quote:
This is where Jesus is? When can I stop by to see Him?
He is present, Body Blood Soul and Divinity, in the Tabernacle of every Catholic parish sanctuary.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 09-19-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
That is the spirit of Judas:

Mary then took a pound of very costly perfume of pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped His feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But Judas Iscariot, one of His disciples, who was intending to betray Him, said, “Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and given to poor people?”

Of course, we know what Jesus said:

“Let her alone, so that she may keep it for the day of My burial. For you always have the poor with you, but you do not always have Me.”

We will always have the poor no matter how much we give. But it is fitting if the people wish to build great things for the glory of God.

He is present, Body Blood Soul and Divinity, in the Tabernacle of every Catholic parish sanctuary.

Isn't the spirit of Judas wanting to keep the money for oneself. Spend the money on the poor or buy a building?

How is one body present in every Tabernacle of every Catholic parish sanctuary?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Isn't the spirit of Judas wanting to keep the money for oneself. Spend the money on the poor or buy a building?......
My point is, creating beautiful things for the glory of God is not bad. We can do that AND give to the poor. Its not an either/or choice.

If they sold that Cathedral and gave away all the money, the poor would be just as bad off tomorrow.

Quote:
.........How is one body present in every Tabernacle of every Catholic parish sanctuary?
How indeed.

The Tabernacle is where the consecrated hosts are kept. And since the Eucharist becomes the actual Body and Blood of Christ when it is consecrated, that means he is present in a unique way in the Tabernacle.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Isn't the spirit of Judas wanting to keep the money for oneself.
He didn't want the money for himself. He said spend it on the poor.

I'd say Judas' mistake was telling other people how to spend their money. I agree with Judas that what the woman did was a waste of money; but it wasn't his money or mine. The woman had a good motive for what she did, and he shouldn't have criticized her.

The question here is if there is a good motive to buy the Crystal Cathedral in the first place and then spend more money on altering it. It's none of my business; but I'll admit I'll be laughing if this diocese goes bankrupt later.

Last edited by Giuliano : 09-19-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
If they sold that Cathedral and gave away all the money, the poor would be just as bad off tomorrow.
I think someone already did sell it but they kept the money and still wound up in bankruptcy court.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
I think someone already did sell it.......
I know. They sold it to the Catholic Diocese of Orange. This article is about the diocese remodeling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
......they kept the money and still wound up in bankruptcy court.
I wouldn't know about that.