Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Two architecture firms chosen to transform Crystal Cathedral

Old 09-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: Two architecture firms chosen to transform Crystal Cathedral

Crystal Cathedral Ministries was in bankruptcy court last year. That's how the diocese bought it.

Schuller testified in court saying the organization owed him $5 million. From Rev. Robert Schuller testifies in Crystal Cathedral bankruptcy case, plus 8 inspirational Schuller quotes | The Latest | 89.3 KPCC:

Rev. Robert H. Schuller, the former televangelist host of the “Hour of Power” broadcasting from his signature Crystal Cathedral, testified in bankruptcy court that the ministry he founded owes him for using his creative works in broadcasts and online.

That former ministry, Crystal Cathedral Ministries, filed for bankruptcy in 2010 — thanks to $50 million in debt. Schuller, once among the most well-known televangelists in America, has filed more than $5 million in claims against the ministry in bankruptcy court.

Schuller, 86, testified Wednesday in U.S. District Bankruptcy Court in Los Angeles that he never gave up ownership of his written materials and other creative works, although he let Crystal Cathedral Ministries use them for free without receiving royalties.

He didn't get most of what he asked for. From Robert Schuller, Crystal Cathedral Founder, Bankruptcy Bid Largely Rejected:

Bankruptcy Judge Robert Kwan of Los Angeles ruled Monday (Nov. 26) that Schuller, 86, and several family members did not prove many of their claims of breach of contract and copyright infringement against Crystal Cathedral Ministries.

Kwan awarded the family less than $700,000, with Schuller himself receiving about $600,000, The Orange County Register reported.

Time will tell if it becomes an albatross around the neck of Bishop Vann. His diocese has 68 parish churches. I suspect there would be extreme displeasure if any of those were closed. Sure enough the people in Orange Country are rich enough to support them all; but I would have thought the $100 million settlement in 2005 would have left them financially strapped. They managed to get through that without closing any parish churches; but I'd still think they would short of funds.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Knight of the Forum

Thats a bit unseemly, a pastor demanding millions of dollars.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Thats a bit unseemly, a pastor demanding millions of dollars.
It struck me that way also. There was a bit of unseemly news in 2011 too right after Crystal Cathedral Ministries went into bankruptcy.

From Bankrupt church wants donations for pastor’s sick wife ferried in limo:

Some members of a bankrupt Orange County, Calif. megachurch are expressing outrage after fielding an email request for congregants to deliver food to waiting limos so that it can ferried to the founder's sick wife. The appeal comes weeks after a lawsuit charged that the founder of the Crystal Cathedral house of worship, Rev. Robert Schuller, and his family had been paying themselves lavish salaries and other benefits while the church was in financial straits.

"They've completely depleted the church's funds," one member, Bob Canfield, told the Orange County Register. "But they have shown that they have absolutely no remorse for what they've done. They're still being chauffeured around in limos. We, the congregants, have nothing."

An email sent recently by Crystal Cathedral administrators said that Schuller and his wife, Arvella, "would appreciate meals over the next three to four weeks." It added: "They are to be sent to the church in order to be transported to Arvella. The limo drivers could pick up the dinners or meet in the Tower Lobby around 4:30 p.m."

It was not only unseemly, it was so absurd it made me laugh. Can you believe the chutzpah?

A spokesman for the church, John Charles, said the food request was in keeping with the church's commitment to Christian charity. "As Dr. Schuller always says, 'Find a need and fill it,'" he said. "I think that's what we were trying to do here."

But Canfield sees things differently. "These are millionaires who have limos and chauffeurs," he said. "Why in God's name would they want the congregants to deliver meals? It's ludicrous."
Old 09-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch5 View Post
Isn't the spirit of Judas wanting to keep the money for oneself. Spend the money on the poor or buy a building?

How is one body present in every Tabernacle of every Catholic parish sanctuary?
Ephesians 4
5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

How is He in every Tabernacle? You are a believer, right?
Answer me this, Mr. Lawyerman. Is it right or wrong to worship the Lord in the physical realm?
Wouldn't any building take away from the poor? SO..... we're just trying to decide how much is okay to take away from the poor, right?
I mean, scripture says the early Church met in each others homes. Is that where your church meets?
Of course, if we go back a little further, Jesus didn't seem to mind going to the Temple. I wonder how much that would cost to build today?
In your attempt to accuse your brethren you have become a hypocrite, but, if I were you, I'd be much more concerned that I were accusing the brethren.
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
It struck me that way also. There was a bit of unseemly news in 2011 too right after Crystal Cathedral Ministries went into bankruptcy.

From Bankrupt church wants donations for pastor’s sick wife ferried in limo:

Some members of a bankrupt Orange County, Calif. megachurch are expressing outrage after fielding an email request for congregants to deliver food to waiting limos so that it can ferried to the founder's sick wife. The appeal comes weeks after a lawsuit charged that the founder of the Crystal Cathedral house of worship, Rev. Robert Schuller, and his family had been paying themselves lavish salaries and other benefits while the church was in financial straits.

"They've completely depleted the church's funds," one member, Bob Canfield, told the Orange County Register. "But they have shown that they have absolutely no remorse for what they've done. They're still being chauffeured around in limos. We, the congregants, have nothing."

An email sent recently by Crystal Cathedral administrators said that Schuller and his wife, Arvella, "would appreciate meals over the next three to four weeks." It added: "They are to be sent to the church in order to be transported to Arvella. The limo drivers could pick up the dinners or meet in the Tower Lobby around 4:30 p.m."

It was not only unseemly, it was so absurd it made me laugh. Can you believe the chutzpah?

A spokesman for the church, John Charles, said the food request was in keeping with the church's commitment to Christian charity. "As Dr. Schuller always says, 'Find a need and fill it,'" he said. "I think that's what we were trying to do here."

But Canfield sees things differently. "These are millionaires who have limos and chauffeurs," he said. "Why in God's name would they want the congregants to deliver meals? It's ludicrous."
Psalm 49:20
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Knight of the Forum

Follow up story:
Architects eager to begin Crystal Cathedral's renovation
Architects eager to begin Crystal Cathedral's renovation :: EWTN News

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 11-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Knight of the Forum

UPDATE:
New website: https://christcathedralcalifornia.org/
Explore: https://christcathedralcalifornia.org/explore/