Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Mary the mother of God

Old 06-06-2012, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Mary the mother of God

^ Mary doesn't need to be divine. She is a human person who is chosen by the Father to be the Mother of God the Son, Immanuel, God-With-Us. She is the Mother of the Person of Jesus, the whole Person. He is the Second Person of the Most Holy and Undivided Trinity and as such He is that supreme reality we call "God."

So it is undoubtedly true that Mary is the Mother of God for she is the Mother of Jesus, who is God Himself.

God bless you.

"... There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him." (Pope Benedict XVI) [Homily of His Holiness, Sunday, April 24th 2005]

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

When Jesus, the Living Bread, says IS He means IS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4truth View Post
I just read this in another post, and I have heard this before as to why certain Catholics pray to Mary. I myself don't agree Mary is the mother of God. God created Mary so how could Mary mother God???

This is just for debate I don't expect a right or wrong answer I am just looking to see other perspectives. I will debate my belief you can debate yours but please nobody should pass judgement here as only God can Judge...........
ALL Christians know that Mary is the mother of God, not just Catholics. Only a segmant of protestants deny this truth, and that denial is a mere 500 years old. But since you deny that Jesus is God, its no wonder that you don't grasp this simple truth. We see here how one error leads to another; your denial that Jesus is fully God is having a ripple eferect in your belief system.

Classicaly, to "mother" is to bear, and to "father" is to originate. So Mary bore Jesus, divine and human, in her womb, and is rightly called Mother of God, or "God bearer" (Theotokos). She did not originate God, she bore him in her womb.

Let's all remember what Elizabeth said: "And how has it happened to me, that the mother of my Lord would come to me?" Luke 1:43 Who was the Lord to the Jews? God was.

As for the "praying" issue, thats another issue entirely. I suggest you read this thread: The Saints: "Friends in High Places"

Quote:
.......From my understanding that is part of Catholicism to believe that Mary is the mother of God?

If so it seems that that doesn't coincide with the Christian organization so how can one be a Christian Catholic?
Again: Many Christians besides Catho0lics understand that Mary is the "Theotokos".
And I'd be careful with that last line, denying that Catholics are Christians. In fact, your denial of Christ being fully God and fully man places you technically outside the bounds of authentic Christianity, not us.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 06-06-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
And I'd be careful with that last line, denying that Catholics are Christians. In fact, your denial of Christ being fully God and fully man places you technically outside the bounds of authentic Christianity, not us.
Sorry for the misunderstanding I wasn't denying I was just asking about the different "religions" and how they coexist, I don't judge anyone. To me weather you claim Christian, Catholic, or Islam doesn't matter. salvation is a matter of the heart and not a matter of denomination.

I was brought up in a free will baptist church, then as a teen started going to a non denominational church and I was never taught or told that Mary was the mother of God. I always understood Mary to be the mother of Jesus. I was taught about the trinity but never was I told that that made Mary the mother of God, even though I was taught that God the Father God the Son and God the Holy Ghost were one. The few times I asked why do some people pray to Mary I was told that was a catholic practice.

So I'm just trying to understand your concept, God the Father is without mother or Father, no beginning of time or end of time, God the Son is the seed of Mary and the only begotten son of God the Father, The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of God, and these three are actually One? Or are you saying that because these three are one that God the Father is also the Son of Mary?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Knight of the Forum

^ That was the line you chose to respond to? Not the rest of my post?

Let's try again:

Quote:
I just read this in another post, and I have heard this before as to why certain Catholics pray to Mary. I myself don't agree Mary is the mother of God. God created Mary so how could Mary mother God???

This is just for debate I don't expect a right or wrong answer I am just looking to see other perspectives. I will debate my belief you can debate yours but please nobody should pass judgement here as only God can Judge...........
ALL Christians know that Mary is the mother of God, not just Catholics. Only a segmant of protestants deny this truth, and that denial is a mere 500 years old. But since you deny that Jesus is God, its no wonder that you don't grasp this simple truth. We see here how one error leads to another; your denial that Jesus is fully God is having a ripple eferect in your belief system.

Classicaly, to "mother" is to bear, and to "father" is to originate. So Mary bore Jesus, divine and human, in her womb, and is rightly called Mother of God, or "God bearer" (Theotokos). She did not originate God, she bore him in her womb.

Let's all remember what Elizabeth said: "And how has it happened to me, that the mother of my Lord would come to me?" Luke 1:43 Who was the Lord to the Jews? God was.

As for the "praying" issue, thats another issue entirely. I suggest you read this thread: The Saints: "Friends in High Places"

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
^ That was the line you chose to respond to? Not the rest of my post?

Let's try again:

[/url]
Well I thought I responded to your whole post starting with that. but then I went on to ask.

"So I'm just trying to understand your concept, God the Father is without mother or Father, no beginning of time or end of time, God the Son is the seed of Mary and the only begotten son of God the Father, The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of God, and these three are actually One? Or are you saying that because these three are one that God the Father is also the Son of Mary?"

As I posted this it came to mind that what you are saying and I'm asking if I understand correctly not making a statement. That Mary bore God or carried God in her for 9 months but she has nothing to do with the physical make up of God the Father meaning they are of two different Substances. I know God the Father is Spirit and Mary the mother was flesh and blood. But at no time was God the father flesh and blood? Am I even close here???

I am sincere in trying to understand this concept but it seems I'm digging myself deeper and deeper into the confusion of how Jesus can be God. None of this really adds up to me.

God is the beginning the creator of everything in heaven on earth the seen and unseen. So to give him a mother is like that ol question what came first the chicken or the egg. Now I know that God created the chicken, but do you get were I'm coming from? If God created everything we know how could we turn around and give the creator of all things a mother?

Unless this is all just metaphorically speaking then I just don't understand the concept of God having a mother.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybear View Post
I'm neither a Catholic Christian or an Orthodox Christian, but I am quite happy with the title "Mother of God" for Mary. However, it does need to be understood in the context in which the phrase was first coined, where it's primary purpose was to defend the deity of Christ from a heresy at that time. Too late here in the UK for me to go into detail now, but I'm sure those on here who are better versed in church history can give you more information if you would like it.
Correct. The focus is God the Son. The filial person of the Holy Trinity, when He became man, was Incarnate of the Virgin Mary, making her Theotokos (Maternal God-bearer). She is the Mother of God, in that she is the Mother of the Divine Person who is the Son of God, God the Son, according to the flesh. She bore God the Son without human seed, giving birth to God the Word, and is truly Theotokos.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybear View Post
I'm neither a Catholic Christian or an Orthodox Christian, but I am quite happy with the title "Mother of God" for Mary. However, it does need to be understood in the context in which the phrase was first coined, where it's primary purpose was to defend the deity of Christ from a heresy at that time. Too late here in the UK for me to go into detail now, but I'm sure those on here who are better versed in church history can give you more information if you would like it.
That is a VERY good post!! Yes, the title "Mother of God" 's primary purpose was to defend the deity of Christ from a heresy at that time.

How ironic that we should find that same heresy floating around in this forum still to this day

Old 06-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Actually, Nestorius, condemned as a heretic in the year 430 objected to the use of the term 'Theotokos' (God-bearer) in reference to Mary. Source of information: "Documents of the Christian Church", second edition, Selected and Edited by Henry Bettenson, Oxford University Press, 1963 (reprint: 1978), p.46.

The 1st of 12 anathemas by Cyril of Alexandra (same source book and page) was:

Quote:
If any one does not acknowledge that Emmanual is in truth God, and that the holy Virgin is, in consequence, 'Theotokos,' for she brought forth after the flesh the Word of God who has become flesh, let him be anathema.
It may have been declared heresy, but it occurred well over 1500 years ago. Nestorius was banished as a result.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Suspended for Review

Playing with words,

Jesus said, Before Abraham was I am, here he declares Himself to exist before Mary was even a twinkle in her own mothers eye, God does not have a mother, He exists, Mary was certainly a willing vessel that God could use to bring Christ into the world, and in being so she was the mother of the Child Jesus. Bur you see Christ could not be 100% God because He had to leave behind His holiness to put on these earthly rags for a short time and walk as a man upon this earth, be tempted by sin and even bare the sins of mankind upon His shoulder , an doing doing so He Cried out, My God my God why has though forsaken me, see if He was 100% God He could not have denied Himself.

In All His Love
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 PM

^ If you do not believe that Jesus is God the Son then how can you ever accept that Mary is indeed the Mother of God?

Peace be with you.

"... There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him." (Pope Benedict XVI) [Homily of His Holiness, Sunday, April 24th 2005]

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

When Jesus, the Living Bread, says IS He means IS.