Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Open Forum Threads

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Called2Freedom

Default Open Forum Threads

I recently had a disagreement with the "leadership" of this forum for which the details are unimportant. The biggest problem I had with what they took action against, was that it was about a thread in the open forum. As I understand it, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that any topic posted in an open forum is also open for discussion which would include opposing views.

I know I once had a thread which I opened purely for information reason and even posted that in my OP. Some that read it decided the enter into debate there which was against what I had asked for I fear the news being shared would be clouded by what I saw was pointles debate. I requested they not do that and was summarily informed that any thread in the open forum was for discussion and if I didn't like it then I shouldn't have posted it. I admit I didn't like this one bit I though then and still think it was disrespectful as I had asked from the outset for it to be an information only thread and that discussion should take place in a different thread.

Many of the posts made on this thread where very inflamitory, sadly some of mine were too as I lost my cool and posted in anger. I have since changed how I post so that I don't post andery even if what i have to say isn't "nice". Still I was told that due to it being an open forum there was nothing I could do about it. So which this in mind I have some questions I would like all those that read this to consider and if you feel like it, you can chime in on your thoughts.

1. Does it matter who makes an open forum post in regards to posting a response?
2. Should any member at any level be able to have a thread in which critical statements can not be made?
3. Can any open forum thread be off limits to criticism?
4. Should there be any open forum threads which are off limits to criticism?
5. How would you define an open forum thread? I ask this because some may have different ideas from others and knowing this answer would help put their responses into perspective.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 AM
quietude

Default Re: Open Forum Threads

I have no frame of reference for what you're speaking of here. That said, however, if our posts are in harmony with the mission and rules of the site, we need not be concerned that the admins will respond negatively to us.

So your list of questions regarding what is an open forum and who can post what are, in my mind, not terribly relevant. They seem to attempt to measure the content of our posts against the wrong set of standards.

Just my two cents.
Jesse
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietude View Post
I have no frame of reference for what you're speaking of here. That said, however, if our posts are in harmony with the mission and rules of the site, we need not be concerned that the admins will respond negatively to us.

So your list of questions regarding what is an open forum and who can post what are, in my mind, not terribly relevant. They seem to attempt to measure the content of our posts against the wrong set of standards.

Just my two cents.
Jesse
But at the same time I can see some have more leniancy than others when it comes to heated debate. Perhaps just my opinion. I do however know who I can and cannot debate with.

I wish we had more details on your particulare situation CTF. We are left to speculate.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 AM

I would prefer to judge no one if I can avoid it. Sometimes the Lord leads me to give out hard words that can wound the soul, and sometimes in anger I say judgemental things, but without those two things in play, I prefer to be non-judgemental. But I leave this thread with one word... retribution.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Scott, I know the thread you are talking about--it was political and you were giving information that was helpful about where to go and things like that. It slowly became a pro/con debate and you didn't like the way it was turning out. I think that Mark told you that if you didn't want to have debate on the thread to put it in a blog format which I assumed you did (I don't know, I don't read blogs) but the real question you want answered is if that decision was right since you wanted to only give information and not have any feedback on that thread. I personally think it was the right decision because I feel that anytime there is a thread on the forum you should be able to comment on it--thats just my opinion. I don't think it is right to have a thread and only one person able to write on it. I also, however, didn't like the comments on that thread and it should have been closed because it was getting nasty but I guess when you start a thread you never know which path it is going to take.

So, to answer your question more concisely, I think that all threads should be open to everyone. However, they should be monitered and not allowed to go amok. I understand what you tried to do, and it was good and informative, but I don't think it works on an open forum.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:07 PM
LewisM3

Scott... First of all... Welcome back, glad to see you and I hope we see more of you in the politics thread.
I too, like Rose, know which thread you are talking about. I am probably one of the people you would love to throw under the bus in that thread. A "open forum thread" is just that. Open to everyone and anyone to make comments pro or con. Like it or not it is what it is. Blogging is a great idea... I see that you have done just that. To request or demand that people don't comment in a thread we have started because as it is just informational. Comes across rather arrogant, and asks for people to comment. I am not saying that is what you were trying to do or that you are arrogant. I am just commenting on the threads appearance. Further in the paticular post some of your information was erroneous. I am not going to get into details. But if it is a informational thread at least have correct information. I have no interest in rehashing anything, nor do I want to spark your anger.
In retro spec your thread was closed by you if I am not mistaken. In that thread there were many things that were done wrong. By everyone involved. To include myself. How I reacted in that thread taught me a lot about my walk with Christ, and how I should treat others.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:12 PM
preachergirl

Amen Lewis...none of us are perfect or do all things perfectly, yet we all can grow and most do to some extent, and that's what really matters, and our expressions of charity will prove that we have grown and actually allow the growing in another to become complete.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Suspended for Review

I agree with most of the commments here. If you post something of a political nature, then it is going to be, by definition, a personal view. The whole idea of a forum is to enable ideas to be debated - to have the opportunity to express a diferent view from a different perspective.

I believe that you started a blog, C2F, which reflected your views and requested that you'd prefer no comments. I think that's the best place to state your position if you don't want people disagreeing with you.

Though I'm stilll not sure why you deleted all your previous posts...
Old 09-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

For the most part, people that use this site are certainly free to speak their minds' (as long as they use good judgement)... and 99% of the people here use good judgement. If we had to try to define "good judgement" so "everyone" get's it, that would take forever and no one would read it anyway.

Here's the best we can do: See This Thread

Many of those questions posed by C2F are very dependent on the circumstances - no matter how you answer, you ultimately end up arguing about hypothetical situations... and who has the time for that?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Called2Freedom

I see in my effort to be circumspect has failed. I did indeed use the politcal thread as a known example but my questions where directed at posting in any thread that is in the open forum including those started by Admin or the Guardians. Most of us have seen thing said in threads we began that we don't like. In a forum where debate is not only allowed but due to its very nature is incouraged it seems like there may bea dual standard in effect.

Ibefore posting this I took the time to talk with Moderators in several forums similar to this one where I could be more direct about a particular incident to get the feed back of those in a similar role. While a kept the details minimized I asked them about what would happen if a Mod posted something and a former Mod posted there with an unflattering though not vulgar statement which showed the dark underbelly they negected to mention in their original write up. The responss was pretty even from all of them in that the OP should never had been done in the first place but if it is done that criticism should be expected and because it was an open thread that the enitre thread should be deleted or it should be handled openly and not based on "hurt feelings" or anger.

All of the forums Mods did say one thing universally, that Mods and Admin should never open a thread like that on the open forum and that all questions about the Mods methods of conduct should be handled either through email or a private section where questions can be asked and answered confidentially.
Closed Thread