Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > The Christian Forum and Forum website

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Daniel

Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
I'm curious: Have you even considered the possibility that some Orthodox or Catholic positions that have been put forth in this forum might be correct and that yours could possibly be wrong? If not, then it seems we have a bit of the "pot calling the kettle black" here.
Absolutly CC. Orthodox or Catholic positions are correct to me on many levels.But not on all levels. I have never said that all that you believe is wrong. What i said was you do not seek to find the truth, you just want people to believe what you believe.

Ill ask it plainy for you. does the catholic church have the correct doctrine all the time?

Quote:
I don't "shove" anything down anyone's throat. You can take it or leave it. All of us here post what we post because we believe it to be correct. I doubt that you are any different in this regard.
But I am different than you. You believe what your links say are true because this is what you were taught to believe. You did not draw these conclusions on your own. We are different in what we are influenced by.

NOW does that make me right...no of course it dont. But im willing to see a different view...all views and through prayer let God make up my mind-change my mind-as He sees fit.

Are you?

Do you seek unity by seeking Gods word or is unity something to you that will come about when everyone sees things as you do?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:59 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
.....You believe what your links say are true because this is what you were taught to believe. You did not draw these conclusions on your own.....
Not true, sir. When I was young I was not taught the particulars of conciliar and papal infallibility. Young people generally are not taught that stuff. I merely approach the Bible and Christianity in a different way than you do. My study of the scriptures demonstrated to me that the Father sent the Son with all authority, and the Son sent the Twelve with all authority to teach and baptise. My further study of history has demonstrated to me to my satisfaction that only the Catholic Church can trace its bishops - and therfore its teaching authority - back to the Twelve. So, my submission to Church teaching authority is totally Bible-based, and is not the result of any youthful indoctrination.

Quote:
......But im willing to see a different view...all views and through prayer let God make up my mind-change my mind-as He sees fit.

Are you?......
I was, until as I said above, I became satisfied with what I had discovered. There is a time for searching and a time to end the search. There is a time for restlessness and a time for peace. I could never live my entire life constantly double-checking what a pastor teaches to see if he is right, or re-inventing the doctrinal wheel every few months. I am humble enough to be taught and not call myself "teacher". I am at home, and at peace, and I only wish to share that with others. If you were actually a Catholic yourself, instead of on the outside looking in, you would understand what I mean.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Daniel

Quote:
Not true, sir. When I was young I was not taught the particulars of conciliar and papal infallibility. Young people generally are not taught that stuff. I merely approach the Bible and Christianity in a different way than you do. My study of the scriptures demonstrated to me that the Father sent the Son with all authority, and the Son sent the Twelve with all authority to teach and baptise. My further study of history has demonstrated to me to my satisfaction that only the Catholic Church can trace its bishops - and therfore its teaching authority - back to the Twelve. So, my submission to Church teaching authority is totally Bible-based, and is not the result of any youthful indoctrination.

I was, until as I said above, I became satisfied with what I had discovered. There is a time for searching and a time to end the search. There is a time for restlessness and a time for peace. I could never live my entire life constantly double-checking what a pastor teaches to see if he is right, or re-inventing the doctrinal wheel every few months. I am humble enough to be taught and not call myself "teacher". I am at home, and at peace, and I only wish to share that with others. If you were actually a Catholic yourself, instead of on the outside looking in, you would understand what I mean.
So back on point. you are not here to seek the truth of Gods word. you are here because you know everythink already(because you are catholic) and will find unity when we all agree with the catholic church.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:26 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
So back on point. you are not here to seek the truth of Gods word. you are here because you know everythink already(because you are catholic) and will find unity when we all agree with the catholic church.
That is not neccessarily true either. There are many, many areas where the Church is silent. There are many, many areas where Catholics are free to believe a wide range of interpretations. For example: A Catholic can be a young-earther and take the six days of creation literally, or he can accept certain tenets of evolution and believe the earth is billions of years old, and either way be within the confines of orthodoxy.

We have Bible study groups too, you know. The Church exhorts and promotes Bible study. The riches of God's Word are an inexhaustible mine or jewels waiting to be excavated. I learn lots of things all the time. The only things I do NOT budge on are those doctrines which have been infallibly defined. But there is much much more to learn and discover.

Oh you have such a narrow view of us Catholics don't you.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Daniel

[quote]
Quote:
The only things I do NOT budge on are those doctrines which have been infallibly defined.
If they are infallable why do we debate them? I would say the answer is to whom the infallability is credited to.

Quote:
Oh you have such a narrow view of us Catholics don't you
I do have a narrow view of anyone who is narrow enough not to consider they could be wrong.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:59 PM

[quote=Daniel;44359]
Quote:

If they are infallable why do we debate them? I would say the answer is to whom the infallability is credited to.

I do have a narrow view of anyone who is narrow enough not to consider they could be wrong.
As Dr. Gene Scott (King's Highway) used to croon, Everybody has a right to be wrong.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Daniel

[quote=WilliamtheConqueror;44362]
Quote:

As Dr. Gene Scott (King's Highway) used to croon, Everybody has a right to be wrong.
I think one day when we are all in heaven we will realize how little we all knew.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
I never said I could never be wrong.

At any rate, I fear this thread has gone WAYYYY off topic
Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Daniel

Quote:
I never said I could never be wrong.

At any rate, I fear this thread has gone WAYYYY off topic
But it hasnt gotton off topic ..the topic is the purpose of this website which is unity.

You did say you would NOT budge on are those doctrines which have been infallibly defined by the catholic church.
So either that means you cant be wrong or you can be and dont really care.

Now how do we find a way to be unified if one of us doesnt budge? Or 50 million of us?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Representative Clergy

[quote=Daniel;44328]
Quote:

This first part of your post rings the gong for me. This is where the problem lies.

most people here are not here because they seek the truth. they are not here to learn the mysteries of the word of God, they are here to shove there denominational beliefs down others throats until they can accept it.
I know thats a harsh way to put it but this is how it is.

You harry would be a great example of what I am saying. You are orthodox and since the orthodox know everything about everything you must be correct in all you say. I havent seen you yeild yet.
CC is another great example of a person who has an unteachable spirit. In his eyes there is nothing left to learn because the catholic church is the only church. So we are flooded on a daily basis with links from the catholic church for us to view,which im sure everyone reads.
How mnay people here have you seen change there mind about anything at all? .....10? .......maybe?

The only way to find unity is to be humbled. Problem is the people of the body of Christ have become so haudy and pompis that humble is not a word that comes to mind when trying to teach or learn.

I do realize what Im saying here will amount to zero but I suppose I feel my job here on this site is to promote unity. To do that we must break some walls down first.

sorry
If you have not "seen me yield yet," you have not been looking close enough. You have falsely accused me here. In the Christian forum, we each state what the position is from our particular background that we are coming from, and we discuss differences from there. If you feel that this is shoving it down your throat, then this is the wrong forum for you. There is nothing to "yield." We acknowledge our positions, figure out where we agree, figure out where we disagree, and discuss the disagreements. THAT IS WHAT THIS FORUM IS ABOUT.

Last edited by Linsinbigler : 07-09-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Closed Thread