True2Ourselves
Already a member? login
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
  
+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > The Christian Forum and Forum website

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Linsinbigler's Avatar
Representative Clergy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,150
Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsong View Post
It would be nice if posts like that were moved to a specific area, however that would probably be a full time job for a moderator and that would make it almost impossible. So all and all if most of posts (which lean to heresy) were ignored I guess that would be the best way to handle it.... but then there are the lurkers - maybe most would not view messages which had little to no viewers or responses... Guess for that there is no easy answer.
Windy, this is an excellent suggestion. A moving of inflammatory or controversial posts to another section that would be under the same heading is an excellent idea. That way talking heads could have their own section to post away without having to "boot" them or without having to let them take over the store. The only set back on creating it, has you have also identified, is manpower, and that it would be a full time job. Anyway, good thoughts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
  #12  
Old 07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
CatholicCrusader
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
Windy, this is an excellent suggestion. A moving of inflammatory or controversial posts to another section that would be under the same heading is an excellent idea. That way talking heads could have their own section to post away without having to "boot" them or without having to let them take over the store. The only set back on creating it, has you have also identified, is manpower, and that it would be a full time job. Anyway, good thoughts.
If a post is inflammatory, then I would think it would better be removed then just moved.

As for "controversial" posts, that is touchy ground. One person here said that some posts are "heresy". My question is: Who is that person to say whether my or someone elses beliefs are heresy? Perhaps it is THEIR beliefs that are actually heresy.

I would say that if proposed beliefs in a post fall outside the norms of the three major branches of Christianity (EO, Catholic, Protestant) then move them. That covers a wide swath of ground though. It really requires a thoughtful, fair-minded mod to make that call. Luckily for this website, we do have such mods.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
  #13  
Old 07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Linsinbigler's Avatar
Representative Clergy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,150
Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

I suppose I should have clarified, inflammatory meaning that the post does not violate any particular rule but nonetheless is used to provoke controversy as opposed to thoughtful responses. I think you are right, although one would need to clarify "protestant," in that many would claim this as their banner who are really outside of protestantism per se.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
  #14  
Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 PM
CatholicCrusader
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
I suppose I should have clarified, inflammatory meaning that the post does not violate any particular rule but nonetheless is used to provoke controversy as opposed to thoughtful responses.......
Wooo. Thats a tough call. I sometimes like to provoke "debate". Would that be considered provoking thoughtful responses or provoking controversey? Words words words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
..... I think you are right, although one would need to clarify "protestant," in that many would claim this as their banner who are really outside of protestantism per se.
As I said, it requires a thoughtful mod to make the call.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
  #15  
Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Windsong's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 292
Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

Actually I was thinking more a violation of the accepted tenants of Christianity - Jesus Christ is God - Trinity (I know that one might be an issue but it is accepted as a base of Christianity) - I believe these are set out in the guidelines for the web forum in the rules? Anyway anyone could comment but those issues should be removed from the normal Christian areas to a place for arguing them out .... I know it is impractical but I do believe Christians can identify basic heresy from the guidelines of the forum. I might consider some Catholic views to be heresy however that wasn't what I mean.... Nor was I suggesting removing the posters, just putting their messages where those who love to argue can do it. I have posted that I am not here to argue Catholic views, I have some good friends who are Catholic and I respect their understanding I just don't agree with it

In Christ
Windy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
  #16  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 AM
BruceG
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
If a post is inflammatory, then I would think it would better be removed then just moved.

As for "controversial" posts, that is touchy ground. One person here said that some posts are "heresy". My question is: Who is that person to say whether my or someone elses beliefs are heresy? Perhaps it is THEIR beliefs that are actually heresy.

I would say that if proposed beliefs in a post fall outside the norms of the three major branches of Christianity (EO, Catholic, Protestant) then move them. That covers a wide swath of ground though. It really requires a thoughtful, fair-minded mod to make that call. Luckily for this website, we do have such mods.
I think the same could be said for what exactly defines "inflammatory"? Some people are more sensitive than others, but the nice thing about posting is...if you do not like someones "technique" in posting, simply do not read them, or answer.

Again, violating the rules as written is clearly unacceptable, but as to censoring a post or poster because some deem it inflammatory, is, at least in my opinion, treading on the thin ice of censorship.

I would suspect the Jews might have wished to shut Jeremiah up at times, becasue he never had anything good to say. He was always prophesying bad things over Israel. Yet, in truth, he was the true voice of sanity and the multitude who thought they were walking pleasing to God needed to be listening to what he alone had to say. It is something to think about.

I think we must realize that one's definition of love may not be anothers. Was Jeremiah walking in love when he chastized Israel for departing from teh ways of God? Yes. Did Israel think so? I sincerely doubt it. It is important after one reads a "hard word from the Lord" to let it settle on our spirits and to weigh its contents after our feelings that may have been hurt calm down.

Often, there can be much truth in a hard word, and as well, much love. I know in my heart, when I have something to share that I know will upset many, I do it with trepidation because like almost everyone, I do not like to be disliked. Yet, because I truly believe what I have received from the Lord to be true, I post it anyway, even if I know I will catch a lot of flak for it, because I do love and feel the word shared is vitally important to believers. Does that make sense? LOL. I hope so.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
  #17  
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 AM
NotFinishedYet's Avatar
Knight of the Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,736
Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsong View Post
Actually I was thinking more a violation of the accepted tenants of Christianity - Jesus Christ is God - Trinity (I know that one might be an issue but it is accepted as a base of Christianity) - I believe these are set out in the guidelines for the web forum in the rules? Anyway anyone could comment but those issues should be removed from the normal Christian areas to a place for arguing them out .... I know it is impractical but I do believe Christians can identify basic heresy from the guidelines of the forum. I might consider some Catholic views to be heresy however that wasn't what I mean.... Nor was I suggesting removing the posters, just putting their messages where those who love to argue can do it. I have posted that I am not here to argue Catholic views, I have some good friends who are Catholic and I respect their understanding I just don't agree with it

In Christ
Windy

Well..... I'd certainly be one of those corralled into the "bad thinking" corner. And what attracted me to this site was the idea that we could openly discuss our differences; be they the "orthodox" (no capital there) beliefs or not. I can point to many of us here who do not hold onto things such as the Trinity, Hell, even God if you talk with my friend Brad. Is the idea of corralling us any different from banning us? I thank God daily when my thoughts are challenged here by posters whose views are different then mine! That is one of the ways God helps us to grow in our knowledge of His truth. But it all comes back to the purpose of this forum: To encourage candid communication among people of good faith everywhere who seek the truth. Our objective is to promote true unity among the world wide community of faith. It is not our objective to create "artificial unity" or unity for its own sake. This website rests on the premise that if we are true2ourselves, the bonding experience of our ministers will surely become our own! We will then continue our march together towards God's glory where all believers will eventually be one!

Candid communication. Many of us hold back now from posting in threads as we know our thoughts will not be accepted or will just cause an avalanche of posts where it is evident that our words are not even being read. I chose to just walk away generally on these threads rather than pursue them, knowing that only the voices of those in agreement will be heard. I also cringe when someone like Rogertutt comes through as while we hold many similar beliefs, I see him shutting doors for me to ever be able to "candidly" speak. Guess that falls under the words "people of good faith". With this comes (IMO) the idea of respect. Unfortunately, I think many of us fail to treat each other and our diverse views respectfully. We do not listen, we do not clarify: we dismiss each other. Finally, I point to the words: "who seek the Truth." Items considered truth at one time in history are considered "heresy" now by some, and belief in Jesus Himself was heresy in the day. What I hold as "truth" now is not what I held as a Christian 40 years ago; not even 2 years ago. Each of us who sign on here are seekers; some to learn, some to teach. Conflict comes when we all sit in the same seat and can not find a balance between teacher/student or when we all declare ourselves to hold the only truth.

May God bless us all as we seek Him. Peggy
__________________
Why are we here, what's life all about? Is God really real, or is there some doubt? Well tonight we're going to sort it all out: For tonight it's the meaning of life" Not Finished Yet
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
  #18  
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 AM
CatholicCrusader
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFinishedYet View Post
....Is the idea of corralling us any different from banning us?....
I am very sensitive to what you are saying. There are some "Christian" websites who don't consider Catholics to be Christians and will ban you at the first mention of Catholicism, and there are other sites that will only allow Catholic beliefs to be discussed in preset threads with no new threads being allowed. So I empathize with what you are saying.

Having said that, surely a line must be drawn somewhere, no? How about if Buddhist or Muslim ideas are allowed to compete directly in threads with Christian beliefs? This would no longer be a Christian website, but would rather be a general "religious" website. So somewhere in there there needs to be some sort of line. I'm glad I won't be the one to draw it though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
  #19  
Old 07-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Daniel
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
I know that I run the risk of emptying the basket here, but I cannot remain silent any longer.

The purpose and mission of this website, as is stated clearly on the entry page, is To encourage candid communication among people of good faith everywhere who seek the truth.
This first part of your post rings the gong for me. This is where the problem lies.

most people here are not here because they seek the truth. they are not here to learn the mysteries of the word of God, they are here to shove there denominational beliefs down others throats until they can accept it.
I know thats a harsh way to put it but this is how it is.

You harry would be a great example of what I am saying. You are orthodox and since the orthodox know everything about everything you must be correct in all you say. I havent seen you yeild yet.
CC is another great example of a person who has an unteachable spirit. In his eyes there is nothing left to learn because the catholic church is the only church. So we are flooded on a daily basis with links from the catholic church for us to view,which im sure everyone reads.
How mnay people here have you seen change there mind about anything at all? .....10? .......maybe?


The only way to find unity is to be humbled. Problem is the people of the body of Christ have become so haudy and pompis that humble is not a word that comes to mind when trying to teach or learn.

I do realize what Im saying here will amount to zero but I suppose I feel my job here on this site is to promote unity. To do that we must break some walls down first.

sorry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
  #20  
Old 07-09-2009, 04:33 PM
CatholicCrusader
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
This first part of your post rings the gong for me. This is where the problem lies.

most people here are not here because they seek the truth. they are not here to learn the mysteries of the word of God, they are here to shove there denominational beliefs down others throats until they can accept it.
I know thats a harsh way to put it but this is how it is.

You harry would be a great example of what I am saying. You are orthodox and since the orthodox know everything about everything you must be correct in all you say. I havent seen you yeild yet.
CC is another great example of a person who has an unteachable spirit. In his eyes there is nothing left to learn because the catholic church is the only church. So we are flooded on a daily basis with links from the catholic church for us to view,which im sure everyone reads.
How mnay people here have you seen change there mind about anything at all? .....10? .......maybe?


The only way to find unity is to be humbled. Problem is the people of the body of Christ have become so haudy and pompis that humble is not a word that comes to mind when trying to teach or learn.

I do realize what Im saying here will amount to zero but I suppose I feel my job here on this site is to promote unity. To do that we must break some walls down first.

sorry
I'm curious: Have you even considered the possibility that some Orthodox or Catholic positions that have been put forth in this forum might be correct and that yours could possibly be wrong? If not, then it seems we have a bit of the "pot calling the kettle black" here.

I don't "shove" anything down anyone's throat. You can take it or leave it. All of us here post what we post because we believe it to be correct. I doubt that you are any different in this regard.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A True Christian Forum... Moose General Discussions 60 05-31-2009 10:26 AM
Testing forum Vedd Site Suggestions 9 05-05-2009 10:50 PM
A Time out forum? DeeperStill Site Suggestions 14 03-26-2009 09:28 AM
Im new to the forum. RichardD Introductions 3 11-28-2008 08:52 PM
Forum Disclaimer administrator Forum Rules 0 05-25-2008 12:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.


true2ourselves
 
 
 

Flashcoms

You need to upgrade your Flash Player.

Version 8 or higher is required.

download from http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29