Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > The Christian Forum and Forum website

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
CatholicCrusader

Default Re: The Christian Forum and Forum website

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywayback View Post
Some of the posts here sort of surprise me as to how heretic they actually are......
and who said you are the decider of what is heresy and what is not?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Josiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
and who said you are the decider of what is heresy and what is not?
Is one if that self same one so declares that self is?

It seems to ME central to the reason we are HERE is to pursue unity in the embrace of what is necessary and what is true. That probably includes the opposite (although I'm not sure I'D be eager to frame such as specifically "heresy."). IF you are indicating that it is not permitted to examine if teachings are true or false, then how do you propose for us to purpose the reason we are all here?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:14 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Is one if that self same one so declares that self is?......
So, do you speak English much?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Josiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona View Post
This thread is too long to read it all but I read the op and the final page.

Seems it drifted a bit.

I joined this forum as I am quite passionate about Christian unity.
I thought this forum was in line with my thoughts.
Well, I agree with Linsinbigler, the forum may hold that view but there are many posting here who do not as they seem intent on commenting on all the errors within denominations which are not their own and, as usual, Catholicism comes in for most of the stick.

I do not want unity at all any price but it would be good if all denominations recognised the places where they can agree with each other and by all means discuss what is different but they really should not judge others to be non Christian when their enlightenment is at a different place to their own.

There is only one truth but God is so big, I think his truth has many facets.

I read on another forum once where someone compared the different facets of truth to 4 blind men feeling an elephant and coming up with different concepts of what an elephant was.
The first felt the tail and said the elephant was like a rope.
The second felt a leg and said it was like a tree
The third felt the side and said it was like a wall
The forth felt the trunk and said it was like a snake

They all left the elephant in its field and went away arguing with each other about what they believed it to be most like.

Of course they were all right but of course they were all wrong also as each part made up a whole that was different from the men's concepts.

Do you think that maybe, because denominations seem to hone in on different aspects of God as described in scripture, they may be falling prey to the same way of thinking?

Baptists concentrate on adult baptism by full immersion.
Pentecostals concentrate on the work of the Holy Spirit.
Catholics on the Eucharist.
CoE are so diverse within themselves that it is hard to pin point what they concentrate on.
and so the list goes on.

It is very interesting discovering what others believe but it should not be the cause of strife.
Perhaps if we all came together and shared our beliefs and looked at them as Berians, (sp?)we might gain a better overall knowledge of God as a whole.

I would love to hear what others think about this.
I have made many posts so far and 80% of them may have been read but have not been commented on.
When I write things I like discussing them otherwise it seems it is a bit of a waste of time.

But this is something that happens on most forums, this is no different.
People are of course interested in putting their own pov but seem reluctant to discuss others with them.
Unless they vehemently disagree and then they are never backward in coming forward!

Thank you....

I, too, am passionate about unity. And Truth.

I decided to register and join HERE because, while I think the task before us is more allusive than the website does, I think it MUST be pursued. If only on a personal level.

On the one hand, in my old age, I'm increasingly embracive of the unity I think we DO share - the unity of faith in Christ, the community of faith, the communion of saints. This is a mystery of the Holy Spirit working faith in our hearts, it's something GOD does. The gates of hell cannot prevail against this. AND, in my old age, I increasingly am focused on a unity of heart, a unity of spirit - embracing each other as fully brothers and sisters in Christ, in the church that is one, holy and catholic. I'm frustrated by the walls some have build around self and I LONG and PRAY for mutual respect and love. "By this will all the world know that you are My disciples: if you have love." Not "that you are all formally registered in congregations legally affiliated with the same denomination" or "that you all docilicly embrace all the current points of the Catechism of the ____________ denomination." Love. In some ways, I think we're getting better! I WANT to be part of the solution in this.

On the other hand, that's not what THIS website is about. THIS is about DOCTRINAL unity and agreement. In THAT I'm less optimistic. There has NEVER been a time when all Christians totally agreed on all things. Perhaps no time was the less so than in the early centuries, but maybe we're getting almost as bad now. We don't agree on what we should agree on, and we don't agree even on that! Now, that doesn't discount a HUGE corpus of agreement! As a LUTHERAN, I probably agree with the RCC maybe 95% of the time (which my Catholic priest said is "a whole lot better than most Catholics!") - and we really shouldn't loose sight of that! But, we don't all totally agree on all issues. And do we NEED to? And are we placing TOO much stress on OUR cognative abilities to fully understand all aspects of God and the things of God? I don't know.....

I have VERY little hope of much progress among institutions (that includes our denominations). They are typically structured for self preservation - of the institution and what such teaches. Don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT at all anti-denomination, but I think the goal HERE is not one typically embraced by denominations. As tragic as I think it is, a genuine and meaningful Church Council is impossible in the milaeu created in the early years of the church (no wonder there hasn't been one in some 1200 years). WAY too much pride, individualism and institutionalism - and it's been entrenched for MANY, MANY centuries (long before Luther was born!). BUT, individuals CAN take this up (a situation that has it's own set of problems!).

As difficult as the goal here is, I embrace it. And, for the most part, thoughtful, informed, articulate people have gathered here. I learn a lot here. That, in and of itself, is a good thing! I think any with the humility to admit they could be wrong are teachable - esepcially in an open and good forum such as this.

Pax

- Josiah

Old 11-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Josiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah

Is one if that self same one so declares that self is?......
So, do you speak English much?

Yes, do you? Is there a reason you so often don't engage in discussion or reply to what is said when you reply to a post?

I asked a question in perfectly simple English, AGAIN, you chose to ignore. You seemed to be rebuking a poster for your conclusion that he was appointing self as the arbiter. Okay. Is THAT what you are ridiculing? Self appointing self as the arbiter of what is heresy?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Thank you....

I, too, am passionate about unity. And Truth.

I decided to register and join HERE because, while I think the task before us is more allusive than the website does, I think it MUST be pursued. If only on a personal level.

On the one hand, in my old age, I'm increasingly embracive of the unity I think we DO share - the unity of faith in Christ, the community of faith, the communion of saints. This is a mystery of the Holy Spirit working faith in our hearts, it's something GOD does. The gates of hell cannot prevail against this. AND, in my old age, I increasingly am focused on a unity of heart, a unity of spirit - embracing each other as fully brothers and sisters in Christ, in the church that is one, holy and catholic. I'm frustrated by the walls some have build around self and I LONG and PRAY for mutual respect and love. "By this will all the world know that you are My disciples: if you have love." Not "that you are all formally registered in congregations legally affiliated with the same denomination" or "that you all docilicly embrace all the current points of the Catechism of the ____________ denomination." Love. In some ways, I think we're getting better! I WANT to be part of the solution in this.

On the other hand, that's not what THIS website is about. THIS is about DOCTRINAL unity and agreement. In THAT I'm less optimistic. There has NEVER been a time when all Christians totally agreed on all things. Perhaps no time was the less so than in the early centuries, but maybe we're getting almost as bad now. We don't agree on what we should agree on, and we don't agree even on that! Now, that doesn't discount a HUGE corpus of agreement! As a LUTHERAN, I probably agree with the RCC maybe 95% of the time (which my Catholic priest said is "a whole lot better than most Catholics!") - and we really shouldn't loose sight of that! But, we don't all totally agree on all issues. And do we NEED to? And are we placing TOO much stress on OUR cognative abilities to fully understand all aspects of God and the things of God? I don't know.....

I have VERY little hope of much progress among institutions (that includes our denominations). They are typically structured for self preservation - of the institution and what such teaches. Don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT at all anti-denomination, but I think the goal HERE is not one typically embraced by denominations. As tragic as I think it is, a genuine and meaningful Church Council is impossible in the milaeu created in the early years of the church (no wonder there hasn't been one in some 1200 years). WAY too much pride, individualism and institutionalism - and it's been entrenched for MANY, MANY centuries (long before Luther was born!). BUT, individuals CAN take this up (a situation that has it's own set of problems!).

As difficult as the goal here is, I embrace it. And, for the most part, thoughtful, informed, articulate people have gathered here. I learn a lot here. That, in and of itself, is a good thing! I think any with the humility to admit they could be wrong are teachable - esepcially in an open and good forum such as this.

Pax

- Josiah

I have never met a person who left the Catholic Church that believed in the true presence of our Lord in the Eucharist. Usually they have been hurt by someone in the Church or they are in sin and refuse to admit the sin...so they leave. Our Lord set a high bar to be Catholic and the World hates and persecutes His Church as He predicted.

When Jesus askedt Peter..."Will you leave me also?" Peter said: "To whom would we go? Thou art the Lord".

Our Lord would be very happy if you returned home.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Josiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretohouse View Post
I have never met a person who left the Catholic Church that believed in the true presence of our Lord in the Eucharist.
Actually, I've never met any who did that did not. Different experiences, I guess....

Quote:
Usually they have been hurt by someone in the Church or they are in sin and refuse to admit the sin...so they leave.
Not me.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 PM

Thier is no other name under heaven whereby a man must be saved
Old 08-14-2011, 12:34 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretohouse View Post
I have never met a person who left the Catholic Church that believed in the true presence of our Lord in the Eucharist. Usually they have been hurt by someone in the Church or they are in sin and refuse to admit the sin...so they leave. Our Lord set a high bar to be Catholic and the World hates and persecutes His Church as He predicted.

When Jesus askedt Peter..."Will you leave me also?" Peter said: "To whom would we go? Thou art the Lord".

Our Lord would be very happy if you returned home.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Josiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post

The purpose and mission of this website, as is stated clearly on the entry page, is “To encourage candid communication among people of good faith everywhere who seek the truth.
Emphasis not original

Father,

Would you say that one whose purpose and mission here is not to "seek truth" but rather to defend his/her opinions and/or to convert others to his/her view is ergo in conflict with the stated reason for being here?

Quote:
I can tell you that I see several of the representative clergy log in and read, but do not post. For the most part, this is probably because we are all VERY busy individuals. However, I think and I could be limiting the whole reason, that perhaps they feel it would be to no avail. Perhaps this is because they would feel like it was a scene out of Matrix III where they are attacked by the machines hitting Zion, I don’t know. Most of us have many jobs besides just pastor. We have various clergy who are responsible for much more than a parish, are education directors for dioceses, canon lawyers, leaders of ecumenical dialogue groups, and many who have other jobs in addition to this. We all have several “day jobs.”

All VERY understandable.... Nonetheless, I think there is a (perhaps unintentional) implication supplied that they are very active - indeed, that such is the distinctive mark of this site. I know that was the whole reason I signed up here - I wanted to hear from trained, informed, CLERGY with strong hearts for seeking truth and unity. Again, what is is - but is THAT the impression given on the main page?

Quote:
But this website, the Christian forum website T2O, seems to stray, and sometimes stray drastically, from what the Christian Forum really is.
That's been my observation, too. Not too many seekers of truth or those interested in FINDING unity. It's more "I'm right - and you would be too if you agreed with me." I'm not surprised or offended by that, but I agree with you - it is a "drastic stray" from the purpose of the site, the reason we stated for our being here. Again, understandable....

Quote:
There is an imbalanced “voice” here with regard to those who speak for the 90% that agrees on fundamentals of Christianity (Trinity, Incarnation, etc.).

I haven't noticed Staff creating and insisting on threads that reveal what we all hold in common and focus strongly on the UNITY Christians today share. I agree with you, it is MUCH.

Quote:
If in anyway I have offended anyone with the stumbling block of Christ, I do not apologize, but tell you to repent. I am not here to make friends for myself, but for the Lord. Any of the words of faith that I have spoken that are not in accord with that faith that was delivered in word and epistle from the beginning--let them be consigned to oblivion. Any of those words that reflect that which has been verifiably held from the beginning, let them be burnt into your hearts.

I think MANY here share your attitude, goal and agenda.

I'm thankful for your presence. You are probably 90% of the reason I signed up here, I wanted to learn better the EO perspective. Unfortunately, that's not been embraced but that's okay. I know how busy you are and appreciate the time you spend to talk to the handful of folks here. Thank you.

Closed Thread