Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Who Collects Religious Movies?

Old 05-31-2009, 02:01 PM
CatholicCrusader

Default Who Collects Religious Movies?

My current list of religious movies and documentaries I own is:

MOVIES:
The Agony and the Ecstasy
A.D.
Passion of the Christ
Jesus of Nazareth
The Robe
Demetrius and the Gladiators
Barabbas
The Song of Bernadette
The Ten Commandments
Beckett
A Man For All Seasons
The Nativity Story

DOCUMENTARIES:
Footprints of God: Mary
Footprints of God: Peter
Footprints of God: David/Solomon
National Geographic: Inside the Vatican

My next two to get are "Quo Vadis" and "Ben Hur".

Who else collects DVDs ?

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 06-01-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Who Collects Religious Movies?

Great collection!

I have a few... The Gospel of John, The Passion, Fireproof, Facing the Giants, The story of Moses, a few others can't think of off the top of my head... looking to get some more.

*Surprisingly, I think two of the best Bible films are the animated version of the life of Joseph, "Joseph, Prince of Dreams" and the animated version of Moses "Moses, Prince Of Egypt" - very well done!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Great collection!

I have a few... The Gospel of John, The Passion, Fireproof, Facing the Giants, The story of Moses, a few others can't think of off the top of my head... looking to get some more.

*Surprisingly, I think two of the best Bible films are the animated version of the life of Joseph, "Joseph, Prince of Dreams" and the animated version of Moses "Moses, Prince Of Egypt" - very well done!
You should call Ignatius Press and ask them to send you their movie catalog for free. They have TONS of stuff, from movies to animated movies to documentaries: Ignatius Press Home
Old 05-31-2009, 02:30 PM

This may sound very strange but I don't really like religious movies or TV. They never capture the Bible the way I read it. I have watched some and they were enjoyable. Once. To me salvation is like an adventure, perhaps like Lewis and Clark forging their way to the west coast. The vistas are real and so are the dangers. But the rewards are way beyond the cost. I can not stand sitting in a church going through some half hearted process with people who don't want to be there. I really liked working in my friends food ministry, driving trucks to and from LA. We went places and met people one did not even know existed. I especially liked working with the Jewish community. In many ways they are a lot like the Catholics in that they have a sense of history and destiny. That sense make a difference in how people see themselves.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:33 PM
CatholicCrusader

I really love The Agony and the Ecstasy

Here is a great scene, where the pope (Rex Harrison) tells Michaelangelo (Charlton Heston) that he is going to paint Sistine Chapel ceiling. The look on Heston's face is like "Are you out of your mind". LOL. LINK TO VIDEO CLIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by christkid777 View Post
This may sound very strange but I don't really like religious movies or TV. They never capture the Bible the way I read it............
Well, I certainly don't look to them for specific Biblical study. I look to them for entertainment - or in the case of documentaries, interesting information. Although, my "Footprints of God" documentaries are very good for Biblical understanding of certain things.

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 05-31-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Knight of the Forum

Jesus of Nazareth (Reader' Digest and Zefferilli versions)
The Robe
Barabbas
The Song of Bernadette
The Ten Commandments
Ben Hur
Brother Sun, Sister Moon
Francis of Assisi
King of Kings
Greatest Story Evertold
Saving Sarah Kane
Godspell
Jesus Christ Superstar

I think there's more but hubby's sleeping (works midnight shift) so I can't go check the list; we have @1200 movies..... yes, Ignatius Press is great.

And because you're starting to know that I have a warped sense of humor, I will admit also to:

Saved
Life of Brian
Meaning of Life
Old 05-31-2009, 02:51 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFinishedYet View Post
Jesus of Nazareth (Reader' Digest and Zefferilli versions)
The Robe
Barabbas
The Song of Bernadette
The Ten Commandments
Ben Hur
Brother Sun, Sister Moon
Francis of Assisi
King of Kings
Greatest Story Evertold
Saving Sarah Kane
Godspell
Jesus Christ Superstar

I think there's more but hubby's sleeping (works midnight shift) so I can't go check the list; we have @1200 movies..... yes, Ignatius Press is great.

And because you're starting to know that I have a warped sense of humor, I will admit also to:

Saved
Life of Brian
Meaning of Life
Great list!! I thought I was the only person who knew about Demetrius and the Gladiators. LOL.

I'd like to get Brother Sun, Sister Moon/Francis of Assisi myself.

1200 movies? Holy Moley.

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 05-31-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Great list!! I though I was the only person who knew about Demetrius and the Gladiators. LOL.

I'd like to get Brother Sun, Sister Moon/Francis of Assisi myself.

1200 movies? Holy Moley.

Yeah, that's an estimate, we may have passed that.... we're both movie buffs and Randy loves the old epic religious ones. As I think about it I have to add:

Bells of St. Mary's
A.D.
Samson and Dahilia
Boys Town
Megiddo

Oh, and it's not a movie but IMO the best telling of the birth of Christ:
A Charlie Brown Christmas. Linus still makes me cry when he says "I can, Charlie Brown."
Old 05-31-2009, 06:54 PM

When I think of religious movies the one that really got to me when I was a young girl was The Nun's Story with Audrey Hepburn---very sad but very good. It comes on tv every once in awhile and its still good.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:04 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
When I think of religious movies the one that really got to me when I was a young girl was The Nun's Story with Audrey Hepburn---very sad but very good. It comes on tv every once in awhile and its still good.
I looked it up on IMDB:
The Nun's Story (1959)

Looks pretty good.