Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Who Collects Religious Movies?

Old 03-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Who Collects Religious Movies?

Great new movie: "Risen". Who has seen it? I'd like to get that one next.

Risen (2016) - IMDb

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-10-2018, 12:36 PM

Watched it about a year ago but have not yet upgraded my VHS Agony & Ecstasy unlike my Ben Hur and 10-Commandments. The way I’ve heard it this list has grown quite a bit since you posted this. But to say all the reports of slipshoddiness for accuracy certainly has its own threshold for rejection, but isn’t that more easily endured than refused? Still, it has caused my list to remain small.

On the “Agony” segments where Michelangelo is painting upwards, well I can tell you first-hand having painted and stained in that position, the fluid that leaves the brush or rag feels reminiscent to something crawly on your arm racing towards the armpit. Hate it. But I think they played that up a bit. Painters back then well understood the handling of oils before letting it get to that point of brush-handle, hand and arm.

When will you make an end?” Ha! Remember? I’ve painted professionally since 1979, and even if you are in moonlight mode with no one to ask this of you (which they do constantly), you do of yourself. There are some of today’s crop of photorealist who can take a year on a single common painting and are adamant over their freedom to project patience, very few at that.

But what if an artist did capture for us the Lord’s visage well enough to impress the mind with Isaiah’s record,

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

(Isaiah 53:2)

I’m thinking Hollywood would treat it the same just like they do the word – “Embellish!” Would the faintest glimmer of monetary gain not become so evident, the red-carpet extravaganzas may have become quite different today.

Last edited by pryz : 03-10-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Some fool spelling
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Knight of the Forum

“When will you make an end?” LOL. That was great. Rex Harrison is great.

Yes, my list had grown by a few since the very first post but not much.

I don't mind artistic license from Hollywood as long as it does not monkey with the Christian faith directly. I did NOT like the recent movie "Noah", I felt it had too much license and was also pushing a leftist environmentalist agenda, and I won't buy it. But I thought "Risen" was wonderful even though the character was totally fictional.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 03-11-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:21 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
My current list of religious movies and documentaries I own is:
MOVIES:
The Agony and the Ecstasy
A.D.
Passion of the Christ
Jesus of Nazareth
The Robe
Demetrius and the Gladiators
Barabbas
The Song of Bernadette
The Ten Commandments
Beckett
A Man For All Seasons
The Nativity Story

DOCUMENTARIES:
Footprints of God: Mary
Footprints of God: Peter
Footprints of God: David/Solomon
National Geographic: Inside the Vatican

My next two to get are "Quo Vadis" and "Ben Hur".

Who else collects DVDs ?
Quote:
I just ordered "Becket"
Becket DVD : Ignatius Press
My Christmas present to myself.
Quote:
I now have the amazing dvd set: "Catholicism"

I just found "Noah" with Russell Crowe in the $5 dollar bin near the Walmart check-out. LOL. What the heck, I bought it. I don't rank it with some of the others, but its another addition to the collection. It has some serious flaws in it Biblically speaking, but its an okay movie.