Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Gambling (sin?)

Old 11-23-2008, 05:34 AM
PentecostalEvangelist

Default Gambling (sin?)

Ok I need Biblical evidence that unquestionably states that Gambling is a sin.

I do not need or want opinions as to why anyone feels like Gambling is a sin, or opinions as to why anyone feels like Gambling is wrong, or what Gambling causes.

I know Gambling (in some cases not all) causes problems in some peoples lives, but even these things are NOT proof that Gambling is a sin SO.....

Scripture please (preferably New testament)...

Thanks ( need to show to family member)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Gambling (sin?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PentecostalEvangelist View Post
Ok I need Biblical evidence that unquestionably states that Gambling is a sin.

I do not need or want opinions as to why anyone feels like Gambling is a sin, or opinions as to why anyone feels like Gambling is wrong, or what Gambling causes.

I know Gambling (in some cases not all) causes problems in some peoples lives, but even these things are NOT proof that Gambling is a sin SO.....

Scripture please (preferably New testament)...

Thanks ( need to show to family member)

none.

just as there are no Scriptures to show that say smoking is sin, or drinking is sin.

Some of those we call sin are subject to private interpretation. I do not call, or preach, things as sin that are not named so in the Bible.

For example, there are those who will point to the Scripture that says: provide things that are honest in the sight of the Lord (Romans 12:17 and 2 Corinthians 8:21) but context in both scriptures exclude gambling.

None.

Violations of some principles, yes, there are.

Principles like: Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:11 AM

Romans 14:22-23, James 4:17, Matt 6:19-24, I Tim 6:10, I Cor 9:25, Luke 16:11. You will not find a scripture specifically about gambling. It doesn't exist. Read the parable of the prodigal son who was given his inheritance early and wasted it.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyme View Post
Romans 14:22-23, James 4:17, Matt 6:19-24, I Tim 6:10, I Cor 9:25, Luke 16:11. You will not find a scripture specifically about gambling. It doesn't exist. Read the parable of the prodigal son who was given his inheritance early and wasted it.
Yeah, and the preachers insert him being a gambler. We don't know that, for a fact. If it's not in the Bible, then it's open for speculation.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Minister

CASTING lots for the garment of Christ was gambling.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:06 PM
PentecostalEvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevStevenMRobinson View Post
CASTING lots for the garment of Christ was gambling.
Yes this is true but do the scriptures relating to this incident specifically state that it is a sin to gamble.

A Roman soldier drove nails with a hammer into Jesus' hands and feet would that make driving nails with a hammer a sin?

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be sarcastic I need scripture specifically stating that it is a sin to gamble.

The individual I need scripture for is a very inteligent person who will not be swayed without actual Biblical evidence. (He IS also a born again Spirit filled Christian)
Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Minister

here is how i study it,,,,,,,, driving nails into the heads of Christ is something we all did since we are sinners.........it is not a sin to drive a nail into a wall to hang a framed picture nor is it a sin to frame a house for building. that being said. If one puts anything before Christ than yep........ it's a sin.
If a person put's their hopes and future into anything besides Christ than that too would be a sin...... it comes down to what you put your faith in......Christ or a lottery. or a horse race. or a food or a drink.....anything that leads one to put something before Christ is a sin........and when you do have a scripture to state that then be rest assured that many people will be there to reword the scripture to benifit themselves..........we know what's right and wrong.......the word of God has been written in the hearts of everyone.....you must bless the man in the name of God and pray that he doesnt hurt himself or a family with the gambling........if that would be the case
Old 11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
PentecostalEvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevStevenMRobinson View Post
here is how i study it,,,,,,,, driving nails into the heads of Christ is something we all did since we are sinners.........it is not a sin to drive a nail into a wall to hang a framed picture nor is it a sin to frame a house for building. that being said. If one puts anything before Christ than yep........ it's a sin.
If a person put's their hopes and future into anything besides Christ than that too would be a sin...... it comes down to what you put your faith in......Christ or a lottery. or a horse race. or a food or a drink.....anything that leads one to put something before Christ is a sin........and when you do have a scripture to state that then be rest assured that many people will be there to reword the scripture to benifit themselves..........we know what's right and wrong.......the word of God has been written in the hearts of everyone.....you must bless the man in the name of God and pray that he doesnt hurt himself or a family with the gambling........if that would be the case
The person I am speaking of is faithful to his church, and family.

He attends church faithfully, pays his tithes faithfully, gives in offerings faithfully as he is led by the Holy Ghost, and provides for his family as is neccessary.

He plays the lottery only on a limmitted basis, spending a previously fixed amount per month on one multi play ticket, he does not purchase tickets each week whicha s he says would take away from church and family.

All of the points you have shared have been discussed with him by me, and others, still he asks for Biblical evidecne to absolutely prove playing the lottery is in fact sin.

Thus far none of his close personal Christian friends, or family members have been able to provide that evidence.

Personally regardless of how I 'personally' interpret the matter, since the individual is, in my own opinion, doing as I believe Gods word tells him to do, playing the lottery is NOT sin, unless I can come up with some sound scriptural evidence which specifically says gambling (playing the lottery) is sin.

Without that he's certainly not going to be convinced that it is.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Minister

seems to me that you (honestly) need to set some of your differances aside and edify each other.......not saying you dont mind you.....i have found though that sometimes we can get so locked up on things that are hard to prove that we can miss out on some of the better things in life. looks like your friend has a great head on their shoulders......so just edify them. and maybe ya'll can look in the scripture togather.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:19 PM