Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Gambling (sin?)

Old 08-23-2020, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Gambling (sin?)

Greetings PentecostalEvangelist,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PentecostalEvangelist View Post
In a sense I see your point, but it could just as easily be said that one might waste their money through unwise purchases of common merchandise.

I really don't believe Jesus was referring to gambling in the scriptures you provided.

I really believe Jesus was speaking about wise spending in general, and saving whenever and whereever possible.
Yes we need to be wise in our spending. I personally try to avoid gambling firstly because I was a compulsive gambler in my youth, and now because even if it is a little flutter it is an attempt to win, rather than the concept of labouring to earn a living. If I go to the Newsagent here in Australia, then most of the customers lined up are gambling on a lottery or similar. I do not mind the long delay as it helps the State Government which is paying my pension.

Kind regards
Trevor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-25-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Ok I need Biblical evidence that unquestionably states that Gambling is a sin.

I do not need or want opinions as to why anyone feels like Gambling is a sin, or opinions as to why anyone feels like Gambling is wrong, or what Gambling causes.

I know Gambling (in some cases not all) causes problems in some peoples lives, but even these things are NOT proof that Gambling is a sin SO.....

Scripture please (preferably New testament)...

Thanks ( need to show to family member)
Gambling in itself is not a sin. The intent of the person and what is in his/her heart is the sin. If the person gambles as a pastime or recreation, there is no sin involved. Sin becomes involved when the person’s intention is due to love or obsession of money. The love of winning the million dollar jackpot has led some to even commit other sins.

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-26-2020, 03:25 AM

Quote:
The person I am speaking of is faithful to his church, and family, , He plays the lottery only on a limmitted basis, spending a previously fixed amount per month on one multi play ticket, he does not purchase tickets each week which as he says would take away from church and family.
Whether or not godly living up to that point remains, it is now tampering with faith. Regardless of the invitation for both direct/indirect theft by deceiver and those deceived (if that wasn't bad enough), make no mistake, this contributes directly by all who willingly risk the just increase of another.
“, , men impatient of the monotony of daily toil, and who found in spiritual excitement at once a diversion from irksome duty and an excuse for its neglect.

To correct this morbid tendency was one reason of many for which the Apostle practiced manual labor. He tries to make these ill-conducted men feel by his own example the disgrace of living, without an effort, at the cost of others: Neither did we eat any man's bread for nothing; but worked with labor and travail night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you
(2 Thessalonians 3:8). - Findlay
The precept of work for return is given to us to be upheld. A bag of coin or a loaf of bread, or anything else that relinquishes ownership to “burden” another for nothing violates it.