Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > What does Mark 10:28 Mean?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM
antonio

Default What does Mark 10:28 Mean?

Quote:
In the Message__Mark 10:28Peter tried another angle: "We left everything and followed you."

29-31Jesus said, "Mark my words, no one who sacrifices house, brothers, sisters, mother, father, children, landówhateveróbecause of me and the Message will lose out. They'll get it all back, but multiplied many times in homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and landóbut also in troubles. And then the bonus of eternal life! This is once again the Great Reversal: Many who are first will end up last, and the last first."

In the King James Version Mark 10:28---28Peter tried another angle: "We left everything and followed you."
29-31Jesus said, "Mark my words, no one who sacrifices house, brothers, sisters, mother, father, children, landówhateveróbecause of me and the Message will lose out. They'll get it all back, but multiplied many times in homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and landóbut also in troubles. And then the bonus of eternal life! This is once again the Great Reversal: Many who are first will end up last, and the last first."
Jesus literally says that if one gives it all up, sacrifices everything for Him, they will get it back, in this life, multiplied including the problems that come with such things BUT they will also get eternal life.
What did Jesus mean here. Certainly, those that gave it all up and followed him are not reported to ever have gotten any riches or family and only got murdered. So, Jesus couldn't have meant the literal words or if He did then the ones we know of never really gave it up for him so they got nothing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Heneni

Default Re: What does Mark 10:28 Mean?

It means you give up your home and get to live in other peoples homes as you get chased from town to town until he comes back.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
antonio

Then Jesus had a great sense of humor. I think your right. I would have never thought of that. And knowing this gives clues to the meaning of other teachings. Who follows this teaching? As I said before in a question, Buddhist monks Check a pic when I was about 120 lbs. Could I go back to that.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 AM

Dear Antonio,

Jesus promised, wherever in the world his disciples go, they enjoy a relationship with fellow Christians that is closer and more precious than that enjoyed with natural family members. There is the satisfaction of knowing that they are doing what is approved by Jehovah God and his Son. Having their favor is worth more than anything else. Neither our friends nor our relatives can give us unfailing help, flawless guidance and everlasting life. But Jehovah God makes these things available to us through his Son. We also gain brothers, sisters, mothers and children in a spiritual sense.

Mark51,
Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 AM

The difference between having a carnal view point concerning ones personal commitment to Jesus verses a religious self centered viewpoint of how much you have given which should be recognized by God. Another view and a truth through out the O,T. God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Once you have "left something" be it homes, land or family members for the purpose of serving Jesus then you understand it easily enough.
What one should ask is why they HAVE not left anything to follow the Lord or why has it not cost you anything to follow the Lord?

And you do inherit the kingdom of God if you leave things in this world as the cost of following Jesus but most Christians do not have an understanding of "laying up treasures in Heaven" or even of Heaven itself so it means little to them.