Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > The Land was Promised to Abraham, not Heaven

Old 08-08-2020, 01:08 AM

Default The Land was Promised to Abraham, not Heaven

The Land was Promised to Abraham, not Heaven
The importance and connection of the Promises to Abraham to the One Gospel and the bearing of this upon the believer today is firstly stated in the following:
Galatians 3:6–7 (KJV): 6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
Verses 6 and 7 establishes that Abraham was justified by faith and those who share this faith of the One Gospel with Abraham will also be justified by faith and Paul calls these the children of Abraham. The above is based upon Genesis 15:6 where Abraham was promised a seed or descendant who would be his heir.
Genesis 15:4–6 (KJV): 4 And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. 5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Galatians 3:8–9 (KJV): 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the nations through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
Verse 8 further endorses this by stating that this One Gospel was preached to Abraham in the terms of the last phrase of the promises in Genesis 12:1-3:
Genesis 12:1–3 (KJV): 1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee: 2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: 3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
Verse 9 confirms that this blessing flows through to the believer of this One Gospel.

We have briefly considered two portions of the Promises to Abraham, Genesis 12:1-3 and Genesis 15:4-6 and both of these are well known. In summary we considered the blessing upon the believer in the One Gospel, that they are justified by faith in the One Gospel. The promises are further expanded in the following:
Genesis 13:14–15 (KJV): 14 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: 15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.
Abraham was promised the Land, as he was told to look north, south, east and west and that he and his seed or descendant would in the future inherit this Land.

Paul alludes to the Promises and explains who this “Seed” in Genesis 13:15 is, in the following:
Galatians 3:16 (KJV): Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
This is very specific, as Paul states that the descendant that is the subject of the promises is Christ, and thus both Abraham and Jesus are to inherit the Land.

Now if Abraham and Jesus are to inherit the Land mentioned in Genesis 13:14-15 we could ask how is this relevant to us. Paul answers this in the following:
Galatians 3:26–29 (KJV): 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Those that believe the One Gospel are incorporated into Christ, and become part of the Seed of Abraham and inheritors of the Land promised to Abraham. The promise of the Land is an important aspect of the One Gospel that was preached by Jesus and the Apostles. Abraham and the believers are promised the Land, not Heaven. The faithful who have died will be raised from the grave and together with the faithful now living today will inherit the Land when Jesus returns to establish the Kingdom upon the earth for the 1000 years.

This is consistent with the teaching of Jesus:
Matthew 5:1–5 (KJV): 1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: 2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

It will be the Kingdom of heaven, the Kingdom of God on earth Daniel 2:44, Acts 3:19-21, as it will be from heaven, not in heaven. The faithful will inherit the earth.

Kind regards
Trevor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: The Land was Promised to Abraham, not Heaven

What is the point exactly?

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:36 PM

TrevorL, are you referring to this earth or the new earth that is to come? And why would Jesus need to inherit land?

Last edited by Selene : 08-08-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:30 AM

Greetings Selene,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
TrevorL, are you referring to this earth or the new earth that is to come? And why would Jesus need to inherit land?
The new heaven and earth are the same heaven and earth, but under a new organisation, when Jesus returns to the earth to replace the present kingdoms of men with the Kingdom of God Daniel 2:44. Jesus is the Ruler, King of this Dominion or Kingdom. Consider Psalm 8 which speaks of Jesus.

Kind regards
Trevor
Old 08-09-2020, 06:49 AM
Knight of the Forum

THE CHRISTOLOGICAL DIMENSION

Here we see that “the Kingdom is not a thing, it is not a geographical dominion like worldly kingdoms. It is a person; it is he. On this interpretation, the term ‘Kingdom of God’ is itself a veiled Christology. By the way in which he speaks of the Kingdom of God, Jesus leads men to realize the overwhelming fact that in him God himself is present among them, that he is God’s presence.” (Pope Benedict, Jesus of Nazareth, Part 1)

THE IDEALISTIC/MYSTICAL DIMENSION

Here we see that The Kingdom of God resides in the heart of man. Church Father Origen wrote, “those who pray for the coming of the Kingdom of God pray without any doubt for the Kingdom of God that they contain in themselves, and they pray that this kingdom might bear fruit and attain its fullness.”

THE ECCLESIASTICAL DIMENSION

Here we see that the kingdom of God is in the here and now, present in and through the Church. Yet it is a mixed reality that will only be perfectly realized at the end of history. This current “mixed” state can be seen as the Church on earth which now grows in the field of the world with both weeds and wheat until the harvest when Christ says he will “tell the reapers, Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned. But gather the wheat into my barn” (Matt 13:30).

source

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 08-09-2020, 06:50 AM
Knight of the Forum

Old 08-09-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
Greetings Selene, The new heaven and earth are the same heaven and earth, but under a new organisation, when Jesus returns to the earth to replace the present kingdoms of men with the Kingdom of God Daniel 2:44. Jesus is the Ruler, King of this Dominion or Kingdom. Consider Psalm 8 which speaks of Jesus.

Kind regards
Trevor
I'm aware that many Christians interpret the "Kingdom of God" differently from other Christians. Some say it's a place while others say it's a government. Catholics believe that the Kingdom of God is a person. It is Christ. And because Christ lives within us, the Kingdom of God is also in us. When the Pharisees asked Christ about the Kingdom of God, He didn't describe it as a place, but as a person.

Luke 17:20-21 One day the Pharisees asked Jesus, “When will the Kingdom of God come?” Jesus replied, “The Kingdom of God can’t be detected by visible signs. You won’t be able to say, ‘Here it is!’ or ‘It’s over there!’ For the Kingdom of God is already among you.

It doesn't make sense for Christ to say that the Kingdom of God is among you if He was referring to an actual place or location. Catholics believe that Christ and His Kingdom are one and not separated.

God's promise to Abraham was already fulfilled. God promised that Abraham will be the "father of many nations" and that promise was already fulfilled (Genesis 17:5 and Romans 4:17-18). God promised Abraham that He will give his descendants a land flowing with milk and honey and that promise has already been fulfilled. The land flowing with milk and honey were the seven nations of Canaan, which God gave to the Israelites (Acts 13:17-19).
Old 08-09-2020, 11:41 PM

Greetings again Selene,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
I'm aware that many Christians interpret the "Kingdom of God" differently from other Christians. Some say it's a place while others say it's a government. Catholics believe that the Kingdom of God is a person. It is Christ.
I agree that Jesus is the centre of the Kingdom, as he is the King of the Kingdom. But many passages speak of the return of Jesus to establish the Kingdom. A sample of a few:
Luke 1:30–33 (KJV): 30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

2 Timothy 4:1,6–8 (KJV): 1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the living and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Daniel 2:44 (KJV): And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

Micah 4:1–8 (KJV): 1 But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. 2 And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 3 And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. 4 But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it. 5 For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever. 6 In that day, saith the LORD, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather her that is driven out, and her that I have afflicted; 7 And I will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast far off a strong nation: and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever. 8 And thou, O tower of the flock, the strong hold of the daughter of Zion, unto thee shall it come, even the first dominion; the kingdom shall come to the daughter of Jerusalem.

This passage is parallel with Isaiah 2:1-4 and Zechariah 14 and these depict the period of transition from the present to the Kingdom after the judgements of the Battle of Armageddon.

Kind regards
Trevor
Old 08-10-2020, 01:54 AM

I also believe that Jesus will return.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:14 AM
Knight of the Forum

Yes, Jesus will return