Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Baltimore archdiocese has ‘serious concerns’ about county Communion ban

Old 05-29-2020, 10:45 AM
Knight of the Forum

Arrow Baltimore archdiocese has ‘serious concerns’ about county Communion ban

Baltimore archdiocese has ‘serious concerns’ about county Communion ban
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/n...nion-ban-99055

Washington, D.C. Newsroom, May 27, 2020 / 06:02 pm MT (CNA).- The Archdiocese of Baltimore said it has “serious concerns” about public health guidance from Howard County, Maryland, which prohibits the reception of Communion as a condition for churches to reopen during the coronavirus pandemic.

“For the Catholic community, the reception of Communion is central to our faith lives and to our public worship,” said a statement from the archdiocese, released to CNA on Wednesday.

“Since learning of the concerns of Howard County officials, we have shared our guidelines for the distribution of Communion and express our own serious concerns about their recent guidance preventing Catholic churches in Howard County from distributing Communion.”

Howard County’s Executive Order #2020-09, published on May 26, outlines the conditions and regulations that must be met for non-essential businesses--which in Maryland includes churches and other houses of worship--to resume operations. The order was released by Howard County Executive Calvin Ball.

The order provides that “there shall be no consumption of food or beverage of any kind before, during, or after religious services, including food or beverage that would typically be consumed as part of a religious service.”

Since the consumption of the consecrated species at Mass, at least by the celebrant, is an integral part of the Eucharistic rite, the order effectively bans the licit celebration of Mass in the county.

The executive order was reported by CNA May 27.

The archdiocese said it is committed to ensuring churches reopen safely after closure amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The archdiocese has “developed thorough and carefully thought-out guidelines for resuming public Masses, including detailed guidance on the safe distribution of Communion.”

“These guidelines respect both the sanctity of the Sacrament and the need for abundant caution to protect the health and safety of both those receiving and distributing Communion,” the archdiocese said.

“While we recognize and value the urgent desire to guard the health and safety of local communities that is guiding the decisions of our government leaders, we are committed to engaging in dialogue with them to work together towards a policy going that balances the need for free expression of religious faith and the public’s health and safety interests.”

Baltimore’s Archbishop William Lori is well known for his advocacy on religious liberty issues, and was the inaugural and longtime chair of the U.S bishops’ conference ad hoc committee on religious freedom
........(SNIP)

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-01-2020, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Baltimore archdiocese has ‘serious concerns’ about county Communion ban

In my church, they are allowed to consume the Body of Christ, but not the blood because everyone drinks from the same chalice. The debate is whether the host should be received by tongue or by hand during the pandemic. Some bishops have banned their congregation from receiving the Body of Christ by tongue.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Baltimore archdiocese has ‘serious concerns’ about county Communion ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
In my church, they are allowed to consume the Body of Christ, but not the blood because everyone drinks from the same chalice. The debate is whether the host should be received by tongue or by hand during the pandemic. Some bishops have banned their congregation from receiving the Body of Christ by tongue.
Hopefully that is past now.

I was never a big fan of the wine anyways. They didn't even have that when I was growing up.

But I think it is wrong for a bishop to "ban" their congregation from receiving the Body of Christ by tongue. Do they even have the authority to do that?

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 06-02-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Hopefully that is past now.

I was never a big fan of the wine anyways. They didn't even have that when I was growing up.

But I think it is wrong for a bishop to "ban" their congregation from receiving the Body of Christ by tongue. Do they even have the authority to do that?
The canon law says that a Bishop cannot deny the congregation from receiving the Body of Christ by tongue. But the canon law also says that the Bishop has a responsibility to take into account the common good of the Church and to protect the rights and safety of others.

The USSCB didn't give any guidelines on the COVID-19 pandemic, but they had guidelines during the Influenza outbreak. The USCCB says that during the influenza pandemic, the Bishop has the ultimate authority.

Last edited by Selene : 06-02-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:00 PM

In my Church we take the Body in the hand and the Blood in little cups that get blessed and than our Priest pours it into the cups. We take the Blessed Eucharist at the kneeler and give the cup back to him and he reverently takes care of everything. We have five people so we could have met all along, even in Ca , but we started after Easter.
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:40 AM

This to will pass....the virus thing is starting to run out of steam. I am thankful, though it is bad, but at least it isn't anything like the pandemic at the turn of the 20th century. That was a bad one...just think if we went through something like they did now days. Not only death but our economy would of bottomed out.

Its very obvious to me, there was a tremendous amount of fear mongering with this virus...still is. I started wearing a mask to church and then I realized how insignificant it really is. A virus is very small....very. Those masks are not gonna keep them out if they are present. What is protecting your eyes? The mask will stop bacteria from penetrating but not a virus. Heck, I taught that in my 7th grade science....basic info on bacteria and virus....virus is 100 times small than a bacteria. You can only see them with an electron microscope. Bacteria can be seen with a microscope with a light.

After getting a stem cell transplant from my son (cancer) I have a compromised immune system. Am I wearing a mask...no. If I do, its a n95....still a weak solution but better than a surgical mask.

Small town, 5500 people. 1 Catholic Church...we have communion like we always have. But no liquid material is passed out. Our county has had no people with the virus.....we are fortunate.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:30 PM
Knight of the Forum

Now we know what to accept and what no to accept in terms of government orders if this happens again.