Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Who was Christs first disciple...

Old 07-14-2020, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Who was Christs first disciple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
So you don't think that Mary, knowing she carried the Son of God in her womb, would be considered his first real disciple? It took the apostles a long time to realize who he actually was. She know exactly who he was before he was even born.
Curious, how is it so heavily in Mary’s favor? They (M&J) both got the memo,
“, , you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus.”

(Luke 1:31)

“And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus”

(Matthew 1:21)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-2020, 02:37 PM

Luke records Mary not both and it was not St. Joseph that was chosen and Mary was called highly favored. Mary told people to do as He said. Yes The Blessed Theotokos was the very first Disciple of Christ if not Apotle
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger View Post
Luke records Mary not both and it was not St. Joseph that was chosen and Mary was called highly favored. Mary told people to do as He said. Yes The Blessed Theotokos was the very first Disciple of Christ if not Apotle
He was too chosen, chosen to be “the head” of Mary. So, what do you suggest we do with that which I cited in Matthew and now in 1 Cor 11:3? Is it just too small a matter to let it interrupt with our chosen course? I suggest not.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
He was too chosen, chosen to be “the head” of Mary. So, what do you suggest we do with that which I cited in Matthew and now in 1 Cor 11:3? Is it just too small a matter to let it interrupt with our chosen course? I suggest not.

He was not the God bearer nor was he around long. Using disparate verses to try and make your claim doesn't do any good. No matter how much you fight the goad it has been seen from earliest Christianity that the Blessed Mother was the first disciple of Christ.
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:24 AM

Pardon? Did you say I “disparate” for grounding that Joseph’s favor with God was never on par with that of Mary’s? Right, an angel appears to him and he never saw such favor, forgive me, I thought there might be something higher to consider. And for that, I am probably handed the accusation that I don’t honor Mary as I ought, as in what is clearly, totally seen!
Old 07-15-2020, 07:10 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
So you don't think that Mary, knowing she carried the Son of God in her womb, would be considered his first real disciple? It took the apostles a long time to realize who he actually was. She knew exactly who he was before he was even born.
Quote:
Curious, how is it so heavily in Mary’s favor? They (M&J) both got the memo
Common sense, that's how. Common sense and FACTS. Instead of engaging in some snied, thinly veiled anti-Catholic attack ("the memo") perhaps you should have considered to 100% factual nature of what I said. What I said was pure scriptural fact without a speck of opinion:

Mary DID know she was giving birth to the "son of the most high" (Luke 1:32) as the angel told her, and it DID take the apostles quite a while to realize who he was 30 years later.

Those are called facts. Your response was not.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 07-15-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:28 AM
Knight of the Forum

Oooookay, mellowed out now......

......."technically" speaking, a "disciple" is a "term is commonly applied to one who is learning any art or science from one distinguished by his accomplishments" (LINK)

So much for that. Anyone who thinks that Mary, and Joseph too, did not see and learn amazing things over the course of 30 years watching Jesus grow is nuts.

This is the difference between common sense and pryz's faulty Sola Scriptura approach to the Bible. Pulling out two verses means squat. Understanding the reality of thirty years spent watching the Son of God grow up in your household is reality.

It reminds me of the people who think that the study of scripture is how God meant for people to understand the faith. It totally ignores the reality that for at least a thousand and a half years there were no schools and no books for 99.9% of the population; almost everyone was illiterate. The utter stupidity in saying that God would expect study in an illiterate world with no books is beyond amazing.

Jesus established a church and chose men to teach, men guided and protected by the Holy Spirit. That's how the Bible says that Jesus meant it to be. That is the Catholic way.

The alternative? 500 years of hundreds of manmade denominations all with conflicting and contradictory doctrines, all claiming to have the right teachings. That is the protestant way.

Now, having said all that, here is one wayward brother (a Methodist) who actually gets it right: Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while:

Mary Was The First Disciple
https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/reso...first-disciple

.........It is unfortunate that Mary has been virtually ignored in our tradition. She has been pushed to the edges of the story of salvation. But the reality is that Mary plays a critical role in God's mission to save the world. Not only is she the one who bore God's son, she is also the one who nursed, mothered and raised Jesus.

Like any mother, Mary played an integral role in the life of the One who is saving the world from its sins. Had it not been for Mary, God's plans for Jesus, and you and me would have been very different. God chose wisely when he chose Mary.

Mary is the first disciple. Mary became a living channel of grace for the world. God became flesh and lived among us through Mary.

God’s mission became possible because of Mary's faith and her selfless participation. Because of Mary, we know that grace became flesh. Grace broke into history in the world God loves.

Finally, Mary is a model of the Church as the people of God who are called to be Christ-bearers in the world. Each baptized Christian is chosen and called by God to be like Mary. When we look at Mary we see that God wants Christ to grow and be seen in each of us. As Christ is born in your heart, you bear him in the world and offer him to others.

As Mary bore Christ into the world, we bear him in our hearts. And, like Mary, God comes to us with the assurance that “nothing is impossible with God” (Luke 1:37). Our fear and anxiety about the future are overcome. With God’s help, we live as Christ’s representatives in the world and Mary’s song becomes our song:

‘My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants forever.’

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 07-18-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Pardon? Did you say I “disparate” for grounding that Joseph’s favor with God was never on par with that of Mary’s? Right, an angel appears to him and he never saw such favor, forgive me, I thought there might be something higher to consider. And for that, I am probably handed the accusation that I don’t honor Mary as I ought, as in what is clearly, totally seen!

Never said that and you didn't read the post good. Mary was told point blank she was highly favored not St. Joseph, read your Bible it's in there. Also yes you used
disparate verses that are not related to try to make your point which is a weak one at that. I had an angel appear to me and many people have but that doesn't make us highly favored.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:31 PM

Obviously, you both underestimate my use of totally, like that of CC forgetting what happened as Christ grew up with them combined with your cultured hunch. Too much of this begins to add up, ,it’s a narrative that’s just too busy nurturing, so have at it.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:47 PM

Trying to disseminate what I just read. Clear cut fact that The Blessed Virgin Mary indeed was the first disciple of Jesus. Trying to nit pick various sources of the Bible to support one's theory on the matter doesn't get very far.

On another note.....can anyone share their thoughts on what vocation that men and women go into that WAS NOT created by man?