Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Journey to God

Old 01-26-2020, 09:46 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Journey to God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Not to be corny but the title of the website is the answer: True to Yourself. If someone thinks something is a sin, even if it is not, they are sinning by doing that thing. Likewise, if someone does not realize that a sin actually is a sin, God will take that into account. Violation of "conscience" is huge.

It is important to study and know right from wrong, and we all have different opinions on that score, but remember that not everyone is able to do so. Some people live in mud huts and have no books, or some folks cannot read & write so they cannot study, some live in horrible places that denies them access to information, or whatever... ....these people must respond to whatever light God gives them. By responding correctly to God's grace they may go to heaven.
Agreed. With that reasoning what could be the outcome for those who have the resources and the ability and capacity who for some reason or another did not make use of the opportunity given to them ?

ped
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
I am going by what John 15:5 says. Again how do we know we abide in Him and He abides in us ?

John 15:7 says If you abide in Me and My words abide in you...

At this point, we are told to have the words of Jesus and I believe reading the Holy Bible can help every Christian with that.

Let me pause here.

ped
Yes, it does! Colossians 3 is really quite a roadmap of how to and how not to accomplish that journey to God. I wouldn’t say that the work of “washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit” was meant only for that initial point of saving, but to accommodate our growth and mind that we are abiding in Him. For as John and Paul both details our inner confirmation,
The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life
One thing that came to mind for me this weekend concerning this journey was why has the Church lost it’s tenacity? It seems this has become the virtue. While I don't think I am at specific fault overall for not redeeming the time, sometimes I wonder if that call to live "quiet and peaceable lives" allows more lack of participation than we should?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
Yes, it does! Colossians 3 is really quite a roadmap of how to and how not to accomplish that journey to God. I wouldn’t say that the work of “washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit” was meant only for that initial point of saving, but to accommodate our growth and mind that we are abiding in Him. For as John and Paul both details our inner confirmation,
The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life
One thing that came to mind for me this weekend concerning this journey was why has the Church lost it’s tenacity? It seems this has become the virtue. While I don't think I am at specific fault overall for not redeeming the time, sometimes I wonder if that call to live "quiet and peaceable lives" allows more lack of participation than we should?

Agree. You mentioned "quiet and peaceable lives" which is found in 1 Timothy 2:2 which says to lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. Although if lived is not "passive "but actually " loud " in a sense.

ped
Old 01-27-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Eschator83, what I mean by" to God" is when we will see Him face to face, when we will have eternal life and live with God as He promised in the Bible. That could be in heaven, in paradise. In a place where He will not tell the people , depart from me you workers of iniquity. That could mean our Lord Jesus Christ have returned to earth and separated the sheep from the goats and have executed judgment.

The point is where people say they arrived or made it. The question is how they arrived , by what method ?

The place I am referring to is a place of everlasting bliss and not eternal torment.

ped
On one hand, St John reported (14:4) that our Lord Jesus told His Apostles "Where I am going you know the way," but St Thomas replied "Master, we do not know where You are going." Notice he said we, not I. But on the other hand, St Paul wrote (2 Cor 12:1f) "I know someone in Christ who...was caught up to the third Heaven..."
I cannot imagine how anyone or any group on earth can imagine it has all truth, even though I know John reported (14:26) that Jesus said "the Holy Spirit...will teach you everything..." Because Jesus didn't say when that teaching will be done, I have great hope for it to come, and faith that it will come, but I don't know if or when Thomas or Paul or anyone else got all truth.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:06 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
On one hand, St John reported (14:4) that our Lord Jesus told His Apostles "Where I am going you know the way," but St Thomas replied "Master, we do not know where You are going." Notice he said we, not I. But on the other hand, St Paul wrote (2 Cor 12:1f) "I know someone in Christ who...was caught up to the third Heaven..."
I cannot imagine how anyone or any group on earth can imagine it has all truth, even though I know John reported (14:26) that Jesus said "the Holy Spirit...will teach you everything..." Because Jesus didn't say when that teaching will be done, I have great hope for it to come, and faith that it will come, but I don't know if or when Thomas or Paul or anyone else got all truth.
Agree. I do not think anyone has all truth except Jesus Christ our Lord. But we know how to get to heaven or how we will be admitted there. According to our Lord Jesus, He is the way, the truth and the life , no one comes to the Father except through Him (Jesus). Jesus said those who obey and follow and teach His commands will have their rightful place in heaven ( I paraphrase). How can we obey ? answer: through His help also.

ped
Old 01-27-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
You speak as though we will one day come into a fulness not yet revealed, I believe this is laced with folly if that is what we have to look forward to. Because it won’t be anyone or any one group as you put it, but Christ in you.
But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. – Paul (Phl 3:7)
Do I understand you correctly as though the promise is not fully implemented? I try to maintain all I can and every avenue to put his examples of following the Christ into practical understanding and still have trouble maintaining some of these critical teachings that leads us to that divine Helper. Any effort to counter these have an end I personally don’t think will fare well at all to fault them.
Not that I have already attained (Phl 3:12)
Spoken by the one whom came into manifold revelations.

Last edited by pryz : 01-27-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Journey to God

Which way will give us better chances to God ? what does the Bible say ? what does your church believe ? will it be possible to discuss this without arguing ?
Let us see how far can we go .

ped
Welcome back! I am glad to see you!
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Eschator83, what I mean by" to God" is when we will see Him face to face, when we will have eternal life and live with God as He promised in the Bible. That could be in heaven, in paradise. In a place where He will not tell the people , depart from me you workers of iniquity. That could mean our Lord Jesus Christ have returned to earth and separated the sheep from the goats and have executed judgment.

The point is where people say they arrived or made it. The question is how they arrived , by what method ?

The place I am referring to is a place of everlasting bliss and not eternal torment.

ped
I do believe we will be in Heaven after a time of purging, whether instantly or for a time. I like how CS Lewis put it:

Quote:
"Of course I pray for the dead. The action is so spontaneous, so all but inevitable, that only the most compulsive theological case against it would deter me. And I hardly know how the rest of my prayers would survive if those for the dead were forbidden. At our age, the majority of those we love best are dead. What sort of intercourse with God could I have if what I love best were unmentionable to him?

I believe in Purgatory.

Mind you, the Reformers had good reasons for throwing doubt on the 'Romish doctrine concerning Purgatory' as that Romish doctrine had then become.....

The right view returns magnificently in Newman's DREAM. There, if I remember it rightly, the saved soul, at the very foot of the throne, begs to be taken away and cleansed. It cannot bear for a moment longer 'With its darkness to affront that light'. Religion has claimed Purgatory.

Our souls demand Purgatory, don't they? Would it not break the heart if God said to us, 'It is true, my son, that your breath smells and your rags drip with mud and slime, but we are charitable here and no one will upbraid you with these things, nor draw away from you. Enter into the joy'? Should we not reply, 'With submission, sir, and if there is no objection, I'd rather be cleaned first.' 'It may hurt, you know' - 'Even so, sir.'

I assume that the process of purification will normally involve suffering. Partly from tradition; partly because most real good that has been done me in this life has involved it. But I don't think the suffering is the purpose of the purgation. I can well believe that people neither much worse nor much better than I will suffer less than I or more. . . . The treatment given will be the one required, whether it hurts little or much.

My favourite image on this matter comes from the dentist's chair. I hope that when the tooth of life is drawn and I am 'coming round',' a voice will say, 'Rinse your mouth out with this.' This will be Purgatory. The rinsing may take longer than I can now imagine. The taste of this may be more fiery and astringent than my present sensibility could endure. But . . . it will [not] be disgusting and unhallowed."

Source: C.S. LEWIS ON PURGATORY
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Last edited by whitetiger : 01-28-2020 at 06:37 PM. Reason: forgot to put the source
Old 01-28-2020, 06:45 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Not to be corny but the title of the website is the answer: True to Yourself. If someone thinks something is a sin, even if it is not, they are sinning by doing that thing. Likewise, if someone does not realize that a sin actually is a sin, God will take that into account. Violation of "conscience" is huge.

It is important to study and know right from wrong, and we all have different opinions on that score, but remember that not everyone is able to do so. Some people live in mud huts and have no books, or some folks cannot read & write so they cannot study, some live in horrible places that denies them access to information, or whatever... ....these people must respond to whatever light God gives them. By responding correctly to God's grace they may go to heaven.
In my first response to Terry I agreed to his post but later I thought of trying to improve my response. Terry mentioned being true to yourself is the answer. I will suggest ourselves as being flawed. As Jeremiah said in Jeremiah 17:9 that our heart is deceitful and as Paul said in Romans that all have sinned. We need God to show us the way which He showed through the law, the sacrifices and the prophets and lastly through His Son and His Holy Spirit then through the apostles, the early disciples and the early church.

What we can see now are different denominations of Christianity, Everyone have reasons for their validity and if we can not settle these then we will have to wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Rather than look at the mote in other's eyes , our Lord Jesus told us to remove the log which are on our own eyes. This could mean looking at ourselves and correcting ourselves then perhaps we can say ourselves to be true to God.

This could be sanctification which is a lifetime journey.

ped
Old 01-28-2020, 06:48 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger View Post
Welcome back! I am glad to see you!
Thank you for your reception. May God help us in our fellowship.

ped

« Quotes-R-Us | - »