Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Crucifix Exodus 20:4

Old 11-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Crucifix Exodus 20:4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
Dear PastorFranszwa,

The purpose of the commandment is so that people will not make an idol and worship it as the Israelites had done with the golden calf. Worship of idols is found only in the heart where only God can see.

God did not totally forbid the making of statutes. In Numbers 21:9, God told Moses to make a statute of a brass serpent so that anyone who looks upon it will be healed from the snake bites. When the Israelites looked upon the statute, they were healed, but the healing power didn't come from the statute. It came from God. The statute only points to the power of God.

However, when the Israelites started worshiping the statute of the brass serpent, God destroyed it (See 2 Kings 18:4). Only God can see what is in the heart of a person. The worshiping of idols can only be found in the hearts of men. It is not found in statutes and images.

Furthermore, an idol is not only a statute or an image, Anything that is put first before God becomes an idol. In other words, if a person loves money more than God, then money becomes the idol. If a person puts his family before God, then the family becomes the idol. Christ said that those who love mother, father, children, or spouse more than Him is not worthy to become His disciple. God comes first before anyone else. Not even your spouse should come first before God.

The reason Catholics have statutes and images in their church buildings is the same reason why Christians have images of their families in their home and wallet. A man who looks at a photo of his wife and touches that photo with loving hands is not in love with the photo. He is in love with who the photo represents. That is why he lovingly touches the photo of his wife and cherishes it. The statutes and images of the saints, Jesus, and Mary in the Catholic Church are statues and images of our families. All the saints are our brothers and sisters, and Mary is our Mother. We don't worship the statutes and images. We honor the person whom they represent God alone is the only one we worship.

Death does not separate us from our Christian brothers and sisters who have passed away. When a Christian dies, he/she is still a Christian and one with Christ. All Christians are one with Christ including those who are in Heaven. Death does not take away your standing as a Christian nor does it separate us from them because all who believe in Christ are one in Christ and with Him.

Also, I wear a crucifix as a reminder of Christ's love for me. He loved me so much that He died for me.
Excellent post.I could not have said it better myself. Its great to see you post after so long a time. I hope you are doing well.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 PM

Hi CC,

Iím doing well, thank you. Yes, itís been a long time Iíve been on this forum board. Iíve been busy. I was on a pilgrimage in Rome. That was my first time in a European country. Rome is a beautiful place, but Iím not much into pasta. The Italians love pasta.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
Hi CC,

I’m doing well, thank you. Yes, it’s been a long time I’ve been on this forum board. I’ve been busy. I was on a pilgrimage in Rome. That was my first time in a European country. Rome is a beautiful place, but I’m not much into pasta. The Italians love pasta.
Rome! That's awesome. I am officially jealous. LOL

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 AM
Knight of the Forum

Related thread: Graven Images