Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > The Christian life

Old 05-16-2018, 05:27 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default The Christian life

The Christian life

This thread is about the Christian life from our own personal view and experience. How we deal with Christian life and retirement, or Christian life and engaging in hobbies. For example is it all about church life ?

Christians still go to parties like wedding, birthdays , etc. still drive car and experience daily life. Christians still go to amusement parks.

Is it all work and no play ? or all play or no work ?

How can we live a genuine Christian life and enjoy this world in a way pleasing to God.

Please share if you feel like sharing.

Extra: how do you live your Christian life while you have a long time illness or something ?

ped
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: The Christian life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
The Christian life

This thread is about the Christian life from our own personal view and experience. How we deal with Christian life and retirement, or Christian life and engaging in hobbies. For example is it all about church life ?

Christians still go to parties like wedding, birthdays , etc. still drive car and experience daily life. Christians still go to amusement parks.

How can we live a genuine Christian life and enjoy this world in a way pleasing to God.

Extra: how do you live your Christian life while you have a long time illness or something ?

ped
It still must come down to putting first things first according to God. In the flesh we are all dying, but in the Spirit of God we should be growing so in spite of physical age and tiredness we should be moving closer to God all of the time.

As to what we should or should not be doing in this world filled with the ways of men, what should our participation be?

Back in the beginning of the scriptures, we read this:

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

It was "very good", but man messed with things by disobeying the one thing he could and we as people have moved downward, away from God from there... This means that because of man's messing everything is not "very good" any more. But, if we use what we have been given as directed by God, everything we do will be very good. The apostle Paul writes this which should give us an important clue as to how we are to proceed:

"I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean." Rom 14:14

A simple question as what we should do from day to day, might be seen in this example. Should we drink a can of beer or a chilled glass of wine every afternoon in the heat of the day? Remember that it is not unclean unless we "esteem" it to unclean... Also on the specific remember this:

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;" Eph 5:18*

The question one might ask now is: What is "excess"? There may be cases where one can of beer or a single glass of wine might be excessive, but certainly in the usual case it will not be, so then if we do not "esteem" it to be unclean and in our case it is not excessive then are we OK?

Let's consider a couple of more things in this example:

"Abstain from all appearance of evil."*I Thess 5:22

And also the very next verse in Romans chapter 14:

"But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died." Rom 14:15*

If when we are choosing to drink our beer or wine we have a younger brother in the Lord who doesn't understand all of the above things and our drinking of an alcoholic beverage in front of him might cause him to stumble maybe we still will want to refrain taking that drink.

So complicated or so simple? Perhaps if we are able to hear the voice our Lord in our moment of doubt about taking that drink He will lead us in the right way. The requirement here should be only that we are His sheep. Are we?

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27

Last edited by Amadeus : 05-16-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Knight of the Forum

As to what we should or should not be doing in this world filled with the ways of men, what should our participation be?

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

It was "very good", but man messed with things by disobeying the one thing he could and we as people have moved downward, away from God from there... This means that because of man's messing everything is not "very good" any more. But, if we use what we have been given as directed by God, everything we do will be very good. The apostle Paul writes this which should give us an important clue as to how we are to proceed:

"I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean." Rom 14:14

A simple question as what we should do from day to day, might be seen in this example. Should we drink a can of beer or a chilled glass of wine every afternoon in the heat of the day? Remember that it is not unclean unless we "esteem" it to unclean... Also on the specific remember this:

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;" Eph 5:18*

The question one might ask now is: What is "excess"? There may be cases where one can of beer or a single glass of wine might be excessive, but certainly in the usual case it will not be, so then if we do not "esteem" it to be unclean and in our case it is not excessive then are we OK?

"But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died." Rom 14:15*

If when we are choosing to drink our beer or wine we have a younger brother in the Lord who doesn't understand all of the above things and our drinking of an alcoholic beverage in front of him might cause him to stumble maybe we still will want to refrain taking that drink.

So complicated or so simple? Perhaps if we are able to hear the voice our Lord in our moment of doubt about taking that drink He will lead us in the right way. The requirement here should be only that we are His sheep. Are we?

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27[/size][/quote]

QUOTE=Amadeus;209030][size="4"]It still must come down to putting first things first according to God. In the flesh we are all dying, but in the Spirit of God we should be growing so in spite of physical age and tiredness we should be moving closer to God all of the time.

I like this and i agree with this.

As I continue to grow perhaps i will be able to comment on the rest of your response but i will ponder this in my mind and heart.

ped
Old 05-16-2018, 11:14 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27[/size]
QUOTE=Amadeus;209030][size="4"]It still must come down to putting first things first according to God. In the flesh we are all dying, but in the Spirit of God we should be growing so in spite of physical age and tiredness we should be moving closer to God all of the time.

I like this and i agree with this.

As I continue to grow perhaps i will be able to comment on the rest of your response but i will ponder this in my mind and heart.

ped[/quote]

Ops i may have done something wrong, it looks Amadeus response became credited to me.

Amadeus (John) i apologize.

ped
Old 05-17-2018, 10:04 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Ops i may have done something wrong, it looks Amadeus response became credited to me.

Amadeus (John) i apologize.

ped
Give God the glory, Ped.
Good to see you!
Old 05-17-2018, 03:56 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Give God the glory, Ped.
Good to see you!
Thanks.

As i have been observing lately, our God is really gracious and merciful. He looks for hungry, broken , meek heart from people. He looks for repentant heart, needy ones, honest ,sincere hearts. If we don't have those , we can pray for heart tenderizer.

The opportunity for growth appears plentiful.

ped
Old 05-18-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
The Christian life

ped

Hello Ped, I find this question a bit odd from my view, I am not sure from your perspective verses mine what the actual difference would be being a Christian, defined as someone striving to be Christ-like each within their own capacity.
I don't see where there is a cut off or change in life style.

Now perhaps the confusion is what the definition of a Christian is which often seems to be a barrier.

What I mean by that is some live a life 24 hrs a day without giving a thought to always, giving all thanks to God, a natural event to pray often, naturally weighing what would Jesus say or do when making decisions and actually stopping, acknowledging and asking forgiveness when you screw up.

Others who would call themselves Christians might think that's extremism.

Yet other Christians could be defined as going to Church once in a while, own a bible maybe, never really study, etc.... . and they could be correct in some cases.

I truly believe, God does have a purpose for everyone and if you have been saved/confirmed salvation, the Holy Spirit will put you in the situation God intended providing you are striving to be Christ like (Christian) to your best individual ability/capability no matter how slight that may be.

Just a note to expand ( I think) on what Amadeus was pointing out, My father was addicted to salt, he would use 1 to 2 salt shakers a week. The doctors told him to stop, it was killing him, it eventually did/contributed. (that would be considered a sin for him) now me, I dislike the taste of salt, just a dash in a whole pot maybe, a shaker could last me a year. (no sin for me to use salt )

Dan

Last edited by iamdan : 05-18-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdan View Post

Hello Ped, I find this question a bit odd from my view, I am not sure from your perspective verses mine what the actual difference would be being a Christian, defined as someone striving to be Christ-like each within their own capacity.
I don't see where there is a cut off or change in life style.

Now perhaps the confusion is what the definition of a Christian is which often seems to be a barrier.

What I mean by that is some live a life 24 hrs a day without giving a thought to always, giving all thanks to God, a natural event to pray often, naturally weighing what would Jesus say or do when making decisions and actually stopping, acknowledging and asking forgiveness when you screw up.

Others who would call themselves Christians might think that's extremism.

Yet other Christians could be defined as going to Church once in a while, own a bible maybe, never really study, etc.... . and they could be correct in some cases.

I truly believe, God does have a purpose for everyone and if you have been saved/confirmed salvation, the Holy Spirit will put you in the situation God intended providing you are striving to be Christ like (Christian) to your best individual ability/capability no matter how slight that may be.

Just a note to expand ( I think) on what Amadeus was pointing out, My father was addicted to salt, he would use 1 to 2 salt shakers a week. The doctors told him to stop, it was killing him, it eventually did/contributed. (that would be considered a sin for him) now me, I dislike the taste of salt, just a dash in a whole pot maybe, a shaker could last me a year. (no sin for me to use salt )

Dan
Thanks Dan for sharing. This thread basically a sharing of each experience with Christianity and what people are willing to express. In human analogy as if we watch a movie and we are requested to tell what they think about it.

From the Bible we see the lives of Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and his sons. We see also the lives of Saul, David, Solomon. The lives of prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah, Elijah, Elisha. Not to forget Moses, Job etc. The lives of apostles, the writings of Paul, Luke, Peter, James and most of all the works, ways and words of our Lord Jesus.

Now in the 21st century, we the Christians now are invited by this thread, to expound on how the gospel affect their lives.

I am not sure if this clarify the thread in some way.

ped
Old 05-19-2018, 06:09 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Thanks Dan for sharing. This thread basically a sharing of each experience with Christianity and what people are willing to express. In human analogy as if we watch a movie and we are requested to tell what they think about it.

From the Bible we see the lives of Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and his sons. We see also the lives of Saul, David, Solomon. The lives of prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah, Elijah, Elisha. Not to forget Moses, Job etc. The lives of apostles, the writings of Paul, Luke, Peter, James and most of all the works, ways and words of our Lord Jesus.

Now in the 21st century, we the Christians now are invited by this thread, to expound on how the gospel affect their lives.

I am not sure if this clarify the thread in some way.

ped
Ped, for me God is my Life. I do quite a few things from day to day in spite of being fully retired from secular work going on 18 years. Everyday, seven day a week, I talk to my God and read the Bible. God is my Life. He is what I live for...

Twice a week I attend a service of worship and prayer in person with other believers, but I also belong to several Christian forums where I am active, not trying to convert people to my way, but hopefully to encourage and help whoever needs and desires it.

Twice a week I also meet with mostly retired people for a coffee chat at the place we share as apartment dwellers. It is surprising the opportunities God puts before us to let others see or hear what a really wondrous God He is.

At home, now for many years it is me and my wife alone. Our two children are grown and have families of their own. They stay in touch but mostly by phone these days. Our youngest grandchild has one year left in high school. But, while we may be already in the twilight time of our natural lives, there is still time to work the work of God and we do so.

In a couple of weeks we will drive from Oklahoma to Nebraska to see old friends in the Lord. It will be a joyful time. God is not finished with us yet.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Ped, for me God is my Life. I do quite a few things from day to day in spite of being fully retired from secular work going on 18 years. Everyday, seven day a week, I talk to my God and read the Bible. God is my Life. He is what I live for...

Twice a week I attend a service of worship and prayer in person with other believers, but I also belong to several Christian forums where I am active, not trying to convert people to my way, but hopefully to encourage and help whoever needs and desires it.

Twice a week I also meet with mostly retired people for a coffee chat at the place we share as apartment dwellers. It is surprising the opportunities God puts before us to let others see or hear what a really wondrous God He is.

At home, now for many years it is me and my wife alone. Our two children are grown and have families of their own. They stay in touch but mostly by phone these days. Our youngest grandchild has one year left in high school. But, while we may be already in the twilight time of our natural lives, there is still time to work the work of God and we do so.

In a couple of weeks we will drive from Oklahoma to Nebraska to see old friends in the Lord. It will be a joyful time. God is not finished with us yet.
Hello Amadeus, yes, I see you and I as much the same. Like you its not something I set a mind to do, but its a natural part of my life 24x7. As previously stated each their own capability.
But, like you, I am naturally drawn, and recognize leading of the Holy Spirit. Perhaps that makes it easier for us.

Very good to see you.

Dan

Last edited by iamdan : 05-19-2018 at 07:28 AM.