Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Them and Us

Old 01-09-2018, 04:26 AM

Default Them and Us

Surely, all of us at one time or another have spent a considerable amount considering another's state. Is that consideration something to neutralize within us?

Some of our smartest young people today are setting up camp to compare ourselves. Just wanted to see what you might think appropriate here, Thanks!
We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise.

(2 Corinthians 10:12)
Source

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Them and Us

Ever since we have eaten of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, we have wanted to look at others and see if we can judge the good and evil that we all know will be there. It makes us feel like God Himself to see these things in others and judge them one way or another. This may be one aspect of who God is, but without the kindness and compassion for the weaknesses of others such knowledge is dangerous indeed. Plus our lack of wisdom keeps us from even seeing the truth of a situation to the degree that God does if at all. Our sin nature tends to intrude upon any evaluation we make in evaluation of others, to good or ill.

All this being said as an overview of judging ourselves compared to others... looking at men and women of faith and admiring their good qualities and trying to be like them "in listed good qualities" is definitely a good thing, because even if we are not seeing the full picture or the full truth, we are still focusing on the good, so in that case, its great. But... when we look to the evil and make our judgements concerning it, if we are wrong even to a little degree, it and the whole process is wrong. Yet since there are many situations in scripture of people who are given a message of rebuke or call to evil or good on another, and that message is from the Lord, aka the Holy Spirit, then even a hurtful judgement is still good. So I conclude that even harder judgement on evil intent on others can still be good IF inspired by the Holy Spirit.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-10-2018, 01:10 AM
Suspended for Review

Although it might not seem so, I have no problem with anybody's walk with Christ here. In fact even with our resident atheists, I can identify Christ aspects in them that seek truth, are considerate and any good they do. All creation is through Christ so I have to accept all can be reached by Christ.
Even in debate I will not question a persons faith or walk.
If I see something that should be re evaluated, I point it out for discussion. I will ask questions.
I try to keep it to the points rather than the person. I can fail and I can be incorrect and I can stand corrected.
It has nothing to do with faith.
You guys are all believers. I have no doubt about that.
I can't divide anybody from Christ.
I can divide myself from everybody else and be liberal, or a friend of terrorists or hiding or contradictory or whatever things that discussion leads me to be.
But just like you guys, I can't be divided from Christ in my faith and love for Him.

As for the source, it seems an American specific secular thing mixed with faith. Making a them and us distinction.
I have to walk away from that. I don't hear Selwyn Duke as a shepherd.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAsh View Post
Although it might not seem so, I have no problem with anybody's walk with Christ here. In fact even with our resident atheists, I can identify Christ aspects in them that seek truth, are considerate and any good they do. All creation is through Christ so I have to accept all can be reached by Christ.
Even in debate I will not question a persons faith or walk.
If I see something that should be re evaluated, I point it out for discussion. I will ask questions.
I try to keep it to the points rather than the person. I can fail and I can be incorrect and I can stand corrected.
It has nothing to do with faith.
You guys are all believers. I have no doubt about that.
I can't divide anybody from Christ.
I can divide myself from everybody else and be liberal, or a friend of terrorists or hiding or contradictory or whatever things that discussion leads me to be.
But just like you guys, I can't be divided from Christ in my faith and love for Him.

As for the source, it seems an American specific secular thing mixed with faith. Making a them and us distinction.
Since Soulheart’s conclusion for the most successful, the most needful discernment rests so heavily on the Holy Spirit to which I would agree, I’m sure your union with Christ concurs with this?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:59 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
Since Soulheart’s conclusion for the most successful, the most needful discernment rests so heavily on the Holy Spirit to which I would agree, I’m sure your union with Christ concurs with this?
What we concur or don't concur is not important, if the most successful, most needful discernment were to rest so heavily on the Holy Spirit.

We are the vehicle He may or may not be speaking or discerning through.

13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:

There you go, judgement on another human being. Lets see how this conclusion came to be. Let us peek into your logic or faith or combination that allows you to give this man a bad intent no doubt due to some degree that he is a conservative despite you telling us over and over you are not a liberal idealist looking for faults in conservatism.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
What we concur or don't concur is not important, if the most successful, most needful discernment were to rest so heavily on the Holy Spirit.

We are the vehicle He may or may not be speaking or discerning through.

13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.
Since all the promises of God are yes and amen in Him, I guess I better step-up when the dinner bell rings. If He said those promises are, then I better ready up for what He has provided, not to make out that which isn’t consecutive to the amount of faith He has provided me.
I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think;
but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

(Romans 12:3)
Some will speak and act with full discernment according to their faith and some may not quite be ready at all. But most I would say have small faith enough to wield some discernment. We must assume our proper role in the household of faith and Amen to the promise of the Holy Spirit!

Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post

There you go, judgement on another human being. Lets see how this conclusion came to be. Let us peek into your logic or faith or combination that allows you to give this man a bad intent no doubt due to some degree that he is a conservative despite you telling us over and over you are not a liberal idealist looking for faults in conservatism.
I personally don't hear his voice as a shepherd was my comment.
You might wish to follow his line of reasoning as he writes supposedly with the Holy Spirit. It surprises me you actually took the time to read alllllll that he wrote.
It's quite a long commentary. Did you read it allllll?
Really, really, tell us Brad, did you really read it all?

Bad intent?
I also commented he wrote about them and us. Like this thread title suggests. Did you pick that up in his long commentary, yes, no?
Yes, no?

Many mix American culture and secular reasoning with faith. I have no problem with that or you following those voices. If that is the path the Holy Spirit takes you along, that's the path He takes you along. If that is where your love of Christ takes you. Fine!

You can believe whatever you want about me. Like I said, on the day of judgement I will personally seek you out and stand beside you. In front of Christ.
I will be the goat, beside you, the lamb.
You can tell him all about my supposed disdain for conservatism and love for liberalism and whatever accusations you love to throw at me that the Holy Spirit tells you about me. You can set me on fire mate!

Not that I am not already.

Sorry, I have to say, I don't hear your voice as any kind of shepherd either. I have to apologise even more to the Holy Spirit.
Lord have mercy!

Yes, these are the kind of things the Holy Spirit proudly proclaims:

Why Liberals Need to Look Down on Conservatives
By Selwyn Duke
A common theme among progressives is that conservatives aren't just wrong; they're dumb. Reagan was dumb. G.W. Bush was dumb. Trump is dumb. "Knuckle-dragger," "mouth-breather," "stupid," and "uncultured" are typical pejoratives hurled at conservatives, who apparently tend to live in trailer parks, require dental care, handle snakes, and marry first cousins. Why, I had a liberal actor (excuse the redundancy) tell me once that I wasn't necessarily bad, just not as "evolved" as he was. (I had a great retort at the ready, but I decided just to lash him with my tail instead.)

The bible is full of such commentaries, yes?
Jesus spoke like this all the time and the Apostles by the Holy Spirit testified to those things, yes?

Yeah me, I just walk away from such things, with you casting stones.

Just another question for you:

Matthew 23:15 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.

Do you think the teachers of the law and Pharisees were conservatives or liberals?
Old 01-11-2018, 01:01 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
Since all the promises of God are yes and amen in Him, I guess I better step-up when the dinner bell rings. If He said those promises are, then I better ready up for what He has provided, not to make out that which isn’t consecutive to the amount of faith He has provided me.
I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think;
but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

(Romans 12:3)
Some will speak and act with full discernment according to their faith and some may not quite be ready at all. But most I would say have small faith enough to wield some discernment. We must assume our proper role in the household of faith and Amen to the promise of the Holy Spirit!

I didn't pick those things up in Selwyn Duke's commentary.
Would you like to point that out in specific paragraphs?
Brad?

Just a few words from part of a paragraph would suffice.
For the love of Christ.

Have mercy on me Lord!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:12 AM

Why create another narrative; the quality of Shepherds? The point of the thread is over our resistance to comparisons, as outlined by the op verse and a well defined working order by Soulheart:
We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves, ,
Therefore, although Selwyn’s foremost claim to fame of the liberal/progressive man’s ego amounts to “god on earth” unwinds a paradox for the thread and caters to the wellbeing of our own subjection to the verse.