Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Did Jesus Love/Honor His Mother?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 PM
antonio

Default Did Jesus Love/Honor His Mother?

Why is it that Jesus never seemed to have a kind or gentle word for His mother?

The Gospels, generally, so sparse in the details about Jesus' personal feelings, took time to note He loved the rich young man and He loved the young disciple, John but it never said He loved His mother.

His estrangement from His mother started at an early age when He just disappeared in the "big city" to go off to a temple. He snapped at her at the wedding in Ca nae. I don't recall the verse but she was so desperate that she felt forced to send his "brothers" off to find him thinking He was ill. His response reflected nothing in the way of understanding the fear and apprehension she must have been going through. This incident reflected there was more than estrangement---He was never home. Also,in that regard, He said once, that wild animals have home but He had no place to lay His head.How could He believe that unless there was some powerful rent in their relationship?

What was going on here? If this was a young man of today, we'd quickly conclude there was something dysfunctional about the mother-son relationship. Wouldn't you think God could do better than us--I mean, He wrote the command, honor your mother? I don't recall seeing anything in the Bible that would indicate Jesus honored or loved His mother. Had she done something that alienated or embittered him towards her
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Did Jesus Love/Honor His Mother?

Jesus did care and love His mother,read John 19 verses 25-27 if He didnt love her or care for her he sure would not have done this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Daniel

hey antonio

I think Jesus had a ministry to fulfill so we do not see the way he was with his mother. I think though in the book of John Jesus honors his mother and shows hes Love for her when He says

19:26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
19:27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

I hope that helps

EDIT
Lol dwayne ya beat me to it
Old 03-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Knight of the Forum

thats ok my brother, the point is made.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Keturah

Amen There, both of you! LOL
I was about to write the same thing!

Jesus loved and honored his Mom, and made sure she would be cared for....
Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 PM
niteopearls

Why would this even become a question in ones mind ?

We know that Jesus' love for ALL of us..including His mother... surpasses our understanding and He demonstrated that love by shedding His blood on the cross. That..ofcourse...is the greatest demonstration of love that has even been.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM
antonio

Quote:
19:26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
19:27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
Wow! I didn't even think of this one. Even here, no mention of His love for his mother but only for John. And, it seemed He concluded His relationship with His mother by saying, "Woman, this is your son." As far as I know, the mother was not at his tomb, was not included in knowing of His resurrection nor did he ever appear to her according to the bible.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:37 AM

Christ treated Mary the same as other believers for His mother's own good. If He treated Mary as a real mother, Mary wouldn't accept Him as Savior nor as God. In 2 John we read about it. In 2 John 1:6 John told Mary about love and God's commands. Mary was advised to walk according to God's commandments. It's not difficult for Mary to do it, cause Jesus never let Mary know His real feeling as a son towards a mother. A mother can't submit herself to her own son, can she ? Jesus knew this difficulty, so He helped His mother by keeping a distance. I believe Jesus really loved Mary by doing this. He wanted Mary to be saved merely.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio View Post
Why is it that Jesus never seemed to have a kind or gentle word for His mother?

The Gospels, generally, so sparse in the details about Jesus' personal feelings, took time to note He loved the rich young man and He loved the young disciple, John but it never said He loved His mother.

His estrangement from His mother started at an early age when He just disappeared in the "big city" to go off to a temple. He snapped at her at the wedding in Ca nae. I don't recall the verse but she was so desperate that she felt forced to send his "brothers" off to find him thinking He was ill. His response reflected nothing in the way of understanding the fear and apprehension she must have been going through. This incident reflected there was more than estrangement---He was never home. Also,in that regard, He said once, that wild animals have home but He had no place to lay His head.How could He believe that unless there was some powerful rent in their relationship?

What was going on here? If this was a young man of today, we'd quickly conclude there was something dysfunctional about the mother-son relationship. Wouldn't you think God could do better than us--I mean, He wrote the command, honor your mother? I don't recall seeing anything in the Bible that would indicate Jesus honored or loved His mother. Had she done something that alienated or embittered him towards her
I think you misunderstand the relationship between Jesus and his mother. The gospels are not simple biographies of Jesus but theological books. John in particular is full of signs and symbols. He calls the miracles of Jesus signs. We have therefore to look at the theological significance of the various incidents.

Let me take the wedding at Cana. This is not just a report of a domestic incident but a deep theological statement.

Mary says “they have no wine” and Jesus responds in terms of his messianic mission “my hour has not yet come”. For Jesus wine signified the new wine of salvation. The prophet Amos said Yes, days are coming, says the Lord, when the ploughman shall overtake the reaper, and the vintager, him who sows the seed; the juice of grapes [wine] shall drip down the mountains, and all the hills shall run with it. (Amos 9:13) and then continues about the restoration of Israel.

Since this wine, the messianic deliverance, would flow only at the ,messianic hour (Jesus’ triumph on the cross) he says it has not come yet. But Mary knowing her son well puts her faith in him and tells the servants “Do whatever he tells you”. Jesus honours her request and provided wine in abundance. John says this was the first of Jesus signs (miracles).

Even the title Jesus uses for Mary is significant. “Woman” harks back to Genesis 3 when Eve is referred to as the woman. Mary is the new Eve. It also looks forward to Revelation 12 – the woman clothed with the sun.

The setting of the wedding feast is a messianic context. There are many references in the OT for this, for example:
As a young man marries a virgin, your Builder shall marry you; and as a bridegroom rejoices in his bride so shall your God rejoice in you. (Is 62:5)

Jesus himself says: The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son (Mt 22:2)

So in this incident at Cana we have four important symbols – the wedding feast, the woman, the hour, the abundance of wine.

The wedding feast at Cana is symbolic of the nuptial of the new covenant. Jesus begins to manifest his messianic role.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Again this is not a cosy domestic incident. Jesus is not tidying up a loose end. John is making a theological statement here.

Jesus is dying on the cross, he has great difficulty breathing and is in agony. If he wanted to make domestic arrangements for his mother he could have done that before. But in this Jesus is gifting his mother to John, the beloved disciple, who represents us all. Mary is given to all of us as out mother. We are all beloved disciples of Jesus.

As at Cana the title “Woman” is significant. And the timing is significant. This is Jesus’ “hour”, his victory is complete. The prophecy in Genesis 3:15 is fulfilled I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will strike at your head, while you strike at his heel.”

« Help? | Kudos! »