Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Advent: the Season of Forgotten Penitence

Old 12-10-2018, 06:24 AM
Knight of the Forum

Arrow Re: Advent: the Season of Forgotten Penitence

Good Advent book:

Joy to the World: How Christ’s Coming Changed Everything (and Still Does)
By Scott Hahn

QUOTE:
"What could be more familiar than the Christmas story—and yet what could be more extraordinary? The cast of characters is strange and exotic: shepherds and magicians, an emperor and a despot, angels, and a baby who is Almighty God. The strangeness calls for an explanation, and this book provides it by examining the characters and the story in light of the biblical and historical context. Bestselling author Scott Hahn who has written extensively on Scripture and the early Church, brings evidence to light, dispelling some of the mystery of the story. Yet Christmas is made familiar all over again by showing it to be a family story. Christmas, as it appears in the New Testament, is the story of a father, a mother, and a child—their relationships, their interactions, their principles, their individual lives, and their common life. To see the life of this “earthly trinity” is to gaze into heaven.
About the Author
Dr. Scott Hahn is the bestselling author of over forty titles, including The Lamb’s Supper and Reasons to Believe. Professor Hahn holds the Fr. Michael Scanlan Chair of Biblical Theology and the New Evangelization at Franciscan University of Steubenville, where he has taught since 1990. As Founder and President of the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology, he is Editor-in-Chief of Emmaus Road Publishing. His Emmaus Road titles include Understanding “Our Father,” Spirit and Life, Scripture Matters, Answering the New Atheism (co-author), and Catholic for a Reason Vols. I–IV (co-editor). He also serves as the McEssy Distinguished Visiting Professor of Biblical Theology at Mundelein Seminary. Dr. Hahn has six children and thirteen grandchildren. He lives in Steubenville, Ohio.
"

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Advent: the Season of Forgotten Penitence

Great posts, CC, many thanks-they were food for many thoughts, the first of which was I was pleased to see Rev Lins posting again, until I realized the date. Would you know if he's ok? and posting elsewhere? He was very devoted, and usually respectful.
Also, would you be willing to comment somewhere on Scott Hahn's books-maybe best in the section on Catholic culture, leisure?...can't remember exactly. He converted shortly before I started RCIA, and I enjoyed and reread Rome Sweet Home many times. But some of his later books raise some questions for me. I have 5 or 6. Most recently I finished Swear to God. Scott places strong emphasis on the concept that our Lord Jesus initiated the Sacraments (as does the CCC and many writers). But for most Sacraments he makes little or no effort to explain the concept of our Lord's initiation. Would you comment-here or in the other section. And will you someday explain why you encourage others to try to think of God as family? It seems hard, and neglectful of motherhood.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-2018, 06:37 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
Great posts, CC, many thanks-they were food for many thoughts, the first of which was I was pleased to see Rev Lins posting again, until I realized the date. Would you know if he's ok? and posting elsewhere? He was very devoted, and usually respectful.
Also, would you be willing to comment somewhere on Scott Hahn's books-maybe best in the section on Catholic culture, leisure?...can't remember exactly. He converted shortly before I started RCIA, and I enjoyed and reread Rome Sweet Home many times. But some of his later books raise some questions for me. I have 5 or 6. Most recently I finished Swear to God. Scott places strong emphasis on the concept that our Lord Jesus initiated the Sacraments (as does the CCC and many writers). But for most Sacraments he makes little or no effort to explain the concept of our Lord's initiation. Would you comment-here or in the other section. And will you someday explain why you encourage others to try to think of God as family? It seems hard, and neglectful of motherhood.
I don't know where Father L is. I don't log in very often anymore. If you ask me a question you might not get an answer for quite a while.

Scott Hahn's books are the best I think. Deep, and yet easy to read. If you have many questions I suggest going to the Catholic Answers forum, it is huge and very busy: https://forums.catholic.com/ You'll get lots of answers right away

As for God being Family, I doubt that I can explain it better than many others. St. John Paul II has stated: “God in His deepest mystery is not a solitude, but a family, since He has in Himself fatherhood, sonship, and the essence of the family, which is love.”

Check these out:
https://biblestudyforcatholics.com/h...-story-part-2/
The Trinity — Dr. Scott Hahn - The Official Site

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 12-22-2018, 06:38 PM
Knight of the Forum