Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Quotes-R-Us

Old 01-15-2020, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Quotes-R-Us

Somehow, today, abruptly, it strikes me that this is truly a great idea for not just a thread but it deserves to be a whole separate section, category, group (whatever you want to call them).
Congrats and many thanks to Pryz. Hopefully I will quickly formalize my suggestion of a new section for this thread, even though I know changes at this difficult time are unlikely.
I stumbled a few minutes ago onto this comment by the great Christian psychiatrist Carl Jung when he was asked if he believed in God, "I don't believe. I know. I know."
I found it in Scott Sparrow's excellent book I Am with You Always, taken from R Evans' book Dialogue with CG Jung, and I thought immediately of this thread. It's a great thread and I hope lots of us to be back here soon and often.
Also, I hope it's ok to comment/discuss/quibble about some of the quotes. I've been thinking also about rating some of them.

Last edited by eschator83 : 01-15-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-16-2020, 07:33 PM

When planning for posterity, we must remember that virtue is not hereditary.
Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
I hope it's ok to comment/discuss/quibble about some of the quotes. I've been thinking also about rating some of them.
How many times I have thought upon a thread-by-thread rating/response system, would serve to personalize the experience forthright. And by all means do comment, for it is not only a thread of quotes, but "us" as well.

You probably recall this one from again, A Tozer and his paradoxical Christian, ,
The Christian soon learns that if he would be victorious as a son of heaven among men on earth he must not follow the common pattern of mankind, but rather the contrary. That he may be safe he puts himself in jeopardy; he loses his life to save it and is in danger of losing it if he attempts to preserve it. He goes down to get up. If he refuses to go down he is already down, but when he starts down he is on his way up.

He is strongest when he is weakest and weakest when he is strong. Though poor he has the power to make others rich, but when he becomes rich his ability to enrich others vanishes. He has most after he has given most away and has least when he possesses most. He may be and often is highest when he feels lowest and most sinless when he is most conscious of sin. He is wisest when he knows that he knows not and knows least when he has acquired the greatest amount of knowledge. He sometimes does most by doing nothing and goes furthest when standing still. In heaviness he manages to rejoice and keeps his heart glad even in sorrow.
– A.W. Tozer, The Incredible Christian
Old 01-19-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
The Christian soon learns that if he would be victorious as a son of heaven among men on earth he must not follow the common pattern of mankind, but rather the contrary. That he may be safe he puts himself in jeopardy; he loses his life to save it and is in danger of losing it if he attempts to preserve it. He goes down to get up. If he refuses to go down he is already down, but when he starts down he is on his way up.

He is strongest when he is weakest and weakest when he is strong. Though poor he has the power to make others rich, but when he becomes rich his ability to enrich others vanishes. He has most after he has given most away and has least when he possesses most. He may be and often is highest when he feels lowest and most sinless when he is most conscious of sin. He is wisest when he knows that he knows not and knows least when he has acquired the greatest amount of knowledge. He sometimes does most by doing nothing and goes furthest when standing still. In heaviness he manages to rejoice and keeps his heart glad even in sorrow.
– A.W. Tozer, The Incredible Christian
Crickets? Nope, just everything necessary by the living Christ and the sword of the Holy Spirit! Beware, the wonder of the scoffer!
"But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things, , The goal is equality, , As it is written, “He who gathered much had nothing left over, and he who gathered little had no lack.”

(1 John 2:20, 2 Corinthians 8:14,15)
By golly, think I'm getting it now! Amen!

Old 01-19-2020, 09:34 AM
Knight of the Forum

Arrow Re: Quotes-R-Us

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
Crickets?
I can agree with that, especially, He is wisest when he knows that he knows not .
I think that fits in with how I approach the faith.

And this, he would be victorious as a son of heaven among men on earth he must not follow the common pattern of mankind
That is definitely for sure. One need only look around at how mankind has debased itself these days

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 01-19-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:02 PM

...in the maddening mass of things,
tossed by storm and flood,
to one fixed trust my Spirit clings;
I know that God is good.
from Whittier, The Eternal Goodness
Old 02-24-2020, 03:25 PM

The real problem of the Christian life comes where people do not usually look for it. It comes the very moment you wake up each morning. All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists in shoving them all back, and listening to that other voice...letting that other larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in.
CS Lewis, Mere Christianity