Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Does God still speaks to us today ?

Old 09-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Does God still speaks to us today ?

Does God still speaks to us today ?

Here is an excerp of the situation: One side says yes and the other says no.

From an internet source :

I heartily agree with this statement with regard to directives found in the revealed Word of God, the Bible. However, this is not all that Blackaby is getting at here. He has just spent 148 pages teaching us that God is still speaking today, that He is still giving detailed instructions today, and that He speaks through the church as well as through the Bible. A statement such as this, in the context of the teaching that God is speaking to us through the church and that we do not have the option to say no, sets people up to be manipulated and totally controlled by the church leadership. This may not be Blackaby's intent, but the potential is certainly there for someone to use his teaching in that manner, to get control over his followers.

end of quote.

what do you think God speaks to us today ?

ped

Last edited by ElpidioLGagolinan : 09-16-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-16-2015, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Does God still speaks to us today ?

Hi Ped

"Does God speak to us today"

We are told the Ministry of the Apostle has a succession, being handed down through the Church from Bishop to Bishop.
Therefore shouldn't we assume the other Ministries within the Church (Not just one Religious body) have also survived?

1Co 12:27,28
27) Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Eph 4:11-16
11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13) Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16) From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

We clearly see Teachers, Evangelists, Preachers and we readily accept them, but when it comes to Prophets, that is where we run into problems.

Someone comes along and says something they believe God has spoken to them and immediately he is jumped on from all sides.
We are to judge what has been said, not the one who said it, we are to judge Righteous judgement, but the way things are today, we judge the word by the Messenger, if he doesn't look right, sound right, then what he says is summarily discounted as false, being verbally beaten out of our presence
How can we ever expect to hear what God wants to say to us if, we do not respect those who God has sent?

Would we today accept John the Baptist, or Jesus, they surely do not fit the mold "WE" have set for God's Messengers do they?

So, the answer to your question Does God speak to us today.
How will we ever know if, we never listen to what might passably be a valid word from God.

JIM

Last edited by Lookinforacity : 09-16-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinforacity View Post

Hi Ped

"Does God speak to us today"

We are told the Ministry of the Apostle has a succession, being handed down through the Church from Bishop to Bishop.
Therefore shouldn't we assume the other Ministries within the Church (Not just one Religious body) have also survived?

1Co 12:27,28
27) Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Eph 4:11-16
11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13) Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16) From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

We clearly see Teachers, Evangelists, Preachers and we readily accept them, but when it comes to Prophets, that is where we run into problems.

Someone comes along and says something they believe God has spoken to them and immediately he is jumped on from all sides.
We are to judge what has been said, not the one who said it, we are to judge Righteous judgement, but the way things are today, we judge the word by the Messenger, if he doesn't look right, sound right, then what he says is summarily discounted as false, being verbally beaten out of our presence
How can we ever expect to hear what God wants to say to us if, we do not respect those who God has sent?

Would we today accept John the Baptist, or Jesus, they surely do not fit the mold "WE" have set for God's Messengers do they?

So, the answer to your question Does God speak to us today.
How will we ever know if, we never listen to what might passably be a valid word from God.

JIM

I agree Jim.

ped
Old 09-20-2015, 03:26 AM

God speaks to us all the time. Often through the word or the teachings of the church, but also directly to us. I'm not saying I'm a prophet, but if I feel overwhelmingly compelled to do something for someone or make a change in my life or behavior I feel its from God.

Do you not ever feel convicted Ped? What do you think conviction is. Although painful conviction is one of the tools used by the spirit to speak to us. I've had times in my life if not for the conviction of the spirit I would feel completely lost. He's called the good shepherd and we know Him by His voice.

I'm sorry. Maybe I don't understand the question in its entirety, but it seems really silly to me. I hope I didn't offend you Ped. My wife says I have a way with words. I say things that don't sound disrespectful in my head, but then I find out I'm acting insensitive.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:22 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedbyChrist View Post
God speaks to us all the time. Often through the word or the teachings of the church, but also directly to us. I'm not saying I'm a prophet, but if I feel overwhelmingly compelled to do something for someone or make a change in my life or behavior I feel its from God.

Do you not ever feel convicted Ped? What do you think conviction is. Although painful conviction is one of the tools used by the spirit to speak to us. I've had times in my life if not for the conviction of the spirit I would feel completely lost. He's called the good shepherd and we know Him by His voice.

I'm sorry. Maybe I don't understand the question in its entirety, but it seems really silly to me. I hope I didn't offend you Ped. My wife says I have a way with words. I say things that don't sound disrespectful in my head, but then I find out I'm acting insensitive.
The question really is not silly because there are seminary professors or even head of seminary institute or college who thinks God no longer talk to us today and calls people who do as mystics.

ped
Old 09-21-2015, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
The question really is not silly because there are seminary professors or even head of seminary institute or college who thinks God no longer talk to us today and calls people who do as mystics.

ped
So God doesn't speak to you then? Those professors are wrong Ped. I know from personal experience. I would say anyone who truly has the Holy Spirit hears God. You don't need a P.H.D to know if God speaks to you. I still think the question is silly, unless of course you are never convicted or led to serve, and then I would say you should really consider whether or not you truly are a child of God. A man without conviction is in a very dangerous place. I'm really surprised I am the only one saying this......

Last edited by LedbyChrist : 09-21-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:13 PM
Knight of the Forum

If we have "ears to hear" then we will hear and it is God that we hear through His Word by His Spirit.

"Who hath ears to hear, let him hear" Matt 13:9

"For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath." Matt 13:12

What we have [hath] is the "ears to hear", if we have them.
What is taken away from those who have not[hath not] is the Hope which we have in Jesus.

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17

The Word of God is not simply the dead words of any book, not even a Bible. Without the quickening of the Holy Spirit even the words of scripture remain dead:

"[God] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6
Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
If we have "ears to hear" then we will hear and it is God that we hear through His Word by His Spirit.

"Who hath ears to hear, let him hear" Matt 13:9

"For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath." Matt 13:12

What we have [hath] is the "ears to hear", if we have them.
What is taken away from those who have not[hath not] is the Hope which we have in Jesus.

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17

The Word of God is not simply the dead words of any book, not even a Bible. Without the quickening of the Holy Spirit even the words of scripture remain dead:

"[God] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6
John, the Word of God could be spoken, written and Incarnate (Jesus), that makes it alive in its various forms. The Holy Spirit illuminates the Word of God to selected (by God) individuals. From unbelievers point of view the Word of God does not mean anything because as the Bible says the unbelievers are spiritually dead.

ped
Old 09-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
John, the Word of God could be spoken, written and Incarnate (Jesus), that makes it alive in its various forms. The Holy Spirit illuminates the Word of God to selected (by God) individuals. From unbelievers point of view the Word of God does not mean anything because as the Bible says the unbelievers are spiritually dead.

ped
The Word of God doesn't even have to be in a human language. I was simply attempting to answer the Title question. Even unbelievers can hear God when He is calling them to Him. To that extent they have a glimmer of Life (so little that if it is not increased it is death indeed). Whether or not they choose to answer is another question.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
The Word of God doesn't even have to be in a human language. I was simply attempting to answer the Title question. Even unbelievers can hear God when He is calling them to Him. To that extent they have a glimmer of Life (so little that if it is not increased it is death indeed). Whether or not they choose to answer is another question.
Unfortunately, there is a Christian named John MacArthur who have high scholarship, preaches that God is done speaking to us today and any attempts to talk to God will earn one to be called a mystic as he called Henry Blackaby, author of Experiencing God.

ped