True2Ourselves Forums

True2Ourselves Forums (http://www.true2ourselves.com/forum/)
-   General Discussions (http://www.true2ourselves.com/forum/general-discussions/)
-   -   Does God still speaks to us today ? (http://www.true2ourselves.com/forum/general-discussions/10592-does-god-still-speaks-us-today.html)

ElpidioLGagolinan 09-16-2015 01:56 PM

Does God still speaks to us today ?

Does God still speaks to us today ?

Here is an excerp of the situation: One side says yes and the other says no.

From an internet source :

I heartily agree with this statement with regard to directives found in the revealed Word of God, the Bible. However, this is not all that Blackaby is getting at here. He has just spent 148 pages teaching us that God is still speaking today, that He is still giving detailed instructions today, and that He speaks through the church as well as through the Bible. A statement such as this, in the context of the teaching that God is speaking to us through the church and that we do not have the option to say no, sets people up to be manipulated and totally controlled by the church leadership. This may not be Blackaby's intent, but the potential is certainly there for someone to use his teaching in that manner, to get control over his followers.

end of quote.

what do you think God speaks to us today ?

ped

Lookinforacity 09-16-2015 03:55 PM

Re: Does God still speaks to us today ?

Hi Ped

"Does God speak to us today"

We are told the Ministry of the Apostle has a succession, being handed down through the Church from Bishop to Bishop.
Therefore shouldn't we assume the other Ministries within the Church (Not just one Religious body) have also survived?

1Co 12:27,28
27) Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Eph 4:11-16
11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13) Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16) From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

We clearly see Teachers, Evangelists, Preachers and we readily accept them, but when it comes to Prophets, that is where we run into problems.

Someone comes along and says something they believe God has spoken to them and immediately he is jumped on from all sides.
We are to judge what has been said, not the one who said it, we are to judge Righteous judgement, but the way things are today, we judge the word by the Messenger, if he doesn't look right, sound right, then what he says is summarily discounted as false, being verbally beaten out of our presence
How can we ever expect to hear what God wants to say to us if, we do not respect those who God has sent?

Would we today accept John the Baptist, or Jesus, they surely do not fit the mold "WE" have set for God's Messengers do they?

So, the answer to your question Does God speak to us today.
How will we ever know if, we never listen to what might passably be a valid word from God.

JIM

ElpidioLGagolinan 09-16-2015 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lookinforacity (Post 194360)

Hi Ped

"Does God speak to us today"

We are told the Ministry of the Apostle has a succession, being handed down through the Church from Bishop to Bishop.
Therefore shouldn't we assume the other Ministries within the Church (Not just one Religious body) have also survived?

1Co 12:27,28
27) Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Eph 4:11-16
11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13) Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16) From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

We clearly see Teachers, Evangelists, Preachers and we readily accept them, but when it comes to Prophets, that is where we run into problems.

Someone comes along and says something they believe God has spoken to them and immediately he is jumped on from all sides.
We are to judge what has been said, not the one who said it, we are to judge Righteous judgement, but the way things are today, we judge the word by the Messenger, if he doesn't look right, sound right, then what he says is summarily discounted as false, being verbally beaten out of our presence
How can we ever expect to hear what God wants to say to us if, we do not respect those who God has sent?

Would we today accept John the Baptist, or Jesus, they surely do not fit the mold "WE" have set for God's Messengers do they?

So, the answer to your question Does God speak to us today.
How will we ever know if, we never listen to what might passably be a valid word from God.

JIM

I agree Jim.

ped

LedbyChrist 09-20-2015 03:26 AM

God speaks to us all the time. Often through the word or the teachings of the church, but also directly to us. I'm not saying I'm a prophet, but if I feel overwhelmingly compelled to do something for someone or make a change in my life or behavior I feel its from God.

Do you not ever feel convicted Ped? What do you think conviction is. Although painful conviction is one of the tools used by the spirit to speak to us. I've had times in my life if not for the conviction of the spirit I would feel completely lost. He's called the good shepherd and we know Him by His voice.

I'm sorry. Maybe I don't understand the question in its entirety, but it seems really silly to me. I hope I didn't offend you Ped. My wife says I have a way with words. I say things that don't sound disrespectful in my head, but then I find out I'm acting insensitive.

ElpidioLGagolinan 09-21-2015 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedbyChrist (Post 194408)
God speaks to us all the time. Often through the word or the teachings of the church, but also directly to us. I'm not saying I'm a prophet, but if I feel overwhelmingly compelled to do something for someone or make a change in my life or behavior I feel its from God.

Do you not ever feel convicted Ped? What do you think conviction is. Although painful conviction is one of the tools used by the spirit to speak to us. I've had times in my life if not for the conviction of the spirit I would feel completely lost. He's called the good shepherd and we know Him by His voice.

I'm sorry. Maybe I don't understand the question in its entirety, but it seems really silly to me. I hope I didn't offend you Ped. My wife says I have a way with words. I say things that don't sound disrespectful in my head, but then I find out I'm acting insensitive.

The question really is not silly because there are seminary professors or even head of seminary institute or college who thinks God no longer talk to us today and calls people who do as mystics.

ped

LedbyChrist 09-21-2015 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan (Post 194416)
The question really is not silly because there are seminary professors or even head of seminary institute or college who thinks God no longer talk to us today and calls people who do as mystics.

ped

So God doesn't speak to you then? Those professors are wrong Ped. I know from personal experience. I would say anyone who truly has the Holy Spirit hears God. You don't need a P.H.D to know if God speaks to you. I still think the question is silly, unless of course you are never convicted or led to serve, and then I would say you should really consider whether or not you truly are a child of God. A man without conviction is in a very dangerous place. I'm really surprised I am the only one saying this......

LedbyChrist 09-21-2015 03:46 AM

Anyone who doesn't believe that God is speaking to them, yet still considers themselves a Christian, I would encourage those to do a study about why the veil was torn when Jesus was crucified. What is the point of having access if not to communicate with God?

ElpidioLGagolinan 09-21-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedbyChrist (Post 194418)
So God doesn't speak to you then? Those professors are wrong Ped. I know from personal experience. I would say anyone who truly has the Holy Spirit hears God. You don't need a P.H.D to know if God speaks to you. I still think the question is silly, unless of course you are never convicted or led to serve, and then I would say you should really consider whether or not you truly are a child of God. A man without conviction is in a very dangerous place. I'm really surprised I am the only one saying this......

I did not say God does not speak to us anymore. I came here as a participant not as a teacher. The thread is asking fellow members what they believe.

If you are aware of the "Strange Fire Conference" held on Oct. 2013. Those who believe that the spiritual gifts have ceased are basically warning those who believe that the spiritual gifts are still going on today. I came from both sides but presently attending and believing that we need the spiritual gifts more than ever therefore also believing that God speaks to us today. But we also need caution, because we could fabricate or imagine a conversation with God that is earthly or self serving.

ped

LedbyChrist 09-22-2015 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan (Post 194421)
I did not say God does not speak to us anymore. I came here as a participant not as a teacher. The thread is asking fellow members what they believe.

If you are aware of the "Strange Fire Conference" held on Oct. 2013. Those who believe that the spiritual gifts have ceased are basically warning those who believe that the spiritual gifts are still going on today. I came from both sides but presently attending and believing that we need the spiritual gifts more than ever therefore also believing that God speaks to us today. But we also need caution, because we could fabricate or imagine a conversation with God that is earthly or self serving.

ped

So do you receive conviction? Is that not a way for God to speak to us? Is conviction imaginary? I guess I don't have anything to add that would convince you. If we cant even believe our own convictions then what is the purpose of the Holy Spirit if not to communicate? I think you are missing the point by ignoring it.

ElpidioLGagolinan 09-22-2015 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedbyChrist (Post 194427)
So do you receive conviction? Is that not a way for God to speak to us? Is conviction imaginary? I guess I don't have anything to add that would convince you. If we cant even believe our own convictions then what is the purpose of the Holy Spirit if not to communicate? I think you are missing the point by ignoring it.

As I grow in my Christian faith, yes I do get some conviction, some encouragement. But I believe we have each one has different degree of assignment. I found that as I grow deeper in my relationship with the Lord
sometimes there are difficult stages and sometimes I feel that the Lord is carrying me.

As fellow Christians we need to pray to let the Holy Spirit produce fruit in our life.

By your words you seem to be quick on the trigger, but perhaps we do not know each other yet. I am in the point that I want to finish strong yet I am old etc, For example I am 62 years old, retired while you are younger and I do not know what stages you have went through in your Christian life.

anyway peace brother and for clarity ,yes i believe God speak to us today, as for conviction you are speaking about, i receive those and the result is to draw more closer to the Lord.

By the way communicating like this in the internet is not easy, it is easy to be misunderstood, and we have to be patient if we are waiting for answers.

ped