Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > General Discussions  > Does God still speaks to us today ?

Old 09-22-2015, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Does God still speaks to us today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
As I grow in my Christian faith, yes I do get some conviction, some encouragement. But I believe we have each one has different degree of assignment. I found that as I grow deeper in my relationship with the Lord
sometimes there are difficult stages and sometimes I feel that the Lord is carrying me.

As fellow Christians we need to pray to let the Holy Spirit produce fruit in our life.

By your words you seem to be quick on the trigger, but perhaps we do not know each other yet. I am in the point that I want to finish strong yet I am old etc, For example I am 62 years old, retired while you are younger and I do not know what stages you have went through in your Christian life.

anyway peace brother and for clarity ,yes i believe God speak to us today, as for conviction you are speaking about, i receive those and the result is to draw more closer to the Lord.

By the way communicating like this in the internet is not easy, it is easy to be misunderstood, and we have to be patient if we are waiting for answers.

ped
I apologize for being quick on the trigger. It seems like commonsense for a believer. S'pose I don't understand the question I guess.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:19 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedbyChrist View Post
I apologize for being quick on the trigger. It seems like commonsense for a believer. S'pose I don't understand the question I guess.
Apology accepted. By the way do you know John MacArthur ? if you know him you will know why I asked the question.

ped
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:23 AM

Ped I'm sorry I was so abrupt. It was wrong so I apologize.

If I may tell you about what happened to some really close friends of mine recently maybe it will give you some understanding as to why I was so quick on the trigger, even though its not a good excuse, so again I'm sorry.

A family that we are really close friends with called the other day with some news about what happened at their church. It seems a spiritual leader at that church (one that claims to be a prophet) told the daughter of our friend that God had told him that He wanted her to go into ministry. He didn't say what kind of ministry this 16 year old girl had to do, but all he said was that God was only going to give her three days to decide, and that if she didn't say yes then she would forever miss out on her chance, and that instead three other women were going to be blessed with this ministry instead.

Needless to say I was a mad that someone claiming to be a prophet would try and take advantage of a 16 year old girl. Who knows what he wants her to do. I have yet heard what happened. I was not able to give advice since it was my wife who had talked to them on the phone. I guess the only thing I can really do is pray about it. I believe if God wanted this 16 year old girl to go into some type of ministry, that He would let her know, and that He wouldn't give up on her.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:40 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Ped I'm sorry I was so abrupt. It was wrong so I apologize.

If I may tell you about what happened to some really close friends of mine recently maybe it will give you some understanding as to why I was so quick on the trigger, even though its not a good excuse, so again I'm sorry.

A family that we are really close friends with called the other day with some news about what happened at their church. It seems a spiritual leader at that church (one that claims to be a prophet) told the daughter of our friend that God had told him that He wanted her to go into ministry. He didn't say what kind of ministry this 16 year old girl had to do, but all he said was that God was only going to give her three days to decide, and that if she didn't say yes then she would forever miss out on her chance, and that instead three other women were going to be blessed with this ministry instead.

Needless to say I was a mad that someone claiming to be a prophet would try and take advantage of a 16 year old girl. Who knows what he wants her to do. I have yet heard what happened. I was not able to give advice since it was my wife who had talked to them on the phone. I guess the only thing I can really do is pray about it. I believe if God wanted this 16 year old girl to go into some type of ministry, that He would let her know, and that He wouldn't give up on her.
What happened to you is one of the examples why I brought up this thread. Some claim that God no longer speak today and seeming abuse like the one you mention about the young girl justifies that claim. While people who say that God still speaks, have valid reasons to say so. The prophet you mentioned will probably say God spoke to him and as I reread your response that is what he actually said.

I had to bring out this thread because a pastor named Henry Blackaby who believe that God still speaks today, is being called a mystic, and therefore false by John MacArthur who is probably one if not the best expository writer on the Bible.

Have you heard the terms "cessationist" and " continuationist " ?

ped

Last edited by ElpidioLGagolinan : 09-22-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Have you heard of the term "cessationist" and " continuanist " ?

ped
No actually I haven't. The name John MacArthur sounds familiar but I don't think I have read or heard anything about him.

I believe God speaks to us directly through the bible and the Holy Spirit. It would be hard for me to take any prophet seriously without some sort of confirmation personally from God.

This same girl I was talking about was really scared about three months back, because the church they were going to said the rapture was going to happen the 28th of september during the blood moon. She was afraid she wasn't going to heaven because this church teaches your not saved unless you have the gift of tongues. I'm not sure if the church they are currently going to is the same one they were going to months ago, but it brings up a red flag in my mind if it is. Why would you have a prophet say sept 28 the rapture will happen, and then have a prophet at the beginning of sept say this girl is being called into ministry by God?

In this day and age it would be really hard to discern a true prophet from a false one. There seems to be many many prophets and most of them are wrong with their predictions.

My question would be, if God still speaks through prophets, how would someone be able to recognize him with out a wait and see approach?
Old 09-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
No actually I haven't. The name John MacArthur sounds familiar but I don't think I have read or heard anything about him.

I believe God speaks to us directly through the bible and the Holy Spirit. It would be hard for me to take any prophet seriously without some sort of confirmation personally from God.

This same girl I was talking about was really scared about three months back, because the church they were going to said the rapture was going to happen the 28th of september during the blood moon. She was afraid she wasn't going to heaven because this church teaches your not saved unless you have the gift of tongues. I'm not sure if the church they are currently going to is the same one they were going to months ago, but it brings up a red flag in my mind if it is. Why would you have a prophet say sept 28 the rapture will happen, and then have a prophet at the beginning of sept say this girl is being called into ministry by God?

In this day and age it would be really hard to discern a true prophet from a false one. There seems to be many many prophets and most of them are wrong with their predictions.

My question would be, if God still speaks through prophets, how would someone be able to recognize him with out a wait and see approach?
On the blood moon you are talking about, in our church there are two people who mentioned it to me but nothing extra ordinary was attached to it. sort of guess work. some outside suggest financial related event.

Speaking of prophets, or people who have revelation of an special, specific, general event pertaining to individuals, places etc, I would handle it with prayer and caution. For example , a Christian told me to quit drinking my medications and at that time I have high blood pressure, gout and early sign of Parkinson's. I decided not to take his word.

Probably safe is to accept that God is God, He decides and answers prayers or reveals to His servants. Can we predict what God will do ?

God,our Father thy will be done, this we pray in Jesus name, Amen.

ped
Old 09-22-2015, 09:13 PM
Knight of the Forum

If we have "ears to hear" then we will hear and it is God that we hear through His Word by His Spirit.

"Who hath ears to hear, let him hear" Matt 13:9

"For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath." Matt 13:12

What we have [hath] is the "ears to hear", if we have them.
What is taken away from those who have not[hath not] is the Hope which we have in Jesus.

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17

The Word of God is not simply the dead words of any book, not even a Bible. Without the quickening of the Holy Spirit even the words of scripture remain dead:

"[God] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6
Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
If we have "ears to hear" then we will hear and it is God that we hear through His Word by His Spirit.

"Who hath ears to hear, let him hear" Matt 13:9

"For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath." Matt 13:12

What we have [hath] is the "ears to hear", if we have them.
What is taken away from those who have not[hath not] is the Hope which we have in Jesus.

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17

The Word of God is not simply the dead words of any book, not even a Bible. Without the quickening of the Holy Spirit even the words of scripture remain dead:

"[God] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6
John, the Word of God could be spoken, written and Incarnate (Jesus), that makes it alive in its various forms. The Holy Spirit illuminates the Word of God to selected (by God) individuals. From unbelievers point of view the Word of God does not mean anything because as the Bible says the unbelievers are spiritually dead.

ped
Old 09-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
John, the Word of God could be spoken, written and Incarnate (Jesus), that makes it alive in its various forms. The Holy Spirit illuminates the Word of God to selected (by God) individuals. From unbelievers point of view the Word of God does not mean anything because as the Bible says the unbelievers are spiritually dead.

ped
The Word of God doesn't even have to be in a human language. I was simply attempting to answer the Title question. Even unbelievers can hear God when He is calling them to Him. To that extent they have a glimmer of Life (so little that if it is not increased it is death indeed). Whether or not they choose to answer is another question.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
The Word of God doesn't even have to be in a human language. I was simply attempting to answer the Title question. Even unbelievers can hear God when He is calling them to Him. To that extent they have a glimmer of Life (so little that if it is not increased it is death indeed). Whether or not they choose to answer is another question.
Unfortunately, there is a Christian named John MacArthur who have high scholarship, preaches that God is done speaking to us today and any attempts to talk to God will earn one to be called a mystic as he called Henry Blackaby, author of Experiencing God.

ped