Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > The Round Table > General Discussions 2  > The Gates of Hell shall not prevail

Old 06-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Representative Clergy

Default The Gates of Hell shall not prevail

The Gates of Hades shall not prevail. Many people seem to interpret this verse to mean "the gates" as "the powers." But that is not the word--the word is gates or doors--i.e. the way in which one enters the gateway, i.e. sin and servitude to the self, the latter of which is Satan's only command, and by obeying it we become his servant and inherit death. Some people think of the Church as something that stands high up the hill waiting for the enemy to come get it. That is not the Lord's picture, however. The Lord's picture is that the Kingdom of heaven in spiritual warfare is not on defense, but on offence. There is a rush on Hades to battle it, and the Lord's army is at the very gates. That is what we are in in this current world--soldiers on the front lines. Only the front lines are not, as people think, the walls of the Kingdom fighting off an advancing hades, but rather the gates of hades fighting the only remaining battle ground. It is not a battle ground because God is inept, but because the souls of men still choose it for their home. Furthermore, some men choose it as their "summer home," seeking to live in two different kingdoms at the same time. Satan is bound in Hades but the problem is that people leave their hearts in Hades, and home is where the heart is. The evil one fires his darts and they can reach us because we are on the front lines, at the gates. If we have put on righteousness in the Spirit we have nothing to fear, our armor, sheild and sword are invincible. But if our hearts are already in the gates and we have yielded the armament and even the fight because we have a divided or even surrendered allegiance to Hades...

Last edited by Linsinbigler : 06-12-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: The Gates of Hell shall not prevail

As I am reading your words here, I have a mental image of an old graphic depiction of Hell behind a wrought iron fence with a red demon complete with tail and horns standing at the gate with his hordes of demons behind him waiting to burst forth.

And it is the image of the "gate" that I settle on. Iron bars running up and down, gaps between them, large padlock and chain to hold it closed. And Psalm 18 comes to mind: (Darby) 3 I will call upon Jehovah, who is to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. The bands of death encompassed me, and torrents of Belial made me afraid. The bands of Sheol surrounded me, the cords of death encountered me.

Is not the "gate of Hell" the bands of death that held us captive until Christ's resurrection? I see that we are still poking at the "binding and losing" and Peter's keys here as well. It is the resurrection that breaks the strong hold of Satan, that knocks down the gates of hell and sets the captives free from death to life. In becoming one with Christ, we to are able to bind sin and death or to set captives free. Peter held the key to this gate as the first to run into the empty tomb and see that the underground's hold was broken. He was the first witness to the resurrection story and we now also serve as witness through our faith.

And back I go to Psalm 18: 34 Who teacheth my hands to war, and mine arms bend a bow of brass; And thou didst give me the shield of thy salvation, and thy right hand held me up; and thy condescending gentleness hath made me great. Thou didst enlarge my steps under me, and mine ankles have not wavered. I pursued mine enemies, and overtook them; and I turned not again till they were consumed. I crushed them, and they were not able to rise: they fell under my feet. And thou girdedst me with strength to battle; thou didst subdue under me those that rose up against me. And mine enemies didst thou make to turn their backs unto me, and those that hated me I destroyed.

No, Father, we do not stand guard in defense. We are soldiers of offense in more ways then one.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Representative Clergy

Dear Peggy, if that is the image you have as you read my words I need to send you more online icons It is hard not to think "concretely" when using "normal" terms. I have cleared up some of the obscurities in the original post. I should expand that there is a distinction between gate and gateway. The gates of hell have been plundered, but still lay plundered beneath the gateway (again, try not to think too concretely), as we seen in the icon of the Resurrection. The gateway has always been sin (bear with me, as I have been low on sleep for the last few days). In reading this keep in mind what sin is (as opposed to a common modern reckoning) and keep in mind what Hades is. But we find in Scripture that "the gates of death" is synonymous with "the gates of hades," then they are synonymous, which means that both simply mean "the entryway of death" which is sin (i.e. non-synergeia with divine grace--the "incomplete"). If the pylai hadou are also the gates of death, then death itself cannot be those gates. However, you are dead on, in that the pylai hadou were trampled by Christ in the Resurrection. Therefore, the gates are laid low. There is no one who is kept in that does not choose to be. The army stands at the gates, but the entryway is opened and the gates are laid bare, not keeping the army out. However, there is still the battle there, not because Christ has not overcome, but because men keep placing their hearts there instead of under his reign, and they must make the choice to come out from death and into the Lord's holiness singing the hymn of victory: "O death, where is your sting"?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
Dear Peggy, if that is the image you have as you read my words I need to send you more online icons It is hard not to think "concretely" when using "normal" terms.
Sorry, Father, I was grinning as I wrote that as I clearly recognized it as the teaching of the Bible Belt Church I worshiped in for awhile. Hell was seen as a literal place with those gates to keep you locked in if you died in sin and the sulpher and brimstone were really gonna burn you up and make you scream. While I personally now longer see "hell" this way, I'm sure there are many here who do perceive of hell as a concrete place that waits to ensnare us. But I'd love some icons!
Quote:
I have cleared up some of the obscurities in the original post. I should expand that there is a distinction between gate and gateway. The gates of hell have been plundered, but still lay plundered beneath the gateway (again, try not to think too concretely), as we seen in the icon of the Resurrection. The gateway has always been sin (bear with me, as I have been low on sleep for the last few days). In reading this keep in mind what sin is (as opposed to a common modern reckoning) and keep in mind what Hades is. But we find in Scripture that "the gates of death" is synonymous with "the gates of hades," then they are synonymous, which means that both simply mean "the entryway of death" which is sin (i.e. non-synergeia with divine grace--the "incomplete"). If the pylai hadou are also the gates of death, then death itself cannot be those gates.

However, you are dead on, in that the pylai hadou were trampled by Christ in the Resurrection. Therefore, the gates are laid low. There is no one who is kept in that does not choose to be. The army stands at the gates, but the entryway is opened and the gates are laid bare, not keeping the army out. However, there is still the battle there, not because Christ has not overcome, but because men keep placing their hearts there instead of under his reign, and they must make the choice to come out from death and into the Lord's holiness singing the hymn of victory: "O death, where is your sting"?
Tell me, Father, is this one of the reasons for prayers for the dead? That they may chose to come out? And binding and losing would apply here?

Need more coffee.....
Old 06-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Knight of the Forum

Okay, I've had a little nappy and there's another gate I'd like to ask about that I see standing open also and in juxtaposition to the gates of Hell. Metanoia: the gateway to oneself, to one's fellowman, and to heaven.

Can we touch on that here or should that be another thread?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
The Gates of Hades shall not prevail. Many people seem to interpret this verse to mean "the gates" as "the powers." But that is not the word--the word is gates or doors--i.e. the way in which one enters the gateway, i.e. sin and servitude to the self, the latter of which is Satan's only command, and by obeying it we become his servant and inherit death. Some people think of the Church as something that stands high up the hill waiting for the enemy to come get it. That is not the Lord's picture, however. The Lord's picture is that the Kingdom of heaven in spiritual warfare is not on defense, but on offence. There is a rush on Hades to battle it, and the Lord's army is at the very gates. That is what we are in in this current world--soldiers on the front lines. Only the front lines are not, as people think, the walls of the Kingdom fighting off an advancing hades, but rather the gates of hades fighting the only remaining battle ground. It is not a battle ground because God is inept, but because the souls of men still choose it for their home. Furthermore, some men choose it as their "summer home," seeking to live in two different kingdoms at the same time. Satan is bound in Hades but the problem is that people leave their hearts in Hades, and home is where the heart is. The evil one fires his darts and they can reach us because we are on the front lines, at the gates. If we have put on righteousness in the Spirit we have nothing to fear, our armor, shield and sword are invincible. But if our hearts are already in the gates and we have yielded the armament and even the fight because we have a divided or even surrendered allegiance to Hades...
Well my friend i hope you don't mind if I throw in a few thought in on this one. To me the gates are the gates of learning and no man enters those gates less he hears the Lords voice. The priest or teacher of God can open that door if he chooses . If a man's heart is full of truth he can open that door. His mouth is the door. When you are at that level of understanding it is impossible for the teachings of death or hell to prevail against you. Then you are in the true church of Jesus. For people that do not understand this , then is is when you hear Jesus say as he did to one of the church's , I hold the keys to hell and hades. When you have the fulfilment of the word in your understanding you see the righteousness of God and that is you armour and now children of Satan can penetrate that.

You being a priest, have your own children in church and as you send them out into the world, if they teach the sword they are like arrows but the enemies children are like fiery darts and your own teachings are like hot coals you throw on the head of the enemy.

Ther is a thing I find about prevail, it is when the vail is lifted it can never be vailed again.

Last edited by colin : 06-18-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Representative Clergy

Good post Colin. Good also that you made mention of the one who holds the key to death and Hades and the Lord locking and unlocking. Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFinishedYet View Post
Okay, I've had a little nappy and there's another gate I'd like to ask about that I see standing open also and in juxtaposition to the gates of Hell. Metanoia: the gateway to oneself, to one's fellowman, and to heaven.

Can we touch on that here or should that be another thread?
Indeed, Metanoia (repentence) is an important subject as a gateway. Right now I am little on the beat side, I had a big day, but will leave this for others to comment on and hopefully return to it shortly.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Josiah

Quote:
The Gates of Hades shall not prevail. Many people seem to interpret this verse to mean "the gates" as "the powers." But that is not the word--the word is gates or doors--i.e. the way in which one enters the gateway, i.e. sin and servitude to the self, the latter of which is Satan's only command, and by obeying it we become his servant and inherit death. Some people think of the Church as something that stands high up the hill waiting for the enemy to come get it. That is not the Lord's picture, however. The Lord's picture is that the Kingdom of heaven in spiritual warfare is not on defense, but on offence. There is a rush on Hades to battle it, and the Lord's army is at the very gates. That is what we are in in this current world--soldiers on the front lines. Only the front lines are not, as people think, the walls of the Kingdom fighting off an advancing hades, but rather the gates of hades fighting the only remaining battle ground. It is not a battle ground because God is inept, but because the souls of men still choose it for their home. Furthermore, some men choose it as their "summer home," seeking to live in two different kingdoms at the same time. Satan is bound in Hades but the problem is that people leave their hearts in Hades, and home is where the heart is. The evil one fires his darts and they can reach us because we are on the front lines, at the gates. If we have put on righteousness in the Spirit we have nothing to fear, our armor, sheild and sword are invincible. But if our hearts are already in the gates and we have yielded the armament and even the fight because we have a divided or even surrendered allegiance to Hades...

VERY well said, thank you!

When I've heard this passage quoted, it's always the opposite: That gates are OFFENSIVE so that the darts of Satan will not prevail (typically over a particular denomination, suggesting that if that denomination exists, it MUST be especially, uniquely, specifically protected and blessed by God).

Doors are DEFENSIVE. The picture is clearly that Satan is quivering, hiding behind locked doors, but his doors will not prevail.

BTW, I've not only heard the RC interpretation of this (the promise that nothing will defeat the RC) and yours (which I agree with), but also that it's "Gates of Hades" - meaning death, so that the issue is that DEATH will be defeated by Christianity and the Gospel. Hum....

Thank you.

Blessings, Father.

Last edited by Josiah : 10-18-2010 at 02:47 PM.