Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Alan Shepard

Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Suspended for Review

Default Alan Shepard

Fifty years to the day when he became the first American in space. If anyone is interested in the story of the early days of the space race then get hold of The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe. Excellent...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Alan Shepard

It makes me sad. Fifty years ago we were reaching for the stars. Today we are sinking into the gutter. Fifty years ago we had a massively expanding economy and obtained superpower status. Today we have a collapsing economy and are losing superpower status.

It makes a real American want to weep.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Suspended for Review

MAJOR ECONOMIC INDICATORS
Consumer Price Index
April 15, 2014
On a seasonally adjusted basis, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 0.2 percent in March after rising 0.1 percent in February. The index for all items less food and energy also rose 0.2 percent in March after increasing 0.1 percent in February. Full text: (HTML) (PDF)

Employment Cost Index
April 30, 2014
Compensation costs up 0.3 percent for civilian workers, seasonally adjusted, from December 2013-March 2014. Over the year, compensation rose 1.8 percent, wages and salaries rose 1.6 percent, and benefits rose 2.1 percent. Full text: (HTML) (PDF)

Employment Situation
May 02, 2014
Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 288,000, and the unemployment rate fell by 0.4 percentage point to 6.3 percent in April. Employment gains were widespread. Full text: (HTML) (PDF)

Producer Price Index
April 11, 2014
The Producer Price Index for final demand advanced 0.5 percent in March. This increase followed a decline of 0.1 percent in February and a rise of 0.2 percent in January. In March, the index for final demand services rose 0.7 percent and prices for final demand goods were unchanged. Full text: (HTML) (PDF)

Productivity and Costs
March 06, 2014
Productivity increased 1.8 percent in the nonfarm business sector in the fourth quarter of 2013; unit labor costs decreased 0.1 percent (seasonally adjusted annual rates). In manufacturing, productivity increased 1.3 percent and unit labor costs decreased 0.1 percent. Full text: (HTML) (PDF)

Economic News Releases
Old 05-05-2014, 06:48 AM
Knight of the Forum

^ Short-sighted statistics that liberals use for their smoke and mirror show. Look at the big picture, growth and power and GDP from 1950 to 2014. Also, your stats say nothing about the sword that's getting close to chopping of all our heads, the 16 Trillion dollar debt. Collapse is imminent, as as we go, so will you.

What I said was exactly correct: "Fifty years ago we were reaching for the stars. Today we are sinking into the gutter. Fifty years ago we had a massively expanding economy and obtained superpower status. Today we have a collapsing economy and are losing superpower status"

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAsh View Post
MAJOR ECONOMIC INDICATORS
Consumer Price Index
April 15, 2014
On a seasonally adjusted basis, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 0.2 percent in March after rising 0.1 percent in February. The index for all items less food and energy also rose 0.2 percent in March after increasing 0.1 percent in February. Full text: (HTML) (PDF)

Employment Cost Index
April 30, 2014
Compensation costs up 0.3 percent for civilian workers, seasonally adjusted, from December 2013-March 2014. Over the year, compensation rose 1.8 percent, wages and salaries rose 1.6 percent, and benefits rose 2.1 percent. Full text: (HTML) (PDF)

Employment Situation
May 02, 2014
Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 288,000, and the unemployment rate fell by 0.4 percentage point to 6.3 percent in April. Employment gains were widespread. Full text: (HTML) (PDF)

Producer Price Index
April 11, 2014
The Producer Price Index for final demand advanced 0.5 percent in March. This increase followed a decline of 0.1 percent in February and a rise of 0.2 percent in January. In March, the index for final demand services rose 0.7 percent and prices for final demand goods were unchanged. Full text: (HTML) (PDF)

Productivity and Costs
March 06, 2014
Productivity increased 1.8 percent in the nonfarm business sector in the fourth quarter of 2013; unit labor costs decreased 0.1 percent (seasonally adjusted annual rates). In manufacturing, productivity increased 1.3 percent and unit labor costs decreased 0.1 percent. Full text: (HTML) (PDF)

Economic News Releases
United States Economy at a Glance

The Bureau of Labor Statistics

Mission
The Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor is the principal Federal agency responsible for measuring labor market activity, working conditions, and price changes in the economy. Its mission is to collect, analyze, and disseminate essential economic information to support public and private decision-making. As an independent statistical agency, BLS serves its diverse user communities by providing products and services that are objective, timely, accurate, and relevant.

Vision
The Bureau of Labor Statistics will meet the information needs of a rapidly changing U.S. and global economy by continuously improving its products and services, investing in its work force, and modernizing its business processes.

BLS History
The Bureau of Labor Statistics has provided essential economic information to support public and private decision-making since 1884. Learn about past BLS milestones, anniversaries, and commissioners.

Last edited by CinderAsh : 05-05-2014 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Emphasise independent body (not liberal) since 1884 and emphasise objective, timely, accurate, and relevant not smoke and mirrors. The statistics show a growing economy not collapsing.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 AM
Knight of the Forum

^ Short-sighted statistics that liberals use for their smoke and mirror show. Look at the big picture, growth and power and GDP from 1950 to 2014. Also, your stats say nothing about the sword that's getting close to chopping of all our heads, the 16 Trillion dollar debt. Collapse is imminent, as as we go, so will you.

What I said was exactly correct: "Fifty years ago we were reaching for the stars. Today we are sinking into the gutter. Fifty years ago we had a massively expanding economy and obtained superpower status. Today we have a collapsing economy and are losing superpower status"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post

Old 05-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Knight of the Forum

Now that we have had our say, back to the topic.

Brad, I will take responsibility this time for throwing the thread off the rail.

But it still makas me sad, because we were reaching for the stars, and now we have to hitch a ride with the Russians!! We don't even have manned space flight capabilities now.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Knights of the Forum

Hi Brad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Fifty years to the day when he became the first American in space. If anyone is interested in the story of the early days of the space race then get hold of The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe. Excellent...

It is a good read. This book brings back memories when I was much younger, many positive.

Peace be with you!
The humble, meek, merciful, just, pious and devout souls are everywhere of one religion; and when death has taken off the mask, they will know one another though the divers liveries they wear here make them strangers.
William Penn (1644-1718) from Some Fruits of Solitude (1718)
Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLAND View Post
Hi Brad!

It is a good read. This book brings back memories when I was much younger, many positive.
I had a lot of hope back then that we'd continue to stretch ourselves. It's always difficult trying to justify the cost, but ye gods, if everyone had got their act together then how far could we have gone in 50 years.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Knight of the Forum

I remember when I first heard the name, Alan Shepard. I was still in high school just about a month shy of graduation (June 1961 graduation) when he went into space. (I was still an active Catholic at that time.)

I was very hopeful and positive about the United States and the so-called free world in those days, even though I was quite na´ve in many ways. I am with you on this with regard to the present state of our country, CC. For me it is hard believe that there can be any favorable turn-around. But, if it is not time for the end yet, with God all things are possible. I keep praying.