Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Miracle Approved for Bishop Sheen

Old 03-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Suspended for Review

Default Miracle Approved for Bishop Sheen

From BREAKING: Fulton Sheen miracle approved! | BrandonVogt.com:

Big news out of Peoria, IL this morning as Bishop Daniel Jenky just received word that the seven-member board of medical experts who advise the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints at the Vatican unanimously approved a reported miracle attributed to the intercession of the Venerable Servant of God Archbishop Fulton Sheen.

This paves the way for Sheen's beatification, which would make him "Blessed Fulton Sheen" and leave him just one step away from official sainthood.

The miracle in question took place in September 2010 and involved a newborn boy named James Fulton Engstrom (son of Bonnie Engstrom, friend and fellow Catholic blogger.) James emerged showing no signs of life. Medical professionals scrambled to attempt every possible life saving procedure. Bonnie, her husband, and loved ones began immediately seeking the intercession of Fulton Sheen in prayer. Then, after 61 minutes with no pulse, James was miraculously restored to life and made a full recovery. He's now three years old and continues in good health.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Knights of the Forum

Default Re: Miracle Approved for Bishop Sheen

^^^I remember, Kerry, watching him on Sunday's television as a child. I think that he was on in the afternoon before Oral Roberts who was doing faith healings on television. It is an odd juxaposition that a healing oddly familiar with one (O. Roberts) appears in regards to the other (Sheen).

Peace be with you!
The humble, meek, merciful, just, pious and devout souls are everywhere of one religion; and when death has taken off the mask, they will know one another though the divers liveries they wear here make them strangers.
William Penn (1644-1718) from Some Fruits of Solitude (1718)

Last edited by HOLLAND : 03-07-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLAND View Post
^^^I remember, Kerry, watching him on Sunday's television as a child. I think that he was on in the afternoon before Oral Roberts who was doing faith healings on television. It is an odd juxaposition that a healing oddly familiar with one (O. Roberts) appears in regards to the other (Sheen).
I never got to see him on TV since we didn't have one. My Mother thought they were a bad influence. Maybe she was right. She got a TV after my sisters and I left home -- also after she changed churches.

What astounded me is that this child managed to live for over an hour without a heartbeat. How could he survive and not have brain damage or other serious health problems? It's truly something to be amazed about.

I lay almost lifeless for an hour or so after being born and then began to move, but I had a heartbeat!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
I never got to see him on TV since we didn't have one. My Mother thought they were a bad influence. Maybe she was right. She got a TV after my sisters and I left home -- also after she changed churches.

What astounded me is that this child managed to live for over an hour without a heartbeat. How could he survive and not have brain damage or other serious health problems? It's truly something to be amazed about.

I lay almost lifeless for an hour or so after being born and then began to move, but I had a heartbeat!
I believe that the baby was stillborn that was miraculously revived.
As for you, think of all we would have missed had God not raised you up and strengthened that tiny heart!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Suspended for Review

I found more information about this baby. From The Inside Story on Archbishop Fulton Sheen’s “Miracle Baby” - Aleteia:

For 61 minutes, the child was without a heartbeat despite the heroic efforts of medical staff. The situation seemed hopeless - the oxygen bag wouldn’t seal around James’s mouth and nose. They attempted intubating his tiny body three times, and three times they failed. Two shots of epinephrine were given, neither of which resulted in a heartbeat. While doctors, nurses, and hospital staff did all they could, James had no heartbeat, no oxygen, and no signs of life.

Meanwhile, Bonnie and Travis prayed. Their family prayed. Their friends prayed. Specifically, they prayed to Archbishop Fulton Sheen, asking him to intercede for James at the throne of God.

Bonnie and Travis had started watching old videos of Archbishop Sheen while Bonnie was pregnant with James. Convinced of Sheen’s holiness, and knowing that his cause for canonization was open, they decided to name their unborn son after the Archbishop. Bonnie began to ask for Sheen’s intercession over her pregnancy, labor, delivery, and entire life of the unborn James Fulton.

During those 61 minutes, the worst, most profoundly dark moments a parent can go through, Bonnie found herself unable to think, unable to even pray. In a state of total shock, the only thing she could think to do was just say the name of the man she’d formed the habit of talking to over the course of James’s pregnancy. She called on him, and relied on his prayers. It was all she could do.

Then, when everyone stopped working on James and the time of death was about to be called, there was a heartbeat.

James Fulton was rushed to NICU, where he spent the next three days being “cooled,” a therapy designed to spare the tiny body further damage.

Further damage. It was this phrase that hovered in the air. If James continued to live, doctors counseled the parents, the amount of further damage would be astronomical. Massive injury to the brain. Possible amputation from the second epinephrine shot, which had leaked all over James’s tiny leg. The EEGs showed abnormal brain activity. The MRIs showed brain damage. Bonnie and Travis were reeling, envisioning a life radically different from anything they ever thought they could shoulder.

Here, the couple relied on their faith. God had been so generous to them during the pregnancy, providing for their every need. During that time James was in the NICU, when Bonnie and Travis were told to expect their son’s death either from massive organ failure or severe disability, they reminded themselves that God is good - that he has always been faithful - and that this would not change.

Time passed. Over a hundred people gathered in the Peoria cathedral in Illinois, the place Fulton Sheen served at Mass and was later ordained, holding a Holy Hour and Mass. They prayed for Sheen’s intercession, for him to continue looking after James, as he had during Bonnie’s pregnancy, and as he had during the hour James was lifeless. The story of James, the Boy Who Lived, spread across the world. Non-believers asked believers to pray. Family members started attending Mass again in thanksgiving. Schoolchildren spiritually adopted James and asked Fulton Sheen’s intercession for him daily.

Three months after James was stillborn, the results of a follow-up MRI came in. White matter was age-appropriate; there was no inflammation, extra fluid, or blocked blood flow; all regions seemed normal. In other words, there was no sign of the brain damage that was noted after James finally took his first breath. Three months after that, James’s feeding tube was removed.

Friends and family told James’ parents that the boy’s story needed to be shared with the Sheen Foundation. This was a miracle, they insisted, through Sheen’s intercession. Finally, Bonnie’s mother pressed her case, if for no other reason than for a record to be kept of the events. Expecting absolutely nothing in terms of follow up, Bonnie sent in the story of James’s death and life to the Sheen Foundation.

From there, the story spread like wildfire through the channels. Ultimately, it wound up at the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints, where a seven-member team of medical experts reviewed the documents. Science, they concluded, cannot explain the revival and complete healing of James Fulton. Their findings reached Bonnie and Travis on March 6, who decided to celebrate the miraculous with a charmingly earthy dinner of steak and ice cream.

James, now a completely normal three year old (if such a thing exists), has been a sign and symbol of God’s love and mercy to so many people. However, his parents still marvel at the mundane aspects of the events. “It hasn’t really changed my faith, or my husband’s,” Bonnie says. “[T]he miracle affirmed what we already knew of God: he is all powerful and he can raise the dead and restore us all to life. Everything we went through with James has only been an affirmation of what we already knew of our great God. But I will say that mean people in the comboxes make me have to work on my charity and mercy. (How can someone be mean about a dead baby?! I don't get it but some people can.)”
Old 03-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Knight of the Forum

Sheen was a wonderful man, and a saint no doubt in my mind. You can still catch his old shows on EWTN. They don't make eloquent speakers like that anymore.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 03-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Sheen was a wonderful man, and a saint no doubt in my mind. You can still catch his old shows on EWTN. They don't make eloquent speakers like that anymore.
You Tube has lots of his videos too. What strikes me about him is how he makes the spiritual also practical and useful. I'm watching his video about "False Compassion" now. I liked it when he said true compassion always involves moral order -- and then proceeds to discuss "false compassion" where we pity the wrong people. This false compassion continues to be a scourge on our society. His sermon is still relevant today.

Good doctrines produce good results. He seems to keep this in mind.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Knight of the Forum

They also show how primetime TV has degenerated since then

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 03-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
They also show how primetime TV has degenerated since then
It sure does. I liked his jobs program. If there is anything we need right now,it's a jobs program that actually works. There are too many young people who need jobs, going astray out of idleness; and when they go astray, there's not much that can be done for them.

The truth -- the sad truth -- is that this seals the fate of black youths far worse than whites. A young black with a criminal record can't get a job. He has few alternatives except to go back to crime after he gets out of prison.

I know how that works in my town; and it's a small town with next to no problems compared to the big cities. A black kid arrested for drugs is let out again back into the same environment he came out of and the cops watch him until they can bust him again -- they get federal money for each arrest on drug charges. Thus there is no incentive to try to teach them a work ethic; but there is a big incentive to keep arresting them. They get broken down by the system. All kinds of benefits that are designed to help people get out of poverty are denied to them -- on the basis of one conviction as a young man. We need to have jobs programs that reward people who made mistakes in the past when they do right now.

The jobs promised by the stimulus plan did nothing to help the people who needed it the most. That was "false compassion" if you ask me.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:49 AM
Suspended for Review

This is unfortunate. From NBC:

A tug-of-war between two Catholic leaders over the body of legendary Archbishop Fulton Sheen has put the television preacher's sainthood campaign into limbo.

The bishop of Peoria, Illinois, has been building a case to beatify Sheen for more than a decade but suddenly abandoned the cause this week — blaming New York's powerful Cardinal Timothy Dolan for refusing to hand over the remains, which are buried beneath the high altar of St. Patrick's Cathedral.

The New York archdiocese shot back that Dolan opposes the "dismemberment of the Archbishop's body" for the purpose of collecting relics and that Sheen's closest relatives want the remains to stay right where they are.

Peoria put out statements: The Catholic Post : Featured Article - Sheen cause suspended, call for prayer (Updated Sept. 5)

New York put out a statement: Statement from the Archdiocese of New York on the canonization cause of Fulton Sheen