Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Tipping point found

Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Default Tipping point found

(I think this will open a pandora's box that scientists cant resist opening)

Beyond 'absolute zero' temperatures get hotter

Posted January 5, 2013 - 06:30 by Flora Malein

It sounds like a contradiction in terms but scientists have reached temperatures that go beyond absolute zero in a lab, and get hotter as they do so.

Whereas we’re all aware of what happens when temperatures hit negative temperatures on the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales (hint: it gets really cold), the Kelvin scale is an absolute temperature scale in physics where it is not possible to go beyond 0 degrees Kelvin. Therefore, the lowest point that any temperature can reach is 0 K or −460 °F (−273.15 °C); at least that’s what scientists thought until till now.

When they cooled an atomic gas to extreme lows, known as ‘ultracooling’, physicists at the Ludwig-Maximilians University Munich and the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics in Germany created a gas that went beyond absolute zero.

They found that the atoms in the ultracooled gas attract each other and give rise to a negative pressure. Instead of standing still when they go beyond 0 K, the gas becomes hotter.

"The gas is not colder than zero kelvin, but hotter," says physicist Ulrich Schneider, lead author on the paper that is published in the journal Science.

"It is even hotter than at any positive temperature."

This strange behavior has everything to do with how energy is spread throughout the atoms in a gas known as the ‘Boltzmann distribution’. A gas at any temperature will have different amounts of energy spread amongst its atoms. In a gas that is cooled, the majority of the particles will have low energy states although a few will have higher energy states.

When the Kelvin temperatures become negative in the ultracooled gas, the distributions of energy is the opposite way round so that most of the particles have very high energy states while very few have low ones. In this case, the Boltzmann distribution is said to be ‘inverted’ so that the normal state of affairs is reversed.

“The inverted Boltzmann distribution is the hallmark of negative absolute temperature; and this is what we have achieved,” says Schneider.

Their finding suggests that the previously impossible idea of a combustion engine that is 100 percent efficient may actually be achievable. Their finding offers a tantalizing insight into how 'dark energy', the elusive force that cosmologists believe is responsible for the expansion of the universe, might work.

As the Universe should be contracting under the force of gravity, rather than expanding as measurements suggest, the authors believe that dark energy could cause the expansion of the Universe by behaving in the opposite way to what is expected from the force of gravity. In the same way that the gas particles attract each other at negative temperatures rather than being repelled, dark energy may cause the expansion of the Universe by acting as a sort of negative gravity.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Tipping point found

Interesting post... always something new
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Suspended for Review

I always thought that one couldn’t attain absolute zero. When you’re talking about temperatures at that level, the terms hot and cold lose their everyday meaning – it’s more a description of the level of molecular activity. The close you get to zero the less molecular movement there is. Which means that at zero Kelvin there is no movement.

But they say that in the experiment they created a gas that went beyond absolute zero, which implies less than no movement..? Not sure how that would work in practice. But there’s something for me to waste an hour on later today.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Knight of the Forum

I also thought it was impossible to get to absolute zero, so I read a couple of explanations of this new experiment. I thought I had a pretty good grasp of physics, but it was waayyy over my head.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Administrator

I've also heard absolute zero meant no movement... so to be "colder" than this doesn't make much sense to me. And then to say "the colder you go, the warmer it is" really doesn't make sense. I have heard they can slow the speed of light down in cold environments - which is also strange.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I've also heard absolute zero meant no movement... so to be "colder" than this doesn't make much sense to me. And then to say "the colder you go, the warmer it is" really doesn't make sense. I have heard they can slow the speed of light down in cold environments - which is also strange.

I will explain it the best I can, this is happening on the molecular level. When it gets close to absolute zero kelvin, the molecules and the atoms, and the internal stuff in atoms slow down to a crawl, nearly no seen movement. They are saying that at "zero Kelvin" matter changes its properties and instead of slowing down as it gets colder, it speeds up, and that speed up creates friction, causing more heat, causing increased temps, its sorta like taking the temp below absolute kelvin causes matter to change to antimatter. Or rather instead of normal gravity, you get antigravity. It will open up a bunch of new sciences that breaks many of the laws of physics, but these are only man's laws not God's. But I feel the danger inherant in this new research will cause more grief than good.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Suspended for Review

We could use some cooling down here. Temperature in Sydney tomorrow is forecast to hit 43C (that's a smidgen under 110F for you Imperial guys).

Shorts and a T shirt for the office, I think.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
We could use some cooling down here. Temperature in Sydney tomorrow is forecast to hit 43C (that's a smidgen under 110F for you Imperial guys).

Shorts and a T shirt for the office, I think.
You better hope the a/c doesnt conk out.