Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > The Growing Universe

Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Default The Growing Universe

I had some time yesterday so I made some quick illustrations that show a comparison between the early Universe and a seed. **At some point in our history, science tells us the early Universe was the size of a mustard seed!

The next illustration shows a timeline of the early Universe and how God must be outside of time:

The next illustration shows characteristics of the cause:

>
>
>

Last edited by Mark : 12-10-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: The Growing Universe

You made those illustrations?
Thats pretty good.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Administrator

^thanks......
Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Suspended for Review

If you pick any time in human history, there was a point on that timeline in your second illustration before which the answer was "we don't know". As our understanding of science grows, we keep pushing the point of "we don't know" back further and further. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it takes a lot of work.

Should we be content with leaving the point of "we don't know" where it is now, and simply insert "the God I believe in"?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
If you pick any time in human history, there was a point on that timeline in your second illustration before which the answer was "we don't know". As our understanding of science grows, we keep pushing the point of "we don't know" back further and further. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it takes a lot of work.

Should we be content with leaving the point of "we don't know" where it is now, and simply insert "the God I believe in"?
Scientific discovery is a great thing - we should always try to learn more. However, a scientist that excludes the possibility of God is close-minded. If you ask the question whether or not the Universe was created, then there is only one place on the timeline to study (the beginning)... everything after that point is simply the "unfolding" of creation.

Science answers questions associated with our physical universe (time/matter/energy)... when you're dealing with topics not associated with these things, then it's only reasonable to use a different type of wisdom i.e. religion, for example.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
If you ask the question whether or not the Universe was created, then there is only one place on the timeline to study (the beginning).
There are a great many people who don't think we need to.

Quote:
Scientific discovery is a great thing - we should always try to learn more. However, a scientist that excludes the possibility of God is close-minded.
A scientist will go where ever the evidence takes him. There's some sort of perception that a legitimate scientist who proved God's existence would forgo all the fame and fortune in order to toe the atheist line.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
There are a great many people who don't think we need to.
^oh ok... thanks for your input - it really elevated the discussion

Last edited by Mark : 01-27-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Knights of the Forum

Hi Mark!

Your postings seem to remind me of Teilhard de Chardin whom I haven't read in some 35 years. I've largely forgotten his thinking, though I strongly remember how excited many people were at his thinking. Is his teleological theology behind your postings?

Peace be with you!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
.....As our understanding of science grows, we keep pushing the point of "we don't know" back further and further......
Eventually you'll get to God.

Keep pushing.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLAND View Post
Hi Mark!

Your postings seem to remind me of Teilhard de Chardin whom I haven't read in some 35 years. I've largely forgotten his thinking, though I strongly remember how excited many people were at his thinking. Is his teleological theology behind your postings?

Peace be with you!
Hi Holland,

Unfortunately, I do not know Teilhard de Chardin