Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Drawing the line between science and Faith

Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
onegodonename

Default Drawing the line between science and Faith

When do we do it?

Personally...I believe that Science is God given, and what we don't know we won't know because He doesn't want us to know.

Like Adam, Eve, the serpent, and the tree and then the folk and the tower of Babel.
Genesis 2:17
17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Genesis 3:22
22And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil:and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Genesis 11:1-9
1And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

2And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

3And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.

4And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

5And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

6And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

8So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

9Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

If God wanted us to have this knowledge, He would have given it to us and to go and look for it, what He doesn't want us to know, we will NEVER find out.

Hey!!! That could be why so many people are considered mad. Because they know too much. They found out something that God didn't want them to know so now their "speech is confounded" Their not credible and thus no one will hear them. HMMMMMMM
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Drawing the line between science and Faith

I wouldn't draw a line between them. God created everything including the means to understand anything in His creation. We can pursue truth without going through Him, but since it is not His Truth, we will end up be deluded. Is everything that science has uncovered a delusion? Perhaps not, but an unbeliever will never know the difference between God's Truth and man's delusions.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Minister

I don't think we have to draw a line between the two. It all depends on what you call Science. Science in it purest form is observation. Since only one was there in the beginning I would rather trust what He said about it then those who were not there. When I hear Scientist talk about things that they could not observe as if it is fact I question their asumption. There is no way any one can date something, because they were not there when it began. Carbon dating is faulty, even the man who discovered it said so. There are things that can interfer with it. All forms of dating are limited. So, no one really knows. I will trust the one who was there in the beginning.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
onegodonename

IMO, God created science too. *shrug*
Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by khigg View Post
Science in it purest form is observation.
Excellent point, Khigg. Empirical data is the basis for science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khigg View Post
When I hear Scientist talk about things that they could not observe as if it is fact I question their asumption. There is no way any one can date something, because they were not there when it began.
I respectfully disagree here. Science can offer theories in regard to matters that happened a long time ago by predicting what would happen in the present time based on assumptions (because we weren't there) on what would likely occur. And then they can test that theory in regard to the present time by testing the veracity of those predictions.

If the predictions turn out to be true, then the theory is generally accepted to be valid, until some such time as someone comes up with peer accepted reasons why it is not true.

Carbon dating has proven to be an accepted method of verifying age, but it's not the only method. All others that are generally accepted tend to further validate carbon dating, within a certain degree of accuracy. But that accuracy is not, by any stretch of anyones imagination, a matter of large factors of error.

I'd be interested if you have some information about carbon dating's inaccuracy.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:51 PM

This is one of my favorite subjects. I feel science is more a wayward child of the church than anything else. As is medicine[a form of science] and education. Among others these were given to us to enhance the quality of life. What men have done with them is a sin in my opinion. The way we as a people have let them slip away is also pretty bad. Everything God has given us is meant to improve our lives so I can not see gutting a baby to save some adult. I really wish we could recapture our unity so we could take our lost child back in among us and heal his mind.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by christkid777 View Post
I can not see gutting a baby to save some adult.
Does this refer to stem cell research?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Well Brad, I am not aware of any reasoning that says stem cell research is some "holy grail". Many people place a lot of faith and hope in the results of stem cell research, and it does seem to be a powerhouse for cellular regeneration. However I believe this area of research is driven by the same human greed which allows the earth to be raped and pillaged for profit sake. We tend to take the shortest path to profit and leave the bodies by the side of the road. The result is pollution of the air,water and food supply along with destruction of the natural world. I think profit [increase] is necessary but there needs to be long term consideration of the consequences. I have always believed the earth [science included] could be managed by caring men and woman without the wide scale destruction. Like many farmers love their land and seek to preserve and enhance it's potential so the whole earth, and it's peoples, should be loved. However my comments were not so specific as to single out stem cell research alone. The gist of my post, in my mind, was to say I think science in general needs a shot of Godly oversight to help it attain all God meant for it to be without straying from the good path. When you truly walk with God you find He has tremendous insight into every area of human endeavor. Of all the people who could benefit from God"s counsel I feel scientist [and doctors]have a unique opportunity. In regard to stem cells I have heard there are several alternate sources for base cells which don't carry the stigma of human sacrifice. However I don't consider myself well versed on this specific subject. This may be more answer than you needed. Thats just the way it is.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Heneni

Science is used to make fertilizer that helps feed millions, and the same science is used to make bombs. There is no faith required to make either. But faith is required to not worry about what you are going to eat, and faith required to not worry about being bombed. You have faith that you will be fed, and you have faith that if you are killed, your spirit is not killed.

Heneni
Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Justus1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by christkid777 View Post
Well Brad, I am not aware of any reasoning that says stem cell research is some "holy grail". Many people place a lot of faith and hope in the results of stem cell research, and it does seem to be a powerhouse for cellular regeneration. However I believe this area of research is driven by the same human greed which allows the earth to be raped and pillaged for profit sake. We tend to take the shortest path to profit and leave the bodies by the side of the road. The result is pollution of the air,water and food supply along with destruction of the natural world. I think profit [increase] is necessary but there needs to be long term consideration of the consequences. I have always believed the earth [science included] could be managed by caring men and woman without the wide scale destruction. Like many farmers love their land and seek to preserve and enhance it's potential so the whole earth, and it's peoples, should be loved. However my comments were not so specific as to single out stem cell research alone. The gist of my post, in my mind, was to say I think science in general needs a shot of Godly oversight to help it attain all God meant for it to be without straying from the good path. When you truly walk with God you find He has tremendous insight into every area of human endeavor. Of all the people who could benefit from God"s counsel I feel scientist [and doctors]have a unique opportunity. In regard to stem cells I have heard there are several alternate sources for base cells which don't carry the stigma of human sacrifice. However I don't consider myself well versed on this specific subject. This may be more answer than you needed. Thats just the way it is.
The point of science is observation to explain some phenomena. If there is no evidence of any god, why do people believe in the supernatural? Its the same reason I don't believe in faries, there is no proof of their existence.