Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Two Good Debates

Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Default Two Good Debates

Long, but worth watching.....

Debate 1: The Great God Debate,Atheist and Christian Go One ON One (Please Subscribe) - YouTube

Debate 2: Full 2012 Atheism Debate HD, Richard Dawkins vs Cardinal George Pell. From Q and A. - YouTube
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: Two Good Debates

I saw the first one live. The weekly Q and A programme is quite popular down here.

Pell is regarded generally as a bit of a lightweight in Australia. He's rolled out on occasion to give some quote or other on the topic du jour, but otherwise nobody really takes a lot of notice of him.

I thought that Dawkins was his usual irritated self and came out of the discussion ahead on points, but Pell was very poor. Does any Catholic support his view that Adam and Eve were purely mythological?

Incidentally, he is currently resisting calls for a full independent enquiry into sexual abuse cases. A senior police officer has called for it, citing damning evidence of cover ups. You can read his letter to the premier here: OPINION: Don't block your ears to abuse, Mr Premier | Newcastle Herald.

Pell's conduct will be watched very carefully over the next few weeks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Administrator

I believe Dawkins is too angry to be effective... he comes across as a person who is angry at God and is now hell bent on revenge...Pell did well against him, but is a little too liberal in his theology in my opinion.

In the other video, however, Dinesh D’Souza won the debate hands down...

Last edited by Mark : 11-10-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Just to further this discussion, I believe many people fall into traps when debating atheists such as Dawkins. Often Dawkins will lure people into his realm (biology/evolution) because that's his comfort zone. From there, it's easy for him to make the other person look incompetent.

I've learned the best way to handle these types of debates is to keep the focus simple i.e. what's more reasonable. The old saying "every watch has a watchmaker" sits well with me... perhaps I would modify the saying to artwork and artist. My point is you don't have to be a scholar to recognize design.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Just to further this discussion, I believe many people fall into traps when debating atheists such as Dawkins. Often Dawkins will lure people into his realm (biology/evolution) because that's his comfort zone. From there, it's easy for him to make the other person look incompetent.

I've learned the best way to handle these types of debates is to keep the focus simple i.e. what's more reasonable. The old saying "every watch has a watchmaker" sits well with me... perhaps I would modify the saying to artwork and artist. My point is you don't have to be a scholar to recognize design.
Drop "M Theory" in their lap. Father told Moses 3,000 years ago, "I am that I am". Leading Scientists liken the 11th Dimension to bubbles in waves in the ocean. Read Genesis 1, 1st day.
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.

Last edited by thelowlyfisherman : 12-07-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Knight of the Forum

I watched five minutes of the second link and couldn't stomach that creep Dawkins any longer

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II