Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Man-made super-flu could kill half humanity

Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Man-made super-flu could kill half humanity

Quote:
A virus with the potential to kill up to half the world’s population has been made in a lab. Now academics and bioterrorism experts are arguing over whether to publish the recipe, and whether the research should have been done in the first place.

*The virus is an H5N1 bird flu strain which was genetically altered to become much more contagious. It was created by Ron Fouchier of the Erasmus Medical Centre in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, who first presented his work to the public at an influenza conference in Malta in September.

Fouchier said the strain circulates in animals, particularly birds, but rarely affects humans.
In the ten or so years since bird flu first emerged in Asia, fewer than 600 cases have been reported in humans. But the H5N1 strain is particularly vicious, killing roughly half of patients diagnosed with it. What stops it from becoming a major threat to public health is that it does not readily transmit from human to human. Or at least it didn’t – until now.

Researchers in Fouchier’s team used ferrets – test animals which closely mimic the human response to influenza – and transmitted H5N1 from one to another to make it more adaptable to new hosts. After 10 generations, the virus had mutated to become airborne, which means ferrets became ill from merely being near other diseased animals.

A genetic study showed that the new, dangerous strain had only five mutations compared to the original one, and all of them were earlier seen in the natural environment – just not all at once. Fouchier’s strain is as contagious as the human seasonal flu, which kills tens of thousands of people each year, but is likely to cause many more fatalities if released.

"I can't think of another pathogenic organism that is as scary as this one," Paul Keim, a microbial geneticist who has worked on anthrax for many years, told Science Insider. "I don't think anthrax is scary at all compared to this."
Man-made super-flu could kill half humanity - RT.com
Let me see in my brother that I see in Him whom I worship.

John 7:19
Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

Remember, always, the Angels wish...Selah!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: Man-made super-flu could kill half humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemuel View Post
Cough! Cough!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Nancy

As I asked in a previous post: Why are people bent on self-destruction?

We battle to destroy viruses and bacteria that harm mankind and kill our babies.

We create new strains of viruses to wipe-out mankind and kill our babies?

Pardon my initial reaction, but People Suck. ( not all people, but a heck of a lot of them) Where is there a more perfect example of utter stupidity than in the article quoted in the OP?

Will it NEVER be any different? I've seen fifty years and people are still trying to destroy themselves. Perhaps one day, they'll succeed. (and then they can blame the god who created us?)

Why oh why oh why? Poor dam ferrets.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post

We battle to destroy viruses and bacteria that harm mankind and kill our babies.

Pardon my initial reaction, but People Suck. ( not all people, but a heck of a lot of them) Where is there a more perfect example of utter stupidity than in the article quoted in the OP?

Will it NEVER be any different? I've seen fifty years and people are still trying to destroy themselves. Perhaps one day, they'll succeed. (and then they can blame the god who created us?)

It's natures way of keeping the population level below man's copulation level.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
It's natures way of keeping the population level below man's copulation level.
Nice rhyme, Sid. Made me smile . . . despite human stupidity.

CinderAsh, you do know you should cough into your sleeve now-a-days, right? Instead of your hand?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Nice rhyme, Sid. Made me smile . . . despite human stupidity.

CinderAsh, you do know you should cough into your sleeve now-a-days, right? Instead of your hand?

I always cough under my armpit and wash my nostrils every time at a washbasin to flush out any contaminants.
And never sniff!
The stuff wants to get out. Can't see the point in sniffing, snorting it back in.
TMI lol.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:

I think the thought behind developing such strains is to enable to develop antibodies or even cures by understanding them better.

I think quite a few vaccines have been developed by this laboratory controlled environment and experimentation.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAsh View Post
I always cough under my armpit and wash my nostrils every time at a washbasin to flush out any contaminants.
And never sniff!
The stuff wants to get out. Can't see the point in sniffing, snorting it back in.
TMI lol.
Germs are the molecular structure of life.
Make friends with them and you and they will live together.
Fight them or run from them and it will be a weakened 'you' to whom they will ultimately return victorious.