Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Experiments with Platinum Simulate Evolutionary Transition of Snails

Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Experiments with Platinum Simulate Evolutionary Transition of Snails

Quote:
Evolution doesn’t have to operate at a snail’s pace, even for snails. In experiments designed to simulate the evolutionary transition that produced slugs, researchers exposed baby snails to the metal platinum, causing the animals to develop without external shells. The research illustrates how a big leap on the evolutionary path of animal body plans might have occurred. It also reopens a can of worms concerning the development and evolution of an entire class of shelled creatures.

Scientists reared Marisa snails, best known for cleaning up algae and other debris in home aquariums, in petri dishes containing varying concentrations of platinum. At certain exposures, all of the roughly 80 percent of snails that survived were shell-less, Heinz Köhler of the University of Tübingen in Germany and his colleagues report in the September-October Evolution & Development. The researchers posit that the platinum is causing effects similar to the genetic mutation that turned off shell production in some snails, paving the way for their slug descendants.
Cool Evolution Trick: Platinum Turns Baby Snails Into Slugs | Wired Science | Wired.com
Let me see in my brother that I see in Him whom I worship.

John 7:19
Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

Remember, always, the Angels wish...Selah!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: Experiments with Platinum Simulate Evolutionary Transition of Snails

And an associated story that was reported down here recently:

Evolution has been caught in the act, according to scientists who are decoding how a species of Australian lizard is abandoning egg-laying in favor of live birth.

Along the warm coastal lowlands of New South Wales (map), the yellow-bellied three-toed skink lays eggs to reproduce. But individuals of the same species living in the state's higher, colder mountains are almost all giving birth to live young. Evolution in Action: Lizard Moving From Eggs to Live Birth

The shells are getting thinner and thinnner and eventually become just a membrane.

"Now we can see that the uterus secretes calcium that becomes incorporated into the embryo—it's basically the early stages of the evolution of a placenta in reptiles," Stewart explained.

A classic case of evolution in action. And there's me been saying all this time that it happens too slowly to see. I may have to stand corrected on that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Experiments with Platinum Simulate Evolutionary Transition of Snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
A classic case of evolution in action. And there's me been saying all this time that it happens too slowly to see. I may have to stand corrected on that.
Don't hold your breath... "remember the lemur" i.e. the transitional fossil that caused all the fuss.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Suspended for Review

I think people getting too excited about ‘missing links’ would always end up being disappointed. ‘Transitional fossil’ doesn’t have the same cache.

But this is apparently (I haven’t done a lot of checking into this) a significant and demonstrable change in the life cycle of members of the same species living in different areas. Classic divergent evolution.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I think people getting too excited about ‘missing links’ would always end up being disappointed. ‘Transitional fossil’ doesn’t have the same cache.

But this is apparently (I haven’t done a lot of checking into this) a significant and demonstrable change in the life cycle of members of the same species living in different areas. Classic divergent evolution.
It happens every few centuries... these lizards get confused - just ask the natives. I'm personally still waiting for them to find bigfoot.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 PM
LillianGrace

Did you know that Elvis is still alive?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:00 AM

Heh heh heh!