Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Habitable Planet Discovered, Gliese 581g; Does it Have Life?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Habitable Planet Discovered, Gliese 581g; Does it Have Life?

Quote:
After spending decades searching for alien planets capable of harboring life, astronomers may have found one. So how can they check to see if life actually exists on this alien world?
Last week (Sept. 29), a team of researchers announced the discovery of Gliese 581g, a rocky, roughly Earth-size planet in its parent star's so-called "habitable zone" a just-right range that can allow liquid water to exist.

One of the planet's discoverers said in a briefing yesterday that "the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent." To determine if this is true, researchers will have to scrutinize Gliese 581g from afar, searching its atmosphere for certain telltale molecules.
Gliese 581g: If there's life there, how will we know? - CSMonitor.com

How does this affect your belief in God?
Let me see in my brother that I see in Him whom I worship.

John 7:19
Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

Remember, always, the Angels wish...Selah!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 PM
SeraphimH

Default Re: Habitable Planet Discovered, Gliese 581g; Does it Have Life?

I read that its tidally locked, with no real rotation since it's so close to its star. Probably inhibits life from forming when theres no effective temperature regulation or consistent weather patterns. But with God, there's infinite possibilities.

Life elsewhere doesn't effect us since, according to God, we are the pinnacle of creation.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:49 AM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemuel View Post
The question assumes that the finding is correct. Its convenient that no one can actually prove it.

However, if it were true, it would not affect my belief in the slightest. Man has slowly discovered the wonders of God's creation through various scientific endeavors, and this would simply be another step down that road.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
The planet is tidally locked to the star, meaning that one side is always facing the star and basking in perpetual daylight, while the side facing away from the star is in perpetual darkness. One effect of this is to stabilize the planet's surface climates, according to Vogt. The most habitable zone on the planet's surface would be the line between shadow and light (known as the "terminator"), with surface temperatures decreasing toward the dark side and increasing toward the light side.
If Gliese 581g has a rocky composition similar to the Earth's, its diameter would be about 1.2 to 1.4 times that of the Earth. The surface gravity would be about the same or slightly higher than Earth's, so that a person could easily walk upright on the planet, Vogt said.

The new findings are based on 11 years of observations of Gliese 581 using the HIRES spectrometer (designed by Vogt) on the Keck I Telescope at the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii.

"If these are rare, we shouldn't have found one so quickly and so nearby," Vogt said. "The number of systems with potentially habitable planets is probably on the order of 10 or 20 percent, and when you multiply that by the hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way, that's a large number. There could be tens of billions of these systems in our galaxy."
Newly discovered planet may be first truly habitable exoplanet
Let me see in my brother that I see in Him whom I worship.

John 7:19
Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

Remember, always, the Angels wish...Selah!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:15 AM
Knight of the Forum

Man has in the last century or so had to significantly redefine a lot of what science has taught us. We once had a totally different understanding of what 'life' was. Then man discovered micro-organisms, and we've had to constantly move the line since. As soon as we get a definition established, we find an exception. There is life miles under the ocean surface living in toxic boiling 'water' coming out of volcanic vents. There is life buried in Glacial ice that has been compressed to solid water crystal and hasn't seen the sun or air in millenia. We've found life encased in solid rock buried deep under ground getting it's energy from the minute amount of radio active decay the rock gives off. We've even found things that our best classification of is 'kind of alive, but not really'.
And this is just on this planet. Everywhere we look, once we look hard enough, we find life.
There are ancient religious traditions and teachings that go so far as to describe everything as being alive in a sense, they get very metaphysical and ambient, talking about life force and how that's what matter is made of and it's never destroyed simply renewed and reorganized...wait no, that's science's law of conservation of matter...no, I'm right both times...The science that once thought to replace God, is drawing full circle and returning to testify those things religion has always taught.

I believe that life as we know it, including those extremophiles, that live in ways and conditions we knew they couldn't until we found them, life exists everywhere it can exist, and and science has barely scratched the surface.

The universe is full of God's wonder and creation.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Suspended for Review

All creation is a living entity because it is God. In death there is life and a planetary object whether supporting life or not is part of that LIVING creation just as a dead cell in a split hair on your head.
That is my belief!