Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Having Faith 'helps patients live longer', Study Suggests

Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Having Faith 'helps patients live longer', Study Suggests

Quote:
Research into liver transplant patients found those who were actively “seeking God” had a better survival rate than those who did not hold religious beliefs, regardless of which faith they held.

They found some patients were up to three times more likely to survive by having a “strong religious connection”, even if they didn't attend church.
The study, published in the journal Liver Transplantation, adds weight to previous studies that showed how religion and faith can “influence disease progression”.

Dr Franco Bonaguidi, who led the study, said the study found patients with “high religious coping” who actively sought “God's help” and trusted their beliefs had a “more prolonged post-transplant survival than patients with low religiosity”.

“We found that an active search for God, (where) the patient's faith in a higher power rather than a generic destiny, had a positive impact on patient survival,” he said.
Having faith 'helps patients live longer', study suggests - Telegraph
Let me see in my brother that I see in Him whom I worship.

John 7:19
Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

Remember, always, the Angels wish...Selah!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: Having Faith 'helps patients live longer', Study Suggests

The article went on to say:

The researchers concluded that the “search for God factor” coupled with a patient’s length of stay in an intensive care unit were “independently associated with survival”.

My emphasis. Staying longer in intensive care is a minor point I guess, but worth noting. Might have had a small effect on the success rates.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 AM
CatholicCrusader

Default Re: Having Faith 'helps patients live longer', Study Suggests

Thats an old study, which gets regurgitated in various forms every once in a while.

Prayer and faith have a positive effect on healing. That is a fact.