Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > What is this...?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Default What is this...?

4-Time Texas Lottery Winner Rich with Money, Mystery

See whole story here

If the odds are 1 and 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 then the phrase "mathematically impossible" comes to mind.

When something that's mathematically impossible happens, what happened? I remember watching some "beyond" show on Discovery Channel (I forget the name). One lady was into witchcraft and she claimed that the devil granted her temporary wealth in return for her loyalty - later, the witchcraft nearly destroyed her (she became a Christian).

In any case, this story puzzles me. It's either an example of an impossible fluke (Brad can add this to his evolution arsenal), or something else. How can you win the lottery 4 times
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: What is this...?

Those odds quoted are on the assumption that she'd only bought 4 tickets and each of them was a winner. Long odds indeed.

I think that it's safe to say that she plays regularly. The Texas lotto is held twice weekly, so if she's played every game since her first win she'd have played 1,760 times. I found that the odds of one person winning the Texas lottery are 1:1.8 million, so her chance of winning once would have been around 1:670.

Multiply that by itself 4 times and you get 1:201 billion. Still a lot of zeros...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Gentlewind

And I ain't never no won nuttin.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Those odds quoted are on the assumption that she'd only bought 4 tickets and each of them was a winner. Long odds indeed.
I read that after I made the post - makes things a little less strange. Although it's still crazy luck.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 AM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentlewind View Post
And I ain't never no won nuttin.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Gentlewind

Hehehe. I'm glad you're back, you ornery Catholic man!

(that's said with affection)