Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Fabricated & Falsified Research

Old 10-18-2009, 08:57 AM

Default Fabricated & Falsified Research

Check it out the link to it here. Just curious what others think about this.

PLoS ONE: How Many Scientists Fabricate and Falsify Research? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Survey Data
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Redeemed

Default Re: Fabricated & Falsified Research

Hi Brad~
Didn't read it all, but I'm sure some scientists are more worried about fame and money than accuracy or truth. What can you believe now-a-days?
~Nancy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Hi Brad~
Didn't read it all, but I'm sure some scientists are more worried about fame and money than accuracy or truth. What can you believe now-a-days?
~Nancy
You already know the answer to that!
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 AM

If you read on down the page a little you'll find this:

There can be little doubt about the fraudulent nature of fabrication, but falsification is a more problematic category. Scientific results can be distorted in several ways, which can often be very subtle and/or elude researchers' conscious control. Data, for example, can be “cooked” (a process which mathematician Charles Babbage in 1830 defined as “an art of various forms, the object of which is to give to ordinary observations the appearance and character of those of the highest degree of accuracy”[12]); it can be “mined” to find a statistically significant relationship that is then presented as the original target of the study; it can be selectively published only when it supports one's expectations; it can conceal conflicts of interest, etc…

Scientist are always wanting proof, proof, proof and more proof from people that say, "We live byfaith and not by sight."
Funny thing is we have never had to make up anything to get results. We do not falsify, or should I say CAN not falsify , Gods words to get results.
I think I will keep on leaning to Gods word and forget about the scientist
data
Old 10-19-2009, 11:48 AM
quietude

This report is not surprising. Men are men. They will often not choose the path of integrity. I still believe that most scientists are objective and honest, but obviously not all. So, the question Nancy poses is the important one. Who, and what, do we believe? Certainly we ought not just let the scientific society spoon feed us whatever they want, just as we ought not eat up every religious claim made to us. Ought not we then study all things, and ask always to be guided by our Heavenly Father in the paths we choose? Is there any lasting trouble into which we can get ourselves using that standard?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:28 PM
LewisM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietude View Post
This report is not surprising. Men are men. They will often not choose the path of integrity. I still believe that most scientists are objective and honest, but obviously not all. So, the question Nancy poses is the important one. Who, and what, do we believe? Certainly we ought not just let the scientific society spoon feed us whatever they want, just as we ought not eat up every religious claim made to us. Ought not we then study all things, and ask always to be guided by our Heavenly Father in the paths we choose? Is there any lasting trouble into which we can get ourselves using that standard?
Great Post Jesse!... you BASICALLY took the words out of my mouth. But then I tend to use more words then most... LOL.
Forgetting totally about science and "leaning" on God can only be two things. Ignorance, or selective intelligence??? God did give us a brain to use correct?
The interesting thing is that the community of science seems to be more self righting, or correcting than any other. Although it may take hundreds of years in some cases. LOL For fun in the science community here at a local university (U of M). I like to ask them how the Hadron collider is coming along... LOL!!
Only the vain could possibly believe they know more or better than the creator of all.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietude View Post
Amen Jesse!