Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Calming the storm- is Bill Gates the next Jesus?

Old 07-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Calming the storm- is Bill Gates the next Jesus?

Okay, now that I got your attention; did you see this story? Hurricane-calming technology? Bill Gates has a plan - USATODAY.com

Bill Gates has a plan to build cooling devices in a place such as the Gulf of Mexico that would knock the wind power out of a hurricane. While it may work, my question to you is should we undertake this type of climate control or are we messing with God's plan? Storms after all do serve a purpose in natural cycle of destruction and rebirth for the planet. What's your thoughts?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Calming the storm- is Bill Gates the next Jesus?

Again an example of man messing about with things they dont understand, and no doubt will have adverse after effects. Then the people behind it will say something really stupid like "We never expected this type of reaction, we had researched it throroughly, and we are not actually sure that it has caused the havoc people are claiming it has."
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Daniel

In retrospect if it worked for something good it would not be the first time God used bill to accomplish something.
just a thought.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Suspended for Review

Isn't Bill part of God's plan? How do we know when we're stepping outside the Grand Plan and when we're actually part of it?
Old 07-19-2009, 03:12 AM
quietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Isn't Bill part of God's plan? How do we know when we're stepping outside the Grand Plan and when we're actually part of it?
Bill has his agency. God's plan takes into account our agency. So He can keep his promises despite our uses of agency that would otherwise prevent Him from doing so. Whether Bill's actions are in accordance with God's will is another question altogether. I, for one, am not qualified to say that Bill's actions were planned and inspired by God, but I know they were "planned for" by Him. In other words, they are no surprise to God, and should they pose a threat to his overall plan, provisions have already been made by God to enable the continued fulfillment of His word, while allowing Bill 100% agency to act as he will.

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Heneni

Hi peggy. Its truly amazing how we humans can come up with the most brilliant ideas.

Now about this plan of Bill the Nazarene, though it would probably work, i would say that it could very well cause damage to the environment. A hurricane itself produces damage to houses and to a certain extend trees and so forth....but this is the part that concerns me.

From the article:

Quote:
Hurricanes, most famously demonstrated by the deadly intensification of Hurricane Katrina before its landfall in 2005, draw strength from warm waters on the ocean's surface. The patents describe a system for strategically placing turbine-equipped barges in the path of storms to chill sea surfaces with cold water pumped from the depths.
If i knew more about the design i could say or . Right now im thinking about small animals being pumped around with the water, and my other concern would be that the water is pumped back to the depths and the colder water if not pumped back will interfere with the eco-system of the warmer upper lays of ocean water.

Off topic: There has been speculation that the streaks that planes leave behind as they criss cross through the air, contains more than just super cooled ice particles. There are some studies that show that some planes carry a chemical that together with the streaks that form are pumped into the atmosphere to alter the formation of clouds. Conspiracy theory? Maybe. Maybe not.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3
Again an example of man messing about with things they dont understand, and no doubt will have adverse after effects. Then the people behind it will say something really stupid like "We never expected this type of reaction, we had researched it throroughly, and we are not actually sure that it has caused the havoc people are claiming it has."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heneni View Post
Hi peggy. Its truly amazing how we humans can come up with the most brilliant ideas.

Now about this plan of Bill the Nazarene, though it would probably work, i would say that it could very well cause damage to the environment. A hurricane itself produces damage to houses and to a certain extend trees and so forth....but this is the part that concerns me.

From the article:

If i knew more about the design i could say or . Right now im thinking about small animals being pumped around with the water, and my other concern would be that the water is pumped back to the depths and the colder water if not pumped back will interfere with the eco-system of the warmer upper lays of ocean water.

Off topic: There has been speculation that the streaks that planes leave behind as they criss cross through the air, contains more than just super cooled ice particles. There are some studies that show that some planes carry a chemical that together with the streaks that form are pumped into the atmosphere to alter the formation of clouds. Conspiracy theory? Maybe. Maybe not.
My concern when I heard this yesterday was similar thoughts in regard to the immediate and long term effects this would have on the environment. First off an unnatural cooling of the waters will create a backlash on the life-cycle of ocean life. Secondly, as destructive as things such as hurricanes or wildfires are, they serve a purpose in maintaining the planetary balance of life. man has messed with this before with unexpected results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I'd have to say to you, Brad, that that depends on if you think man really can make one iota of difference in God's plan. For this topic, I guess the question would be do we believe that man can destroy the earth either through environmental damage as this could cause or even by nuclear war and that it would be outside of God's plan or change God's plan. What do you think? Not for yourself.... I know that answer. Tell me what you think the predominance of Christians you have encountered would say? Would they say that man's actions could change or rush God's plan? Tell me how you see their answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietude
Bill has his agency. God's plan takes into account our agency. So He can keep his promises despite our uses of agency that would otherwise prevent Him from doing so. Whether Bill's actions are in accordance with God's will is another question altogether. I, for one, am not qualified to say that Bill's actions were planned and inspired by God, but I know they were "planned for" by Him. In other words, they are no surprise to God, and should they pose a threat to his overall plan, provisions have already been made by God to enable the continued fulfillment of His word, while allowing Bill 100% agency to act as he will.

Just my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
In retrospect if it worked for something good it would not be the first time God used bill to accomplish something.
just a thought.
I agree with you, Jesse - I think God's got it covered whether it's His will or not. I think we're gonna be kinda surprised in the end the things we find out that were in or out of His will that we counted otherwise. As Daniel points out, God used Bill to bring us here to talk about it; He can use him for something else.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Josif59

Perhaps Bill ought to stick with his main tax right-off and focus on getting a computer in every classroom/home with a high speed connection. In the meantime, if he really wants to decrease the effects of hurricanes, let's see if he can come up with some way to increase the solar winds and move the solar system off its alignment with the galactic plane.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 PM

I got an idea, lets research time travel, and if we find a way to make it work, go back and kill ourselves and see what happens. Would that be suicide or murder or just plain stupidity?
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Josif59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
I got an idea, lets research time travel, and if we find a way to make it work, go back and kill ourselves and see what happens. Would that be suicide or murder or just plain stupidity?
Greetings Brad,

I'm unable to recall if you have children. But was thinking of the Michael J. Fox movie where he was trying to get his parents hooked up so he himself would have life. I think of your comment. Would you be killing only yourself, or your children as well? Best leave well enough alone, eh.

P.S. Obviously I would call it 'stupidity'.

Last edited by Josif59 : 07-19-2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: post script