Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Christianity and the age of the Earth

Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 AM
AFI

Default Christianity and the age of the Earth

There is a lot of division among those opposed to evolution on this issue. There are young earth creationists, old earth creationists, progressive creationists, and the intelligent design movement. I personally would describe myself as an old earth creationist. The main issue behind this division is the issue of the age of the earth. Unfortunately instead of focusing on what we have in common and working toward our central goal a lot of time, effort and money has been spent by both sides fighting over the age of the earth.

I think that the first thing that needs to happen in regards to this issue is for both sides to acknowledge that the other side could be right, basically take the hostility out of the argument. We can still disagree on the issue and debate it but we donít need to attack each other.
There has been some progress made on ending the hostility however there are still some organizations that are fuelling the fire. I would say that the worst offender is the popular organization Answers In Genesis. They have a wide variety of books, lectures, and papers that all attack any theory of creation thesis not based on the earth only being 6 thousand years old.

I would like to both encourage discussion on this issue but also more importantly encourage everyone to push for unity in spite of this issue. We need to put pressure on organizations like Answers In Genesis to stop accusing old earth creationists of undermining the bible, because we donít.

Last edited by AFI : 10-20-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: I dropped the word controversy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Christianity and the age of the earth controversy.

I would hardly classify Answers in Genesis an offender in this issue. The organization is headed by and staffed with competent scientists in their field, as I understand.
If at all, the AIG should serve as a challenge to all other age of the earth theorists, unless unity under your idea of the age of the earth is what will end the "hostility".

Personally, I could care less if the earth is a zillion years old, or just 6K years old, it has nothing to do with Christ, nothing to do with my eternal destiny, nothing to do with the glory which God has prepared for me and my brethren. In the end, Christ will come and destroy the old heaven and the old earth, and create new ones in its place, then what will it matter how old this present earth is ?

The only thing I care about is the old gospel story. As the song goes, "I love to tell the story, 'twill be my theme in glory, to tell the old, old story, of Jesus and His love".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:38 AM
AFI

What I meant by unity is both sides being willing to agree to disagree on this issue. To me there is a difference between disagreeing on an issue, and fighting over it. For example Answers in Genesis also disagrees with those who believe the earth is 10 thousand to 12 thousand years old. However while they talk about why they disagree on the point they recognize that the point should not prevent them from working together. On the other hand Answers in Genesis actively attacks old earth creationists like Hugh Ross. They go beyond discussing which theory is better to the point where they are describing old earth creationists as twisting their interpretation of the bible and basically of not really believing in the bible.
This is the problem I have. Creationists have long complained and with good reason against how evolutionists attempt to silence the creationist movement, but know the creationistís movement is doing the same thing with old earth creationists.

Finally you say that the age of the earth really doesnít matter and I would tend to agree with you except for the fact that I have been attacked because I believe in an old earth. Until organizations like answers in Genesis understand that I can be a Christian whether or not I believe the earth is only 6 thousand years old we have a problem.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 AM

I am sorry to know that you have been attacked for believing that the earth is older than AIG says it is, and for them taking your belief on the Bible to task.
I agree that one can be a Christian and not necessarily believe that the earth is a young earth, just as I believe that one can be a Christian and an atheist.
And let me tell you that I've been attacked for saying that, too.
But I will not elaborate on that on this thread lest I inadvertently derail the thread.
I personally go for the young earth theory, and in the end, that's what these are about - "theories". In the final analysis, we were not there when God created the earth, and we can only read about it.
What we believe about the age of the earth has no heavy bearing at all on the redemption that Christ did for His people.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM
AFI

ICT7133

Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

I would be interested to know how you deal with the distant starlight problem. I never really have gotten a good answer on this point from young earth creationist. Basically we are seeing light from stars that are billions of light-years away. How is this possible if the earth is only around 6 thousand years old?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFI View Post
ICT7133

Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

I would be interested to know how you deal with the distant starlight problem. I never really have gotten a good answer on this point from young earth creationist. Basically we are seeing light from stars that are billions of light-years away. How is this possible if the earth is only around 6 thousand years old?
I am not a physicist and my college math needs much to be desired, but I take this thing by faith. I can perhaps offer an analogy (is that the right word ?) by thinking of an engineer who had all the right tools at hand in undertaking to build a highway studded with landscaping for very, very small people.
Given all the tools at hand, he finishes these roads and other structures in five days, the roads and structures being contained in an area which he can span and travel end to end in all points in a matter of hours, if he wishes to.

The sixth day he goes and presents his creation to these little people who are so small in comparison to him that what takes him six days to complete they could not circumnavigate in their lifetime. A road for example that he travels in a matter of hours takes them a million years in their time considering the vastness of the structures they were placed in, contrasted with their smallness.

Do you see where I am going with this ?

I am sorry this is so poorly worded.

But what you wish to understand through the limited understanding of man using his tools of physics and so on, I simply try to understand by using the power, magnitude and sovereignty of God as my scaleboard.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
AFI

I agree that God can move across space and time instantly. However I am not quite sure what your point is. Are you saying that God created the light in between the starts and us, or are you saying that the stars arenít as far away as we thing they are and that the just look far away to us?

Finally yes you can take things by faith, but that is exactly why it is important that the chapters in genesis support an old earth just as much as if not more as a young earth. Once we understand that, then it just become a matter of evaluating which theory has more scientific backing.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:09 PM

Before I accepted Christ, Satan used the issue of the Earth's age and the creation/evolution argument to plant doubt in me over whether God actually existed. I wasn't an atheist but I did have trouble believing. As an engineering student in college, I had learned of radiocarbon dating along with other dating methods. I found the Bible to be in direct conflict with hard evidence. This was a roadblock to me that had to be crossed before I could overcome that doubt.

I found the Gap Theory of Creation, which to me, explained how the earth could be old with dinosaurs and all that stuff and how Adam and Eve were created only 6000 years ago. Whether this theory is truth or not didn't matter, it still helped erase my doubt in God and was partially responsible for me accepting him into my life.

Now that I know God and have no doubt whatsoever in his existence, the issue is not very important anymore to me. Just as ICT7133 said, it has nothing to do with my eternal destiny. But I think there are many doubters out there who need an answer they can believe in, just as I did. I think for Christians to shrug off the issue is a disservice to those looking for something they can believe in.

I am willing to agree to disagree and present a united front to the world in the hopes it might help someone to believe.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFI View Post
What I meant by unity is both sides being willing to agree to disagree on this issue.
That was first coined by none else but a Marxist.

And now this statement is widely used in this Global Transformational Marxist Society. They believe that if
they can change your language structure they will change the way you think. Welcome, your thinking like them,
and not like God.

But repent and speak God's Word, AF1 and don't deny Him nor His Word before men!

It is Written - It is Certain:
Amos 3:2-7
2 You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.

3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

4 Will a lion roar in the forest, when he hath no prey? will a young lion cry out of his den, if he have taken nothing?

5 Can a bird fall in a snare upon the earth, where no gin is for him? shall one take up a snare from the earth, and have taken nothing at all?

6 Shall a trumpet be ****n in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?

7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.
KJV

Last edited by JesusIsReal : 12-02-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 PM
AFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsReal View Post
Take was first coined by none else but a Marxist.

And now this statement is widely used in this Global Transformational Marxist Society.

Speak God's Word, AF1 and don't deny Him nor His Word before men!

It is Written - It is Certain:
Amos 3:2-7
2 You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.

3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

4 Will a lion roar in the forest, when he hath no prey? will a young lion cry out of his den, if he have taken nothing?

5 Can a bird fall in a snare upon the earth, where no gin is for him? shall one take up a snare from the earth, and have taken nothing at all?

6 Shall a trumpet be ****n in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?

7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.
KJV
JesusIsReal, firstly I am not denying God or his words.
Secondly this thread is in place to discuss the age of the earth controversy. If you wish to talk about that issue then please continue to post on this thread, however I would ask that you not attempt to change the subject to talking about a Global Transformational Marxist Society. You already have a thread on that topic, and I still have responses there that you have not responded to yet.
Thanks.