Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Evolution

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Lead Moderator

Default Evolution

The debate on evolution was sparked in modern times by "The Origin of Species" written by Charles Darwin. There is little doubt that the majority of biologists today accept the theory of evolution as scientific truth. Evolution, as opposed to what? Direct creation, as suggested by a literal interpretation of the book of Genesis. The whole controversy, however, is plagued by fuzzy thinking. I would like to set matters straight - at least, as I see it. The following points are, in order:
1. Evolution of our physical body (and the related phenomenon of adaptation to changing environmental conditions) is certainly possible, and as already suggested, accepted by most biologists today.

2. A minority of respected scientists still question this "theory" which has not yet attained the status of a "law" like gravity.

3. Man is a creature composed of body and soul. The soul has always been viewed as purely spiritual and, consequently, could never have evolved from physical matter. This is sound logic as long as one accepts the reality of a spiritual soul. Every believer does so.

4. The Christian belief in the soul functioning as the vessel to receive grace can never be scientifically demonstrated, nor can many of the mysteries of our faith. If a person chooses to accept only those truths that can be demonstrated by the scientific method, his life will correspondingly never elevate beyond the mundane.

5. God certainly could have directly created our bodies or allowed them to evolve as part of the master plan of His creative work. The soul was infused into our body by God Himself in some mysterious way. It did not evolve.

6. Even with respect to our physical body, God alone "created" the body or its necessary ingredients from nothing! How the body was directly formed or evolved is a matter of legitimate debate but either way the body, like everything else in the Universe, was ultimately all made by God from nothing. He alone possess that unique power!

7. The debate between "evolution" and "intelligent design" is a classic example of a false dichotomy. The evolutionary process or direct creation can both be the product of intelligent design. There is no question in fact that such is the case. Either way, God and His infinite intelligence are behind it all!

8. Only the fool denies God! The pseudo-sophisticate, in a vain effort to appear cleaver joins such folly. The most famous living astrophysicist, Stephen Hawking, opines that the best evidence indicates that everything began from an infinite point of singularity. This concept is indistinguishable from the clear implication set forth in the first passage of the Bible: "In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth" Genesis 1: 1. The Hebrew concept of "create" in this context has always meant making something from nothing. The world had a beginning according to our best and brightest astrophysicists and the most likely answer is simplicity itself: it all came from nothing just as Hawking has suggested. The ancient Greek philosophers, in fact, suggested that logic required that there be a first cause that depended upon nothing else for its own existence. God is precisely that!

9. The fool can hold to the belief, if he wishes, that the human being evolved from a molecular speck on the shore of a primordial sea as the result of random chance arising from chaos. Ask yourself in a quiet moment whether that preposterous notion comports with reason or even common sense. The alternative belief that the most magnificent machine that ever existed (the human body) was the product of intelligent design is both reasonable and from the point of view of common sense alone compelling. A watch implies a watch maker. Not even the most hardened atheist would accept for a moment that a clock on the wall appeared there by random chance, yet the same fool appears ready to accept the notion that the entire universe with all its wonders, including our own magnificent body, was the product of just such a phenomenon.

10. The existence of God is beyond doubt even though His nature will remain forever mysterious!

Last edited by olsen : 06-15-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-26-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Evolution

Alot of times it is hard to look at the Bible and then try to come to terms with things like evolution. If you believe the Bible is truly the word of God and each word is to be taken at face value then you probably could not believe in evolution. If, however, you believe that the Bible also contains stories that are to be used to guide you and encourage you and help you live a more fulfilled life then you could also believe that the story of creation is simply that--a story (inspired by God but not to be taken literally). If that is your belief then you could also accept theories like evolution and come to terms with that idea.

Either way, evolution or not, the fact that there is a God is undeniable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator

It's definitely true that many people forget that there is a big difference between "evolution" and "creation." I personally believe in evolution (to an extent). The ability for an organism to adapt to its environment implies a 'better' and more sophisticated mechanism. I do not believe, however, that dead matter (solids, liquids, gases, etc) can somehow "come to life" given the right conditions... life requires a 'creator'. A creator that is not bounded by the natural laws.

Last edited by mark : 07-29-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:43 PM

Smile Re: Evolution

Our God is supernatural. When we look at things through spiritual eyes, we see them in a completely different light. Our minds are finite but our God is infinite. Wow what a thought!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM

What if God created laws of physics - mathematical and gravitational - and laws of spirit - sowing and reaping - and the intertwining particles seen and unseen, and then, knowing what would happen, merely sat back to revel in His own creation, loving every sinew of it?

That way He doesn't have to micromanage any part of His creation, because He created it so perfectly. It grows and changes and moves in and of itself just as He thought it would.

Last edited by Davis : 11-06-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Minister

God created man........and the monkey..........he didnt creat one to have it turn into the other......
Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 AM

I think the greatest biologists, chemists, physicists and other great scientific minds should go into a lab, take each element of the periodic table, and mix it up. Change the heat, pressure, whatever environmental circumstances necessary. Make me a monkey, or a dog. Why not make a space alien? I'd be impressed with a tadpole or a single cell ameoba. Take the elements and create some form of life. They can explain their theories as gospel and force feed it to my children in the public schools. Why can't they make something living from nonliving materials. If it can happen naturally by chance over time, surely they can knock off millions of evolutionary years since they proclaim the chemical materials in the evolutionary muck with an attitude of certainty. Stir up some organic muck, put it in a high oxygen, high methane environment and bam, you get a squirrell.

What creating life to hard? Why not take a shark which God has already done the hard part, the creating life from nothing, and evolve it into a baboon. Since they can arogantly explain how it happened over time, surely they can adjust the variables to cause quicker evolution. I don't need a full grown baboon, I'll be convinced if someone can turn the shark into a black snake. I'm not hard to please.

Last edited by coachnathan : 12-01-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 AM
LewisM3

From my understanding the theory of evolution is just that a theory. It is not an absolute truth. Science has tried to create something from very little through cloning. They have already create and successfully implanted human organs in Europe. Science while very interesting and a necessary part of life can be funny at times. The interesting thing is that science recently tried to create a down sized version of the "Big Bang". They wanted to do so to be able to identify what science calls "the God particle". Science has often times proves the bible correct.

Oh and JesusIsReal just because something, a theory or idea, does not jive with your biblical opinion does not make it a doctrine of demons. I know you like to think this, because it is easier for you. But you are giving Satan way too much credit. Keep giving Satan that much credit and you will keep giving his demons rides to the grocery store. Like you mentioned in another post...
Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 AM

The theory of Evolution,or the theory that states that man evolved from an ameba to a fish to an amphibian to a bird to a rat to a monkey to a man, in my opinion is absurd. There are so many loop holes here. For example, If we did evolve from apes, why are there still apes?
Anyway, as far as the theory of Natural Selection, which involves survival of the fittest, and the evolution of one species into another species is logical and has been proven. The term "species" is the most specific term when referring to a living organism. Man did not come from apes, but it is highly probable that one cat is related to another cat. There have been examples of this, such as the finches that Charles Darwin studied on the Galapagos islands. It is most probable that the many different types of finches originally came from the same type of finch. Each finch was specifically adapted to a particular need. So, did God create all these different types of finches, or did He simply create a finch? I believe He created a finch and over many years genetics changed the birds on the different islands. I don't see anything wrong with this theory.
By the way, Charles Darwin himself recanted the theory that man had evolved from apes. He had made a mistake by taking his original theory of natural selection too far. He has been reported to become a believer in Jesus Christ, and I believe that he is in heaven today.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:20 AM

I know that saying the following doesn't prove anything, but I have a degree in physics and have examined some of the scientific evidence, and there is simply no support for the "theory of evolution." But there is a lot of evidence which points to creation and a young earth. There are plenty of creation websites and materials for those who wish to read for themselves. I believe in a literal 6 day creation and the world-wide flood of Noah's day. These best explain what we see. And the bottom line is that most who support evolution do so in spite of the fact that there is no hard evidence to support it. The true fact is that they don't want to acknowledge God, because if God exists, then there is a moral absolute, and most people, even most "scientists", want to live the way they want to live, so they try to push God out of the picture by denying His very existence. Do not let the supposed scientific knowledge of our day undermine your faith. It is simply another ploy by Satan to cheat both you and God.
Closed Thread