Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Jesus and Buddha

Old 03-30-2009, 11:08 AM
antonio

Default Jesus and Buddha

The famous Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh, finds the fundamental secret to happiness and salvation in Jesus' teaching to forgive and love everyone as yourself. In his book 'Living Buddha, Living Christ', he attempts to persuade the two communities to come to some common spiritual ground. Hanh describes how the two religions are more alike than most think when pushed down to the core foundations of both.To me, religious life is life. I do not see any reason to spend one's whole life tasting just one kind of fruit. We human beings can be nourished by the best values of many traditions. (pg.2)It is good that an orange is an orange and a mango is a mango. The colors, the smells, and the tastes are different, but looking deeply, we see that they are both authentic fruits. Looking more deeply, we can see the sunshine, the rain, the minerals, and the earth in both of them...If religions are authentic, they contain the same elements of stability, joy, peace, understanding, and love. The similarities as well as the differences are there. They differ only in terms of emphasis. Glucoise and acid are in all fruits, but their degrees differ. We cannot say that one is a real fruit and the other is not.(pg.111)Jesus told us to love our enemy. ‘Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’ This teaching helps us know how to look at the person we consider to be the cause of our suffering. If we practice looking deeply into his situation and the causes of how he came to be the way he is now, and if we visualize ourselves as being born in his condition, we may see that we could have become exactly like him. (pg. 83) People kill and are killed because they cling too tightly to their own beliefs and ideologies. When we believe that ours is the only faith that contains the truth, violence and suffering will surely be the result.THICH NHAT HANH, Living Buddha, Living Christ.
antonio
“My creed’s equality!”
Born Again American
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Heneni

Default Re: Jesus and Buddha

The way of the buddah is peace among all men. Unfortunately when i comes to jesus, it seems like he is going to destroy all worldly goverments. The rulers of this world, certainly wont like that, and will probably feel like their worlds have fallen apart. What would a buddist say about jesus, coming to take over the world?

Heneni
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio View Post
The famous Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh, finds the fundamental secret to happiness and salvation in Jesus' teaching to forgive and love everyone as yourself. In his book 'Living Buddha, Living Christ', he attempts to persuade the two communities to come to some common spiritual ground. Hanh describes how the two religions are more alike than most think when pushed down to the core foundations of both.To me, religious life is life. I do not see any reason to spend one's whole life tasting just one kind of fruit. We human beings can be nourished by the best values of many traditions. (pg.2)It is good that an orange is an orange and a mango is a mango. The colors, the smells, and the tastes are different, but looking deeply, we see that they are both authentic fruits. Looking more deeply, we can see the sunshine, the rain, the minerals, and the earth in both of them...If religions are authentic, they contain the same elements of stability, joy, peace, understanding, and love. The similarities as well as the differences are there. They differ only in terms of emphasis. Glucoise and acid are in all fruits, but their degrees differ. We cannot say that one is a real fruit and the other is not.(pg.111)Jesus told us to love our enemy. ‘Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’ This teaching helps us know how to look at the person we consider to be the cause of our suffering. If we practice looking deeply into his situation and the causes of how he came to be the way he is now, and if we visualize ourselves as being born in his condition, we may see that we could have become exactly like him. (pg. 83) People kill and are killed because they cling too tightly to their own beliefs and ideologies. When we believe that ours is the only faith that contains the truth, violence and suffering will surely be the result.THICH NHAT HANH, Living Buddha, Living Christ.
antonio
“My creed’s equality!”
Born Again American
If we are speaking about living peacefully together in this world alone then what you say may be true. The Mormons, the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Catholics and, yes, also the Buddhists all have a good set of rules or standards to live by. The problem comes in applying the rules or standards to oneself and to one another.

All men are born selfish and one of our goals should be to overcome that selfishness. Any time we really love another person or even an animal (such as a dog or a cat), we have in a measure overcome some of the selfishness. Man has many different sets of rules which if followed would result in a much better man's world. Among all of the great leaders with such a set of rules has any one of them made a bigger 'splash' than Jesus?

God has a plan which will take beyond "man's world" those who really learn to trust Him. Can we get there through the teachings or codes or rules of Buddha or Confucious or Mohammed or Joseph Smith or Hammurabi? Look at the following Bible verse:

"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."" Acts 4:12

The name it speaks of is Jesus, but few, even among designated Christians, really know who He is or what His name is. It is more than just a word or a designation for a man of flesh who walked in the Middle East about 2000 years ago.

"Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists took it upon themselves to call the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, "We exorcise you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches."

Also there were seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, who did so.

And the evil spirit answered and said, "Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?" Acts 19:13-15

Those sons of Scevs knew the word "Jesus" but they were missing something vital. If anyone, whether they have read the Christian Bible or not, is able to encounter that something so that they know what the name is and they have it in their heart, then there is, I believe, hope for them. Is that likely to happen outside of what we call Christianity?

What man calls Christianity, as a whole, falls far short of what Jesus was and is.

"And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," Matt 28:18-19

The authority of which Jesus speaks comes to Him from God. He tells us what to do, but do we really understand what He means? Immerse them, bury them, cover them, infiltrate them, fill them ... in "the name". This doesn't come about by lowering them into a stream or a pool of water. This comes through the Spirit of God. So where is that Spirit? It was in Jesus and it should or could be in each of us.

If obeying the rules alone would do it then probably more than Caleb and Joshua would have made it into the promised land. If rules alone would do it then many of those who followed the sayings and teaching of all these others mentioned here would also have made a big 'splash' like Jesus did.

"Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts." Zech 4:6

It is NOT the power of our own mind or of our own bodies or our own souls which will take us beyond 'man's world' in accord with God's plan. We will get there ONLY by getting into the NAME which is above every name. The Way is Jesus through the Spirit which God gave Him and will also give to each of us who reaches out to Him and asks.

So then, will simply saying the name "Jesus" necessarily get us into it? No!

God has given us all of the clues and all of the answers that we need to get there, but not everyone can see or hear. Not everyone really wants to...

We can get something 'good' here in this world, but is that all that there is?

"If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable." I Cor 15:19
Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 PM
antonio

Buddhism and Christianity
Is there a connection between Buddha and the Christ, between Buddhism and Christianity? Buddhism is thought to have been 500 years earlier than the origens of Christianity.
Many current scholars relevant to this field of study have admitted their serious consideration regarding a direct connection between Buddhism and Christianity. As for pointing out, and minutely describing at what point, how, and why such a connection was made, there may be none who can offer direct textual, epigraphical or any other such evidences deemed satisfactory to modern source criticism, regarding historical figures at the beginning of the Christian calendar, with syncronistic convictions regarding Buddhism and Christianity. Some who have theorized a connection between Buddhism and Christianity vaguely point to certain individuals or groups who, by their brand of doctrine, may have commenced borrowing from one faith to the other, such names as Asoka, Kanishka, the Ptolemys, Nagarjuna, among others appear often in speculitive form. The author Godfrey Higgins, in several of his books, claimed that after Asoka's subtle mandate of Buddhist worship, the Brahmins soon chased the Buddhists out of India where they established themselves with the European outposts of Asoka's missionaries.

In the thirteenth century, international travelers, such as Giovanni de Piano Carpini and William of Ruysbroeck, sent back reports of Buddhism as a religion whose scriptures, doctrine, saints, monastic life, meditation practices, and rituals were comparable to those of Christianity. When European Christians made more direct contact with Buddhism in the early 16th century many Catholic missionaries (f.e. Francis Xavier) sent home idyllic accounts of Buddhism.
Unfortunately, colonizers from Europe confiscated Buddhist properties often with the cooperation of Christian missionaries. And both the Dutch and the English repressed Buddhism in Sri Lanka Then there was the early cannonization of Buddha by the Roman Catholic Church but, later, it required the Portuguese historian Diego De Conto to remind the Vatican that their Christian Barlaam_and_Josaphat was actually the Buddha.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
PentecostalEvangelist

The most important difference between buddha and JESUS is:

buddha is dead, his bones are nothing more than rotted dust in his grave.

JESUS is alive forevermore HIS tomb is empty!

God Bless!

Michael Loudermilk
Old 03-30-2009, 02:56 PM

Hanh describes how the two religions are more alike than most think when pushed down to the core foundations of both.

You raise a very good point. However, Jesus is not a religion. He's the Son of the Most High God, who died for our sins, and rose from the dead. Buddists miss the fact that Jesus is the only way to the Father, not any set of belief system.

Do they accept the death and resurrection of Jesus? Or just a set of rules to follow?

I believe the point that Hanh's misses is that his is a religion, a set of rules to follow. Jesus is a relationship. It's all about having an intimate relationship with Jesus, God the Father and the Holy Spirit.

The buddists don't believe that anyone died for their sins and they believe Jesus was only a prophet. The belief in the Trinity is the essential belief in the Christian faith. We as Christians are called to believe in the Trinity, and then the understanding will come later as we continue in our faith to believe.

Please don't be deceived into thinking buddists beliefs are the same as Christianity. They don't have a Jesus in their religion who died for their sins. They don't believe in who Jesus was is what I'm trying to say. They discount what he did and who he is. I believe they think he was just a prophet. He was not.
Peace be to you!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 PM
BruceG

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio View Post
antonio
“My creed’s equality!”
Born Again American
Ultimately, Antonio, you are faced with the decision to accept Chorst and his teachings as is, no twisting or researching, or quoting others...accepting...or....denying.

Jesus said that all that came before Him are thieves and robbers. He said "I am the way, the truth, and the life and no man comes to the Father but by me."

Either he was a charlatan, and an egocentric maniac, with severe megalomaniac tendencies and a sereverly disturbed mind, or He was the only begotten Son of God as He said he was. Those are really your only choices. If he was the first? I would throw out the Bible and look for someone else to follow....quickly. But if He was who He said He was? I would quickly fall on my knees and stop all your twisting of truth to make sin ok, and repent and believe every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. You will find the peace you so desperately want, you really will.

I really care for you Antonio. You have grown on me....and not like a plantars wart, LOL. I am praying...
Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 PM
LewisM3

Antonio does present a good point. A pointless one, but none the less a good one. I honestly see nothing wrong with Buddahism but then my opinion is not necessary for it to exsist. On the other hand with regard to our friend Antonio. Only one statement comes to my mind when I read many of his posts. "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything."
May the love of the Lord shine upon all.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 AM
antonio

I refer only to zen buddhism—It's the path in which I was raised along side Roman Catholicism:
The kingdom of God is within each of us, every person, including zen Buddhists. Jesus announced he was one with the least of any of God’s creatures. That means he is one with every Buddhist.
Zen Buddhism goal is the truth that resides within. What resides within all of us is What God has written there. Also within, is the Kingdom and Jesus-together a magnificent Powerball of Spirit.

Catholic Bishop Bigandet, one of the leading Christian writers on Buddhism wrote: "In reading the particulars of the life of Buddha it is impossible not to feel reminded of many circumstances relating to our Savior's life as sketched by the evangelists. It may be said in favor of Buddhism that no philosophic-religious system has ever upheld to an equal degree the notions of a savior and deliverer, and the necessity of his mission for procuring the salvation of man."

Bishop Jean Paul Hilaire
wrote: "He [Buddha] requires humility, disregard of worldly wealth, patience and resignation in adversity, love to enemies ... non-resistance to evil, confession of sins and conversion

Paul Ambroise Bigandet
, the Catholic Bishop of Ramatha, wrote: "There are many moral precepts equally commanded and enforced in common by both creeds. It will not be rash to assert that most of the moral truths prescribed in the gospel are to be met with in the Buddhistic scriptures."

The rituals and religious structure of Catholicism resembles to a remarkable degree after those of Northern Buddhism (Lamaism) which the Encyclopedia Britannica states: "Lamaisnu with its shaven priests, its bells and rosaries, its images and holy water, its popes and bishops, its abbots and monks of many grades, its processions and feast days, its confessional and purgatory, and its worship of the double Virgin, so strongly resembles Romanism that the first Catholic missionaries thought it must be an imitation by the devil of the religion of Christ." The central object in every Buddhist temple is an image of Buddha The central object in every Catholic church is an image of Christ. Holy relics and the veneration of saints are prominent in both.

Teachings
(1) "Do to others as you would have them do to you." (Luke 6:31)
"Consider others as yourself." (Dhammapada 10:1)

(2) "If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also." (Luke 6:29)
"If anyone should give you a **** with his hand, with a stick, or with a knife, you should abandon any desires and utter no evil words." (Majjhima Nikaya 21:6)

(3) "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. From anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them back." (Luke 6:27-30)
"Hatreds do not ever cease in this world by hating, but by love: this is an eternal truth. Overcome anger by love, overcome evil by good ... Overcome the miser by giving, overcome the liar by truth." (Dhammapada 1.5 & 17.3)

(4) "Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me." (Matt. 25:45)
"If you do not tend one another, then who is there to tend to you? Whoever would tend me, he should tend the sick." (Vinaya, Mahavagga 8:26:3)

(5) "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take the sword shall perish by the sword." (Matt. 26:52)
"Abandoning the taking of life, the ascetic Gautama dwells refraining from taking life, without stick or sword." (Digha Nikaya 1:1:8)

(6) "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend." (John 15:12-13)
"Just as a mother would protect her only child at the risk of her own life, even so, cultivate a boundless heart towards all beings. Let your thoughts of boundless love pervade the whole world." (Sutta Nipata 149-150)

(7) "Grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." (John 1:17)
"The body of the Buddha is born of love, patience, gentleness and truth." (Vimalakirtinirdesha Sutra 2)

(8) "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in his field; it is the smallest of all the seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches." (Matt. 13:31-32)
"Do not underestimate good, thinking it will not affect you. Dripping water can fill a pitcher, drop by drop; one who is wise is filled with good, even if one accumulates it little by little." (Dhammapada 9:7)

(9) "Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, "Friend, let me take the speck out of your eye," when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor's eye." (Luke 6:41-42)
"The faults of others are easier to see than one's own; the faults of others are easily seen, for they are sifted like chaff, but one's own faults are hard to see. This is like the cheat who hides his dice and shows the dice of his opponent, calling attention to the other's shortcomings, continually thinking of accusing him." (Undanavarga 27:1)

(10) "They said to him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" He said to them, "Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." (John 8:4-7)
"Do not look at the faults of others, or what others have done or not done; observe what you yourself have done and have not done." (Dhammapada 4:7)

(11) "Your eye is the lamp of your body. If your eye is healthy your whole body is full of light; but if it is not healthy, your body is full of darkness. Therefore consider whether the light in you is full of darkness. If then your whole body is full of light, with no part of it in darkness, it will be as full of light as when a lamp gives you light with its rays." (Luke 11: 34-36)
"As a man with eyes who carries a lamp sees all objects, so too with one who has heard the Moral Law. He will become perfectly wise." (Udanavarga 22:4)

(12) "Your father in heaven makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous." (Matt. 5:45)
"That great cloud rains down on all whether their nature is superior or inferior. The light of the sun and the moon illuminates the whole world, both him who does well and him who does ill, both him who stands high and him who stands low." (Sadharmapundarika Sutra 5)

(13) "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God." (Luke 6:20)
"Let us live most happily, possessing nothing; let us feed on joy, like the radiant gods." (Dhammapada 15:4)

(14) "If you wish to be perfect, go sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven." (Matt.19:21)
"The avaricious do not go to heaven, the foolish do not extol charity. The wise one, however, rejoicing in charity, becomes thereby happy in the beyond." (Dhammapada 13:11)

(15) "He looked up and saw rich people putting their gifts into the treasury; he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. He said, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them; for all of them have contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in all she had to live on." (Luke 21:1-4)
"Giving is the noble expression of the benevolence of the mighty. Even dust, given in childish innocence, is a good gift. No gift that is given in good faith to a worthy recipient can be called small; it effects us so great." (Jatakamala 3:23)

(16) "Everyone who lives and believes in me will never die." (John 11:26)
"Those who have sufficient faith in me, sufficient love for me, are all headed for heaven or beyond." (Majjhima Nikaya 22:47)

(17) "Those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it." (Mark 8:35)
"With the relinquishing of all thought and egotism, the enlightened one is liberated through not clinging." (Majjhima Nikaya 72:15)

(18) "Foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." (Matt. 8:20)
"The thoughtful exert themselves; they do not delight in an abode. Like swans who have left their lake they leave their house and home." (Majjhima Nikaya)

(19) "When the devil had finished every test, he departed from him until an opportune time." (Luke 4:13)
"During the six years that the Bodhisattva practiced austerities, the demon followed behind him step by step, seeking an opportunity to harm him. But he found no opportunity whatsoever and went away discouraged and discontent." (Lalitavistara Sutra 18)

(20) "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." (Matt. 5:8)
"Anyone who enters into meditation on compassion can see Brahma with his own eyes, talk to him face to face and consult with him." (Digha Nikaya 19:43)

(21) "Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them." (John 20:26)
"He goes unhindered through a wall." (Anugattara Nikaya 3:60)

(22) "And after six days Jesus takes with him Peter, and James, and John, and leads them up into a high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them. And his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on Earth can white them." (Mark 9:2-3)
"Ananda, having arranged one set of golden robes on the body of the Lord, observed that against the Lord's body it appeared dulled. And he said, "It is wonderful, Lord, it is marvelous how clear and bright the Lord's skin appears! It looks even brighter than the golden robes in which it is clothed." (Digha Nikaya 16:4:37)

These are the things I stand for. For me they are the narrow path to happiness, abundant life and salvation.Lewis, if these mean nothing to you, you still have to find your own path. No path, is a path.
Blessings
Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 PM
LewisM3

As I said..."Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything". As you just stated you have fallen for anything. Antonio there is only one path it is very wide, but has a narrow gate. Understand and let me be clear for your benefit. I am not judging you. I have studied martial arts in three seperate asian countries. They taught many buhddist style ideals. I thought that they were good for the world. But I have always desired more, a deeper understanding of my origin and place in this world. I found all of that and more in the bible, God's living word. Upon that discovery all other teachings fell away. In other words I no longer had a need for other teachings that lead to a dead end road. Don't get me wrong their journeys are filled with great wisdom, and understanding. But all of that is in the bible. If a multiple belief system works for you great. But my fear is that soon if not already you will become disillusioned. And once again would stand for nothing because you have fallen for everything.
Please don't misunderstand. I am not saying these other belief systems are bad. I guess I just don't understand why you would want to clutter a beautifal mind with so much. When all the answers are in one place...