Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > The scientific method

Old 03-17-2009, 05:18 PM

Default The scientific method

I hope this may serve as a "reset" of sorts for us in our perception of science. I know it is preaching. So preach back to me.

I would first like to remind all of you that scripture say that everything God created is for us. Within the bounds of God's laws and morality there is nothing off limits to us. There is nothing except the will to lie that was not created by God. No one can lay claim to any portion of God's creation and say "You Christian can not come in here". If we want to go in we will go in. And so it is with all the realms of science.

There is nothing there too holy for us. There is nothing there we can not pass judgment on. However it would be wise and honest to admit when we have no knowledge of a particular area. I am not a doctor. Unless I am sure the doctor is putting one over on me I accept his or her's opinion. There is a certain amount of respect expected of us. Just because they may not be Christians does not mean they are dummy's.

The reason I am saying these things is to remind you that in Christ you have the upper hand. You have what everyone else needs. You need to be confident that what you have received from Christ is the good stuff. Just because you can not penetrate the rock hard skulls of an obstinate un believer does not mean you should shut up and go set down. Have confidence in the word of God.

Now back to science. Science is not a religion. There are no "tho shalt's" and no "thou shalt not's", within the bounds of good social behavior and the law. There is only good science and bad science. There are only good scientist and bad scientists. But there is nothing close minded about science. There is no area of interest to the human mind which one cannot approach using the "scientific method". Just because some defender of science says religion and science are incompatible does not mean they are. It just means their minds are too limited to see the connection. Science is a discipline. It has been developed over time. It is recorded in scripture that Solomon was an a scientist of sorts. He cataloged all the plant life in Israel. It is a way to approach the examination of the world in which you live. If your world has a spiritual element to it you can still apply the scientific method. It is a way to keep accurate track of your steps and your findings. If you like to cook you can apply the scientific method to your cooking. You can apply the scientific method to your study of scripture. You can apply the scientific method to the way you spread the Gospel around your neighborhood. And don't expect your findings to be well received by your peers. That seldom happens in the scientific community.

Faith is the cornerstone of science. We believe there is something more to find so we go looking. Who would embark upon a journey to another place without the expectation of finding something in this other place to justify the journey? Would a doctor seek a cure for a disease if they believed they were doomed to failure? A form of faith pulls the scientist forward just like it pulls the believer forward. Don't let those religious zealots of science tell you where the lines are drawn. A mind containing discipline and faith is a broader mind than one containing just discipline.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: The scientific method

Well said, Christkid. Lot of good sense there.

Last edited by Brad : 04-27-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 PM

Very good point. A lot of people get discouraged when an aethiest or anyone else that is not of the Christian faith argue against their beliefs or values. I was the same way, I felt if some one did not want to believe in Jesus then that was their problem, and I would give up. And through science many things are explained, God created it so that we would have an open door to the limitless things available to us. It is basically a playground for us to explore and learn new things.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Suspended for Review

Sorry - posted in the wrong thread...

Last edited by Brad : 04-27-2009 at 11:07 PM.