Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Science  > Do you believe in Christian healing?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:01 PM

Default Do you believe in Christian healing?

I'm reading the book by Episcopal pastor Morton Kelsey, Healing and Christianity, which claims to be the first comprehensive history of healing in the Christian Church (to the time it was written in 1973).
Although Pastor Kelsey urges churches to restore healing services, he starts chapter 2 with a very negative tone: "Most modern Christian churches believe that they have nothing to do officially with healing the sick. They do not feel that the church's actions-its religious acts-have any direct effect on human health."
Your comments on this opinion, and this book, would be much appreciated, especially comments from other authors.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-29-2018, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Do you believe in Christian healing?

Yes, i do. I do not belong to a church that practices that (praying for healing and being answered sometimes there and then), but recently someone's been sharing abt how they do it, and i was taking time to study it. Basically, i was told the biblical way Jesus showed on healing was 'commanding the mountain' to move,' with authority of a believer, not pretty asking the Lord to please, please heal me... As shown in examples of healing in Scripture, those who come or ask for healing are aggressive, not passive, and they receive the healing prayed for.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-29-2018, 09:05 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
I'm reading the book by Episcopal pastor Morton Kelsey, Healing and Christianity, which claims to be the first comprehensive history of healing in the Christian Church (to the time it was written in 1973).
Although Pastor Kelsey urges churches to restore healing services, he starts chapter 2 with a very negative tone: "Most modern Christian churches believe that they have nothing to do officially with healing the sick. They do not feel that the church's actions-its religious acts-have any direct effect on human health."
Your comments on this opinion, and this book, would be much appreciated, especially comments from other authors.
Do I believe in Christian healing? You have to since it is plain and clear in the Bible.

Do I believe in every account of Christian healing that I hear about? Nope.

I'll bet, though, that it happens often, and quietly, without fanfare, and that we never hear about those healings.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 08-02-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear, ,

If there is zeal enough to ask, then why isn’t there the same amount to oppose? I suspect because of the vastness of not knowing who they are in Christ and are happy if you will, take heart in the greater safety-net of pulling back from faith; “If it’s God’s will”, rather than granting amen to the text,
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.
3 John 1:2
But first, what I am sure they are in favor of is following Christ, right? Thereby, there could be a universal conflict of ensample handling, and each of these could be defined as well. Nevertheless, the theme reoccurs:
“Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.
“I beseech you, be you followers of me.
“Brothers, be followers together of me, ,”
“And you became followers of us, and of the Lord, ,”
“Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample”

(1 Corinthians 11:1, 1 Corinthians 4:16, Philippians 3:17, 1 Thessalonians 1:6, 2 Thessalonians 3:9)
Second, the point on what we choose to possess can only come down to two,
1. The Apostle’s ensample: “Then Peter said, , such as I have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk”.

(Acts 3:6)

2. The Safety-Net: Petition only
Some hits to consider:

Ten healing miracles

Ten healing miracles

Best Documented Healing site!!

Does God still heal the sick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCUtaM7bWqc&sns=em

Patient Intercession Sees Boy Healed (Watch to the end and then review what he was afflicted with at the start)

Last edited by pryz : 08-02-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:59 PM

I appreciate your comment, but don't know how to reply. What were you glad to hear?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I appreciate your comment, but don't know how to reply. What were you glad to hear?
To see the reports considered being a minimum, but further, in hopes that these documented and any other commenters possibly bring forth confirm that God still responds to our prayers in such a manner.

As for how to reply, , let's say more documented did come forth in waves of instances, , is this cause for God's people to regain a 'safe' distance or comfort in such providence?

Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 PM

"... is this cause for God's people to regain...
"...a 'safe' distance...
"...or comfort...
"...in such Providence?"
I don't think I understand these phrases.
Are you asking if Kelsey's book provides, or asks for, lots more ("waves") of instances of documentation of miraculous faith healings?
The book provides excellent, detailed summaries of healings reported in the Gospels, Acts, and Paul's letters. It observes that not just during the first century AD, but during most of the first millennium, even during the Dark Ages, there was relatively little reported skepticism about whether most reported faith healings were truthful, even though there was a growing number of reports that seem at least a bit improbable.
Kelsey provides analysis of both the growth of medical science, as well as both Catholic and protestant materialism and skepticism, but concludes that belief in faith healing is now increasing. He assures us healing is a reality and a manifestation of God's Love and Providence, even though God's Justice also allows illness, evil, suffering, and death.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:05 PM

“Ceasing to give, we cease to have;
Such is the law of love.”
- Richard Chenevix Trench

If I give the realm of equal possibilities to all those who call upon Christ, my question will remain divisible by two.

Sorry about taking “other authors” a bit too far.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:22 AM

Your reference to Ab Trench led me to the origin of the term antidisestablishmentarianism, which I have wondered about for years but I don't think I ever looked up. Thank you.
Do you suppose his poetry led the (future) Ab out of depression, or into it? Did he also write the equal possibilities theorem (above)? Could you please explain it? Give? Realm? Call? Question? Divisible?
Getting back to our faith-healing subject, is Healing viewed and practiced as a Sacrament in your Church (all readers please comment).
Old 08-15-2018, 05:45 PM

I have not wandered from the subject. But I do admit, subjecting my logic to dilly-dally has been entertaining. Such logic as mine agrees that faith to heal can have nothing thus far but the condition of unobstructed expectation, although in truth, I do have an unusual appreciation for such candor.

My Post-6, 4 & 8 Partial Definitions –
Quote:
"is this cause for God's people to regain a 'safe' distance"

"not knowing who they are in Christ, , , pulling back from faith; “If it’s God’s will”

"I give the realm of equal possibilities to all those who call upon Christ"
Possibly, you are not accustom to calling those who struggle, stay “safe”, “pull back” from healing, “God’s people”? That would be one instance to explain the mishandling of my question in post-6.

Quote:
Healing viewed and practiced as a Sacrament in your Church.
Depending on your use of the term ‘Sacrament’, The Lutheran Church we used to attend but are still in contact does participate in the laying on of hands for the infirm as often as is requested with the anointing oil.

Our current Church has seen healing success without this practice but by petitioning only. One individual had stage-4 cancer and was completely restored (before our joining), praise God!